The New Klingons

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by INACTIVEUSS Einstein, May 18, 2017.

?

Do you like the design of these new Klingons? What was your gut reaction?

1. I liked them

127 vote(s)
    46.4%
  2. I did not like them

147 vote(s)
    53.6%
  1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

You walked right in to this one:

Zonker, Psion and Mirror Mirror like this.
  2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it's pretty much in line with most of this kind of makeup I've seen in movies and TV shows lately.
    As for the different houses explanation, I don't really have a problem with it. I don't see any reason why the Klingons can't have a bit more diversity in their appearances.

3. Chekov's Phaser

Chekov's Phaser Waiting to be relevant. Fleet Captain

I don't think the new makeup looks cheap at all. I'm kind digging the look.

Now the new Starfleet uniforms on the other hand...

Those look cheap as hell. Like 90's shitty sci-fi movie cheap.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  4. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

With "cheap", I mean it reminds me a lot more of the Goa'uld from Stargate SG-1, than previous klingons from e.g. The Undiscovered country, DS9 or Into Darkness.

By that I mean the uniforms look rather like silver painted pads, than actual metallic armor (like they had from TMP on forward). And "hair" effects are pretty complicated and expensive, especially if they want it to look realistic. That's why a lot of cheaper sf-series, or one-off aliens in Trek, often are bald.

I dig the prosthetic face mask. That looks quite good (would be even better with mongol beards;)). But as a whole (rest of head, costumes) they look more Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda than GR's Star Trek.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I still don't really follow at all. Different strokes...:shrug:

6. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Klingon costumes were not "metallic" in that era in any respect - they were "leather" and fur get-ups with little metal bits glued on as trim, and easily recognizable as such.

Fateor and Kor like this.
  7. Mel Tenorio

Mel Tenorio Lieutenant Red Shirt

I like the idea of having different races of Klingons - it shows diversity. There were 5 races of Xindi and at one point there were 6. And so far we've seen 2 races of Trill.

8. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Xindi were socially racial.

They evolved in parallel, from different ancestors, and then had to deal with each other inventing fire and wheels at the same time.

9. Ketrick

Ketrick Commander Red Shirt

I'm reserving my judgment until after I watch some of the show. The new look will take some time getting used to, but I'm confident that I might come around to it. As far as the new look and canon, I can think of a few different possibilities of how the new look fits within canon in this time period. I'll just have to wait to see which direction is taken.

10. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sorry, that's what I meant, I didn't express myself really good there...

The "old" klingon costumes were always made by "real" materials. Leather with real metal bits. Even the JJverse klingon costumes - no metal at all - used "real" materials.

These "new" DIS-klingon costumes are one material (foam pads), pretending to be another material (probably something metallic, with spikes of evil and shit). That's what I meant with it coming across as "cheap". Shouldn't have said "cheap", they look very expensive. But it looks fake. As in not real. Which is an attribute normaly associated with "cheaper" SF-shows....

Totally off-topic and all... Just something always wanted to tell you: I LOVE your username! :guffaw:

Longinus and Chekov's Phaser like this.
  11. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Three, really, there was the symbiont and two humanoid variants, the first appearance being in TNG's "The Host", who looked very different from what came after in DS9 and could be considered a different species that still calls themselves Trill.

So yes, much diversity = much good storytelling. Forgive badly English...

12. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

These DSC Klingons have foreheads that look like TNG Klingons (ridge-wise and shape-wise, although not color-wise).

13. Yminale

Yminale Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Meh? The "new" Klingons look like the ones from TMP. You can tell that makeup was tweaked from TMP to STIII. My only concern is can the actor perform under all that prostetics.

14. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

I'll be happy if they are actually Fek'Ihri.

137th Gebirg likes this.
  15. Tyr

Tyr Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Compared to the female Klingon, Chris Obi's prosthetics give his face a bloated and swolen look. Reminds me of septic patients I had during my time working in an ICU.

16. Mirror Mirror

Mirror Mirror Commodore Commodore

You can pretty much assume they retconned the TNG trill out. The symbiont's did not look or act the same. Heck the TNG version totally overrote the host and could not use transporters.

17. JoeP

JoeP Captain Captain

Looks like T'Kuvma is called the "Torchbearer":
    http://www.startrek.com/article/exclusive-products-signings-more-set-for-sdcc

18. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

JoeP and Mirror Mirror like this.
  19. dswynne1

dswynne1 Captain Captain

There should be a third option: "indifferent". I would prefer this option, since I am more interested in whether or not there is an "in-story" reason for the design changes, rather than whether or not I like the actual design changes (answer: "Do not care"). Other than that, I am looking forward to more Klingons during this time, though I do hope that other races, especially the Andorians and the Tellerites, are featured.

20. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Reimagining®