The Night Of The Doctor

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Lonemagpie, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Ah, OK, I thought they aired it some time :alienblush:

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I'm not saying they shoudn't have done it given the opportunity. Absolutely I would've liked to see that. But I'm saying I can see the other side, why there was value in presenting a more familiar, iconic image rather than a variant.

3. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

So am I right in thinking that Paul posted this on his twitter account the other day? As I understand, the image isn't from either NOTD or the 1996 film. So what does it mean?

4. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, they did air "Night" at "some time" -- Christmas Day. Just not with "Day" on the anniversary. :)

Iconic to an older segment of fandom, sure. I'm not sure that McGann's single appearance makes his Wild Bill Hickok outfit iconic to everyone. *shrug*

Otherwise, I now get where you're coming from. I thought you were dismissing out of hand the idea that McGann could have appeared as his Doctor in costume in "Day" because his new costume was unknown. I see now that you didn't mean it in that way.

It means Paul McGann is trolling us. :)

"Night" was shot during two days of "Day," so it's pretty clear that during the shoot McGann went to the TARDIS set and had a picture (or a few) done of him, in his costume, in a console room.

5. Captaindemotion

^ Shite. I hoped (somewhat despite my better instincts) that it meant he'd shot some new stuff, be it for a new mini Ep or a multi-Doctor story. I did wonder why there was so little response to it.

6. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Let's face it. A new appearance by Paul McGann -- in Doctor Who proper or in a minisode -- isn't going to be announced via a picture on Twitter. :)

7. Captaindemotion

I know. But then again, they did keep NOTD pretty quiet (rumours aside) until the last minute.

8. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    What round things? Do you mean the hexagonal shapes on the walls?

If so, those are a hexagonal version of what used to be round - and they were called "roundels." There's technical stuff behind them - wiring, and other things that make the TARDIS work (at least that's how it was in the Classic episodes).

9. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nope, those are the hexagonal things. We're talking about he round things in the walls of practically every console room prior to 1996. COMPLETELY different things. ;)

Mark

10. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Please re-read my post. I did say the round things are from Classic Who, and they are called "roundels."

I just wondered if nuWho has changed the shape from round to hexagonal.

Or are you talking about the round things in the central column, or possibly the round things high up on the wall, near the ceiling, on the right-hand side of the picture?

11. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wasn't Night set up at the last minute when shooting of Day was ahead of schedule, leaving room to make a little extra if McGann was willing?

12. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Well there was a hexagonal scheme in the newer console rooms (esp. the current one), as well as the corridor shots from Doctor's Wife & Journey To The Centre...., not to mention on the walls of the Undergallery.

We were simply reiterating the dialogue between 10 & 11 about "the round things".

I thought it was super cool they made an appearance in Hurt's TARDIS.

13. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I'm jumping on board now that it would have been somewhat jarring to see McGann's new outfit at the end.

Unless they explained the War doctor more with a flashback scene to "Night Of The Doctor"

14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Still, I wouldn't hold my breath. Chances are, BBC wants Capaldi to cement himself as the Doctor before they film anything new with previous Doctors.

15. Captaindemotion

^ Yes, I agree and I think that's how it should be, though The 2 Doctors aired during Colin's first season, IIRC.

It's somewhat academic obviously, but I suspect that they'd be less worried about someone with Peter's experience and reputation being overshadowed by a returning Doctor (especially given how little time Paul spent in the role compared to Tom Baker or David Tennant) than they would have been in the first season for say Matt Smith.

16. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Your missing the joke, we were just repeating what Tennant and Smith were saying in TDOD. We know they are called roundels but I was just paraphrasing from that story. :)

17. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Good point, although given that we just had a high profile multi-Doctor special they really should hold off on any more for a few years at least.

18. Captaindemotion

Possibly, though I suppose the counter-argument could be made that given the enthusiastic response to NOTD, they ought to do something with McGann while that's still relatively fresh in people's minds.

19. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Cool photo! Too bad it wasn't better quality though.

20. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The glowing below the consol, is that suggesting that the time rotor is a massive plunger plunging deep into the nethers of the TARDIS?

That's so hot.