The New Klingons

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by INACTIVEUSS Einstein, May 18, 2017.

?

Do you like the design of these new Klingons? What was your gut reaction?

1. I liked them

127 vote(s)
    46.7%
  2. I did not like them

145 vote(s)
    53.3%
  1. INACTIVEUSS Einstein

INACTIVEUSS Einstein Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I guess their fluted armor from the trailer isn't as unprecedented as we sometimes think. Someone posted this a while back, a piece of concept art from The Motion Picture, which gives an idea of just how radical the first redesign of the Klingons was - complete with very similar fluted armor:

[​IMG]

Considering how they got the concept of the USS DIscovery from that era, it wouldn't suprise me if they also got the new look of the Klingon armor from that piece of concept art. Someone also posted this image showing the influence of one of Gene Roddenbury's rejected TV pilots on their redesign, as they take influence from the Kreeg from Planet Earth:

[​IMG]

So they were meant to be xenophobic space samurai who attacked anything that entered their territory, and may have been inspired by lobsters and reptiles, with crustacean hands. That was a pretty big departure from TOS.

[​IMG]

We may be used to the late movie era/TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT Klingons, since they have appeared in about 95% of all appearances, but let's see what the future brings - I think they might refine the look over the run of the series - even the JJ Abrams redesign ran into the same trouble from what I've read, of rubber masks obscuring too much expression and individuality - and they came up with the same solution as TNG of emphasizing the head piece while toning back the parts around the face.

Yeah, I do think the facial hair would make them look far more Klingon.

Even a little goatee and mustache like General Chang.

If they don't want the death metal hair at least that.

[​IMG]

2. Tosk

Tosk Vice Admiral Admiral

It's been working for Star Wars Rebels (pulling from old Ralph McQuarrie designs) so...maybe?

INACTIVEUSS Einstein likes this.
  3. INACTIVEUSS Einstein

Just a bit strange how they are mixing things - i.e. retro USS Discovery, but then a clearly John Eaves DS9 looking USS Shenzhou. Let's wait and see what happens. When I first saw the Discovery I honestly thought they were gonna pull a Star Wars Rebels and go full-on 70s "lost era".

Also for ref, fluted armor and samurai facial hair:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A bit of a retrograde step backward, but I do like this photoshop.

[​IMG]

5. INACTIVEUSS Einstein

Wow, that is impressive.

6. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's not bad at all.

7. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't mind the new look at all. Things change and are re-interpreted all the time. In a few years, the fandom will have come to SOME sort of consensus on how DSC will fit into the overall continuum of things. It took a while, but we did the same things for ENT, TMP, TWOK, the Kelvin timeline, and all the times things had a big visual overhaul even within a single show.

My only real criticism on these Klingons comes from their outfits / uniforms and how that fits into their technology. Their whole motif is less sci-fi military, more epic fantasy. Less, well, klassic Klingon, and more Warhammer 40K. Or Necromonger. Or Uruk-Hai. I'm sure it all covers up some fancy technological nano weave or quantum flux protect-suit or something, but it looks a little more alien than we're used to for a Star Trek show. And once we get over the look, it could be awesome. :)

Mark

8. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

I don't mind the Klingons looking more alien, I just wish they had hair!

9. ELURIA

ELURIA Captain Captain

But isn't hair a very human thing?

10. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    Maybe some have hair. Maybe these just really like shaving. :shrug:

Seriously, we have next to nothing to go on.

11. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

A Klingon's beard is his pride...or something.

Are they Dwarves now?

CommanderRaytas likes this.
  12. CommanderRaytas

:guffaw:

FAR AWAAAAAY THE MISTYYYY MOOOOUNTAINS RIIIIIIISE!!!!!! HONOURABLYYYYYY!!!!!!

13. INACTIVEUSS Einstein

An old meme, from when people noted Thorin looked like Gowron:

[​IMG]

Ya know Gene Roddenbury wanted them to look alien, but not "too alien" - he felt that it might dehumanize them into a species that were mere monsters instead of a race with the full range of good and bad people that any race has - but I don't think that is an issue any more, as we have since had aliens on say Farscape who were far more dramatic, and writers successfully characterized them as individuals.

Jesse1066 and CommanderRaytas like this.
  14. CommanderRaytas

^This is awesome. :adore:

I think their looks don't determine whether they're monsters or good and balanced characters or not. The TOS Klingons were way more nuanced and they had nothing but shiny costumes, fake beards, and brown-ish make-up to distinguish them from humans.

15. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

Next thing you know people will say Vulcans look like Elves and Romulans are their Dark Elf cousins. :rommie:

16. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Are you kidding? Klingons don't shave their hair, they burn it with fire.

And you call yourself a Trek fan. :D

CommanderRaytas likes this.
  17. INACTIVEUSS Einstein

18. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

Well most aliens on Star Trek have hair so I wouldn't say it's human specific.

19. Robert D. Robot

Robert D. Robot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

One complaint I've heard over the years is how the individuals of 'primary' alien species on Trek all look too similar.... Very little diversity (Vulcan barbers need only learn how to give one haircut/hairstyle).

Human history shows that invading cultures intermix with those they conquer. And in the Trek Universe we have Spock, Torres, and Saavik and TNG episode "The Chase". Following those examples, I don't see why we couldn't have many quite interesting variations on the 'Klingon Look' resulting from the Klingon conquest of a world and subsequent intermixing. I think there would be more than one world out there in the Empire with inhabitants with a very distinctive look, a quite distinctive reputation and 'subculture' different from Qo'noS, yet very much an important part of the Klingon Empire.

Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations stuff.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  20. CommanderRaytas

:guffaw:

You're right. This is a disgrace!

So when can I expect the hoardes of Klingons seeking revenge because I dishonoured their grooming practices?