The New USS Discovery....

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by stueyross, Feb 1, 2017.

1. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Apologies if this has been previously floated: It just occurred to me, looking at the pic of Dave Combes' "A Difference a year makes" that the blue grill / strips running along the front edge of the secondary hull / nacelle pylons (if you can call them that) look to me to be deflectors, running either side of a central navigational deflector dish. So at least two forms of deflector tech, or at least two different looking manifestations of the same tech perhaps (glowing blue strips type, and a yellow dish type).

In a way, these two different types of deflector are combined in the example of the Kelvin timeline 09 1701 Enterprise, which has a yellow navigational deflector, with a glowing blue dish concave interior.

Back in the prime timeline, the TOS connie simply has the yellow navigational deflector (with no blue glow), and TMP 1701 Refit, has an orange glowing deflector dish at impulse, and turns blue when the starship is at warp.

So, in the USS Discovery's case, it appears that the deflector components are separated out each other, rather than combined (as can be seen in other examples of the 1701).

Alternatively, if the glowing blue strips / grills are not deflector-related, then it's likely they could be nacelle grills, akin to those on the 1701 Refit (TMP), positioned on the leading edge of the nacelle wings, rather than on the nacelles themselves (unless the wing is considered part of the nacelles themselves).

Anywho, excuse my rambling musings - just mulling those images...

:)

Markonian likes this.
  2. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Nah, I suspect they are just some glowy bits added to make the design look cooler. It works. ;)

saddestmoon and Markonian like this.
  3. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

I can't wait to see the ship's conference room wall on STD with all the golden sculptures of historical Discovery'ses and the inevitable debate about the true design of Discovery-C

[​IMG]

4. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Although it will be amusing to see the NX-04 Discovery being represented on the NCC-1031 before the NX-01 finally gets recognised on any future Enterprise.

somebuddyX, KennyB and SPCTRE like this.
  5. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's sort of cheating because we get to see NCC-1031 before there are any Enterprises around...

In terms of out-of-universe chronology, we already saw NX-01 commemorated aboard the E-E back in 2002. Although we could always argue it was in fact NX-02 or NX-05 for whatever reason, I guess, as the little label was off-focus.

Timo Saloniemi

6. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wait, really?

Discovery takes place 2 years after The Cage, so there is an Enterprise out there.

7. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

8. Tuskin38

mattyhugh and KirkusOveractus like this.
  9. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The photo is of the set with a randomly camera, so it might have been before they got it all in order to film the scene. Some of them are just set in randomly and not affixed yet.

10. Timo

What bugs me is that they're not to scale... I mean, yeah, the idea apparently was to have them all be the same size for aesthetic purposes, but if they're all side by side, I for one do wish to view that as a "comparison", perhaps even as a "timeline".

Timo Saloniemi

11. MadMan1701A

MadMan1701A Commodore Premium Member

Looking at the photo, I'm not seeing the NX-01? Where am I missing it? :)

-Ricky

12. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, that's prolly the actual reason - and I also agree it works visually! :)

Still - it can be fun connecting potentially non-existent dots together ;)

I've just realised: I've always like the glowy bits on Trek starships (particularly blue ones!) :D

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    Michael likes this.
  13. NeoStar9

NeoStar9 Commander Red Shirt

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way. The first thing that stood out to me. It always bugs me when you have things that can and should be ordered but they're not.

14. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

It still may not be - the rationalization on the 1701-D for the omission of the NX-01 was that it wasn't commissioned under the United Federation Of Planets - it was a pre-Federation ship (that served the Federation after it's formation, but still...) ;)
    ^^^
    If they keep to that rationale - you won't see the NX-04 on the wall. ;)

15. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Ex Machina had a scene post-TMP where Kirk sees someone adding the NX-01 image to the lineup on the RecDec, an oversight during the rusged refit. I think Timo was confused as the NX-01 was meant to be included on the Enterprise E model thing before they made them in the vertical case rather than across the room.

Star Trek Into Darkness had the NX-01 out on full display, so I'm sure Discovery might do it as a nod, since the OV-04 Discovery would be there too.

Markonian likes this.
  16. Tuskin38

They could also include one of the HMS Discoverys used in ocean (and arctic) exploration in a painting.

I can't find any sources online saying the NX-01 was going to be in the -E's observation lounge.

According to John Eaves, the missing models are:
    • Aircraft carrier USS Enterprise CVN-65
    • Space Shuttle
    • Oberth class (confirmed)
    • Miranda class (confirmed)
    • Excelsior class in original configuration
    • Intrepid class (confirmed)
    • Zefram Cochrane's Phoenix
    • Defiant class

https://johneaves.wordpress.com/2009/06/26/more-of-the-golden-starships/

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  17. Timo

Which is pretty nonsensical. Who'd think for a minute that the few square pictures in that shrine were immutable printouts, as opposed to display screens capable of showing anything from commercials to the full history of ships named Enterprise? "Adding" a ship is not an issue, because there would have been endless ranks of Enterprises by that date and the pictures seen would necessarily miss out on important highlights (they omit the two nuclear carriers, say).

Now I am really confused. As the picture linked above shows, the NX-01 was displayed on the E-E in Nemesis, in duplicate no less (those display cases are symmetrical to the left and right of the viewscreen). The original request from Eaves was for 12 different starships, but they ended up using 6 twice, these being NX-01, 1701, 1701-refit, 1701-B, 1701-C and 1701-D, as shown.

There was no 1701-E in the Nemesis display - although there was one in the long horizontal display case of First Contact (which of course had no NX-01, back in 1996, but logically enough had no other non-Starfleet Enterprises either).

Assuming they manage to do such a lineup correctly, that is. Picard's E-D wall never washed as a lineup of Enterprises because both the supposed B and the supposed C looked nothing like the part - so one wonders if that wasn't a lineup of ships named Stargazer instead...

(Of course, it's not indicated in canon that NX-04 should even exist, least of all named Discovery. The closest we come is Archer saying that three further "NX class" vessels were "on the drawing boards", but quite possibly nothing came out of those plans, considering even NX-02 was built to a modified design.)

Timo Saloniemi

18. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Just for fun. If the NCC-1031 has a wall of fame, it could include (a few) HMS Discovery, Discovery OV-04, Discovery NX-04, and the NCC-1031.

For the Shenzhou, we could have the present-day spacecraft, the Columbia-class one (from the Rise of the Federation novels), and maybe another intermediary.

Always thought this was a bit of a missed opportunity when we saw the Defiant in "In a Mirror, Darkly". (We did get the HMS Defiance, though).

19. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

Being the 1031 I hope it has a spooky nickname........for Halloween.

20. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

The Mummy, to complement the Sacophagus ship.