The Next Captain Should Be . . . (Fill In The Blank)!

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Red Ranger, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Sharr Khan

Sharr Khan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Never read the New Frontier books - but that's a guy I could get behind!

Someone, not expectingly "Trek" would be a nice change. A guy or a girl for that matter who has a completely not by the book take on Starship command and Federation policy.

Sharr

2. voss749

voss749 Commander Red Shirt

NO, Outright spoof is the wrong direction. Although a blackadder spoof of "blakes 7" or "farscape" would be freaking hilarious...thats not what Im thinking of.

What Im thinking of us is that Rowan Atkinsons character is a rather eccentric Romulan perhaps the first Romulan ever to command a federation starship. Of course certain people want him to fail and make it all but certain that he will fail if he goes by the book.

3. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

And he punched a snooty admiral. gotta love that! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

4. voss749

voss749 Commander Red Shirt

I for one would pay good money to see Robin Leffler punch out admiral Nechayev

5. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

One thing I always found humorous is that, after Kirk, every captain seems to have only one-step "differences" from the stereotypical WASP:

- Kirk: Male, American, White
    - Picard: Male, Non-American, White
    - Sisko: Male, American, Non-White
    - Janeway: Female, American, White

(I'm ignoring Archer since he was actually one step back, again in the stereotypical Male, American, White. But all of Enterprise seems to be a step-back from being relevant - that said with respect to the entertainment value of the show).

So I'm all for a Female, Non-American, Non-White captain! :)
    (personally I think that an Arab Female captain would be nice in the present political situation - I like my Star Trek relevant).

For the alien captain, I think it would be cool, but I feel that there are just as many possibilities here on Earth than on some other alien world.

6. Barbados Slim

Barbados Slim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree with an Arab or other middle Eastern character. Works for Sayid on Lost, who's the smartest and most cunning of the group.

I think the captain of the next show should be a supporting player and the show should focus on a group of young lieutenants, like "Lower Decks", "Space: Above and Beyond" or "Grey's Anatomy."