The New Mutants -- news, rumors, opix, etc;

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Apr 1, 2016.

1. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

That makes sense. But VOD is the same thing as renting from Blockbuster back in the day. I am as guilty as anybody in that I only "rent" movie on VOD when they are something I really want to see, but I remember renting four or five movies a couple of weekends a month back in the day--without blinking.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  2. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Tonally, it probably fits better with HBO Max than Disney+. I know D+ has all the Marvel but the content seems more in line with what's on HBO.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Right, I forgot about that. Dark Phoenix is already on there, so it wouldn't be the only X-Men movie there.

4. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I love this guy. Somehow, this schtick never gets old.

5. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The shtick is super easy. Barely an inconvenience.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  6. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

Just finished watching and thought it was good. Infinitely better than Dark Phoenix and Apocalypse. I liked the cast and thought the story was interesting. I'm glad the Fox X movies ended with a decent flick. It would have been nice to see this in the theater though. A sequel would have been nice too.

Vasquez Rocks likes this.
  7. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Now that I've finally seen it, I can sort of see why the studio maybe wanted reshoots...but I'm also glad that they never got around to it. It's a fair bet that the re-jigged version wouldn't have been better in many significant ways, and probably worse in some. The main thing I'd probably change would be fewer "info via screen text" shots. They started to feel like nervous exposition after a while.

Overall, I enjoyed it. (And I have a sneaking suspicion that I'll like it more on future reviewings.)

Edit:

Remember that brief little stink over spelling Bob McLeod's name wrong?

They did fix it. (Assuming it was ever incorrect, by Bob's own admission he hadn't seen the movie, just heard from someone else.) The Blu-ray spells it McLeod. Now quit yer bitchin', Bob. ;)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  8. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Honest opinion: This was in my eyes, the best X-Men movie out of the whole bunch. I mean I'm already a huge fan of Chris Claremont's run of New Mutants in the 80s (on which this movie is obviously based on) but I genuinely thought this was an excellent adaption, even with the changes they made (which aren't all that strange or out of nowhere, as I will explain below).

I thought the cast was excellent (especially Maisie Williams as Rahne and Anya Taylor-Joy as Illyana) and I think the link of mutants with the mentally ill was a very good allegory, seeing as mutants are supposed to be a stand in for minorities/people who fall out of the norm.
    Making Rahne and Dani lovers didn't come out of nowhere, their "special bond" was a focal point of the early years of New Mutants and was frequently implied to have a romantic element.
    And making the whole hospital a setup by Sinister and the New Mutants being trapped there to be trained into minions instead of being students to the X-Men is a pretty good adaption of the first few issues of the comic where
    (spoiler alert for an almost 40 year old comic book series, I guess)
    Professor Xavier was under possession of a Brood Queen and had gathered the New Mutants so that he could turn them into super powered Brood as well. Since they don't have most of the the traditional Marvel aliens in Fox's X-Men universe, Sinister was a good replacement.

The only "negative" thing I thought about the movie was that it seemed more like a pilot movie for a TV show than a big screen movie (Which, for the record I'd absolutely love, the ending gives enough setup for that and it would allow them to bring in characters like Karma, Magma and Cypher, maybe even Rusty, Skids, Boom-Boom and Richter from Simonson's run)

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Has anybody heard anything about if or when this might pop up on either HBOMax or one of the Disney streaming services? I want to see it, but for now I'm trying to stick to just stuff I can watch for free on the streaming services. Oh, and as long as stuff is available to watch legally online in the US, that's the only way I watch it.

10. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I got it at redbox a few months back using a free code from T-Mobile Tuesday... Not sure when it will actually come to free streaming. I think it would have to go to HBO first so Disney is stalling.

11. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Apparently next month. https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/mutants-coming-hbo-max-month/. Not a reliable site, but this news is plausible.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

If that's true that is perfect timing since I'm resubscribing to HBOMax so I can watch Godzilla vs Kong on release day.

13. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

And the Snyder Cut I assume?

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

No. I'll probably watch it eventually, but it's very low on my list of stuff on HBOMax I want to watch.

15. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Not really free though--we stopped subscribing to cable years ago, but are still paying about 50% of what we used to due to our various subscriptions. It's kind of like the myth of Canadian Health Care-- we pay for it, just in a different way than you guys in the U.S.

16. thribs

Really? It’s like the only thing to watch on that service until Godzilla

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've got Titans Season 2, Doom Patrol Season 2, His Dark Materials Season 2, the new Tom and Jerry movie, Joker, a bunch of old Godzilla and Studio Ghibli movies, the DCAU shows, a ton of DC animated movies, The Gremlins movie, Judas and the Black Messiah, and I've been wanting to rewatch Birds of Prey, Blade Runner 2049 and Kong: Skull Island.
    Those are just the highlights, I just counted and I've got around 295 things on my list, so I think I can find plenty of other things to watch.

18. thribs

If you watch Tom and Jerry you might get the JL movie. :)
    Problem with all the movies is that yo buy the movies I like so that side of subscription services don’t excite me.
    Titans was a while ago and it’s on Netflix here and so I don’t need to re up for that.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I get subscriptions services so I don't have to buy movies I like.

20. thribs

I’m just wary of subscription services. I prefer to keep them to a minimum. Feels like a waste of money otherwise. I will be getting Max for the next 2 months soon to watch Justice League, Godzilla and Mortal Kombat