Spoilers The Marvels grade and discussion

How do you rate The Marvels?

• Total voters
Oh, i'm certain some are hoping beyond hope that there's some magical formula, or set of circumstances that will give The Marvels a 700 million dollar boost. There's no formula or magic that'll make audiences flock to see this film.

This 78% drop for "The Marvels" is just mind-blowing.

Never seen mainstream audiences reject a film on this scale, like this before. Audiences are truly voting with their wallets here. This film has really poor Word of Mouth, and legs.

Compare this to Elemental, which had a weak opening but had strong Word of Mouth and legged itself to a halfway respectable box office.

That isn't happening here.

This 78% drop for "The Marvels" is just mind-blowing.

Never seen mainstream audiences reject a film on this scale, like this before. Audiences are truly voting with their wallets here. This film has really poor Word of Mouth, and legs.

Compare this to Elemental, which had a weak opening but had strong Word of Mouth and legged itself to a halfway respectable box office.

That isn't happening here.

Audiences DO NOT want this movie to succeed. Many of them don't want to give it a chance for political reasons. Why continue to pretend?

I'm completely unsurprised that it's both tanking and getting positive reviews from people who've actually seen it. When it winds up on D+, I'll definitely check it out.

The audience The Marvels needs (needed) is far too indifferent to bother worrying about the film's success / failure. Let's just bear in mind most people aren't on bulletin boards / reddit talking about the MCU.

Audiences DO NOT want this movie to succeed. Many of them don't want to give it a chance for political reasons. Why continue to pretend?

You are overthinking it - audiences don't care. What is left is a shrinking hardcore of largely older male viewers who turn up for the first weekend.

What political reasons are you talking about?

The obvious ones.

But in this case it doesn't fly as 65% of the people who have gone to see it have been men and the largest group has been white men over 25.

For whatever women, black and muslim people had no interest in seeing it.

The obvious ones.

But in this case it doesn't fly as 65% of the people who have gone to see it have been men and the largest group has been white men over 25.

For whatever women, black and muslim people had no interest in seeing it.
I would be interested to know how oblivious the wider audience even is of this movie.
Wouldn’t be surprised if the vast majority doesn’t even know the movie exists.

I think also while we might want to invent complex reasons it could be simply the cultural moment has moved on - like hula hoops, disco and pogs.

Honestly, is it just so hard to believe that most just want to save money by watching it on D+ later because they were led to think they needed to see the D+ shows to understand the movie?

Ms Marvel was a bust on D+ in viewing figures, so how many people would even be aware the character had a show? Not many I doubt.

Ms Marvel was a bust on D+ in viewing figures, so how many people would even be aware the character had a show? Not many I doubt.
Think about how insane making this movie at its budget was to begin with. This is a relatively unknown character without a huge following. Why not do a low budget Marvel movie direct to D+? Disney has a budgeting problem. At least they were smart enough to not throw lots of cash at the first Antman movie.

You are overthinking it - audiences don't care. What is left is a shrinking hardcore of largely older male viewers who turn up for the first weekend.

Yeah, this isn't hate, it's apathy. Also, people always underestimate the impact of the previous movie on the next one. For example The Last Jedi depressed the take of Solo, the because the most important factor in deciding to see the movie is "Did I enjoy the last one". Captain Marvel got a boost from Infinity War, but The Marvels didn't get boosted by GOTG3, because as a direct sequel it's referenced to the original Captain Marvel. And the response to that movie, by general audiences, was "It's fine". And that was 5 years ago. So not a lot push to go rush out and see the new one.

Think about how insane making this movie at its budget was to begin with. This is a relatively unknown character without a huge following. Why not do a low budget Marvel movie direct to D+? Disney has a budgeting problem. At least they were smart enough to not throw lots of cash at the first Antman movie.

I think that if this movie arrived a couple of years ago, the result might have been different. If it had switched places with The Eternals, I bet it would have done a lot better.

Let's just bear in mind most people aren't on bulletin boards / reddit talking about the MCU.

Part of the problem is that some of the most die-hard MCU fans want to believe small groups of like-minded board members represent the average movie-goer (who--by that belief--should all pile into every MCU film at consistent numbers to make hits), when the nature of such patrons is--generally--not as dedicated to "cinematic universes" as the die-hards. That said, if a series is overpopulated with entries / is on the decline in terms of quality, its the average movie-goer who will be the first to stay away, as they were never aggressively invested in the notion of checking every movie and TV box of a series.

It would appear to be the case.

In the opening night premiere of Endgame, I had someone sitting right next to me who was watching/using their phone for a significant chunk of the film. It's like, why are you even here? :shrug:

Back