The Maple Leaf Lounge

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Avro Arrow, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, was talking to a friend of mine from Alberta on Sunday and he was telling me he really didn't want more of her. But apparently there are enough people that do and they keep getting voted in just like Dougie. Politics can be quite funny that way, in the sense that we never end up learning from our mistakes and keep the same choices that clearly haven't worked out the first time around.

Avro Arrow likes this.
  2. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Don't worry, soon we'll elect Poilievre at the Federal level and Dougie and Danielle will seem reasonable by comparison.

3. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

not sure on smith - she's just as far out in right field as poilievre.

been a couple of pieces in the Star that there's no much love lost between ford and crypto pete.

4. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

"Don't worry", you say! :eek::eek:

Sadly, I do fear that this is where we are heading next. Not looking forward to it at all. Although I do tend to agree with @Marc that Smith is just as far out there as Poilievre. I'm no fan of Ford, but if forced to choose one, I'd take him over the other two any day.

5. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thunderstorms to the south and the west of me at the moment.

6. wayoung

They haven't hit me yet and the forecast has really dropped. Originally they were gonna be about 2pm - 2 am but now they're just calling from 5-7.

It's so dry. Super wet Early spring to super dry late spring/early summer.

Edit: thunder has started nothing else.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2023
  7. Owain Taggart

Really getting a lot of haze from the forest fires from out in Quebec. The whole sky is filled with a thick smoky haze.

8. wayoung

Under a severe smog warning here.

9. Owain Taggart

The day I posted that, we actually got a poor air quality advisory for the region, and we got another one today.

I found an interesting interactive map that shows all the ongoing wildfires.
    https://firesmoke.ca/forecasts/current/

10. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I'm working from my office in downtown Ottawa today and the smoke is quite thick. I can still smell it inside and I can barely see across the Ottawa River.

11. wayoung

Yeah I'm south of Ottawa. Major air quality warnings. Sky is yellow and can't see very far. I've been keeping my place sealed because of my terrible asthma but can still get a wiff of it. I feel like it's gonna be staying indoors and playing video games after work week.

And I still see people posting on social media asking what is happening. Like, come on, it's been blared on every form of media for days now. I saw a couple people posting about how they left their windows open over night.

12. Savage Dragon

My home is south of Ottawa and early this morning the smoke didn't seem as bad as it is here downtown. That may have changed though. My son's school has informed us that kids will be staying inside today due to the air quality. I'm thinking about picking up a more robust air filter for my furnace on the way home tonight.

13. wayoung

I wonder how long it's gonna be like this.

14. wayoung

Oh, Environment Canada just updated air quality warnings. There's another fire that started, Ottawa is now off the charts. 1-10, 10 worse, Ottawa is listed at 10+.

Im at 7 south of Ottawa.

15. Savage Dragon

I saw that. Not great.

I had to laugh when I went to the cafeteria at work this morning and saw all the smokers outside. Is there not enough smoke in their lungs already?

Grendelsbayne likes this.
  16. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Mine's only 3 even though it's hazy and smokey outside.

Building hallways smell of smoke as there's no filtering of the outside air.

17. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Last night at the Jays game I swear I could see some haze. It’s not so bad today tho.

18. wayoung

Yeah I work with people across Canada and some in Toronto area said they were seeing it too.

My area just jumped to 9/10 on the Environment Canada scale. Was 7 when I woke up.

Despite duct taping my windows I can still smell it in my apartment. I'm not even bothering with my daily steps at this point. No physical activity at all if I can help it. I have had a few coughs as is thanks to still recovering from a major asthma incident not long ago.

19. Savage Dragon

A friend of mine just posted this.

upload_2023-6-6_13-16-23.png

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I’m up in the CN Tower now…can definitely see the haze. And also when I toured the harbor-it was really bad there too.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2023