Spoilers The Mandalorian season 2 discussion

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Turtletrekker, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would think when you're dealing with an idea as new-agey as the Force and the way Jedi are able to do almost anything just by 'feeling' it and using it that two people with a connection as profound as Luke and Anakin could be expected to be able to recognize each other no matter what they looked like.

cooleddie74 likes this.
  2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's kind of my thought process too, and obviously part of my preference is the fact that I grew up with that beautiful image of Luke looking at the three ghosts, as well as listening to the LP dramatization of the film. So, a lot of nostalgia wrapped up in it.

But, I agree, from the Force side Luke would know Anakin.

cooleddie74 likes this.
  3. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like the older guy myself as the original trilogy emphasizes that it's Luke's father not his contemporary. Seeing the three older men who had shaped Luke's life looking back at him just reads better to me. That Vader's act would undo all the evil that he had done is probably too neat and convenient but that didn't bother me as a child.

4. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Poor forgotten Uncle Owen...

jackoverfull likes this.
  5. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Lapti Nek is many things, "'40s noir" is not one of them.

6. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Wasn't it basically the equivalent of an 80's exercise show song?

David cgc likes this.
  7. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Take away the dated electronic noises and poor attempt to add 70s soul, and it's just a scat-infused swing -- exactly the type of thing you'd hear the clubhouse band play in the background juxtaposed against a scene where the mob boss is slobbering down oysters while leering at the cigarette girls as two goons walk in to give him some bad news. The music of noir film wasn't always slow, mopey trumpet riffs.

*ETA The music really doesn't matter. Both songs are too fucking awful to even think about. The difference is, as I said, the CGI monstrosity completely alters the focus of the scene. What's especially egregious is that falls under the director's purview. But he wasn't around to object.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  8. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

More or less. It was mostly late 70's style funk & disco. The album arrangement made it way more explicit though.

9. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    "Lapti Nek" is infinitely superior to "Jedi Rocks." That's just science.™

10. fireproof78

Nothing about Jabba's palace is really superior. It's just kind of there.

David cgc likes this.
  11. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

It's kind of funny to see people get uptight about a preference between two objectively mediocre songs. Neither are good. Both do what they're supposed to. Neither is any better or worse than the other. You're basically arguing over which shade of beige is the most exciting.

Though of course we all know what these comments are really about, and it's been over 20 years since the SEs. People just need to get over their fetish for bashing the changes and move on. It's boring.

Turtletrekker and The Nth Doctor like this.
  12. jackoverfull

jackoverfull Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Honestly, I’ve always found the whole Jedi Rocks sequence jarring and cartoonish. Lapti Nek was just there, it set the tone of the scene and stayed out of the way.

lightspeedbear likes this.
  13. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

They also fully redid the Ewok victory song at the end of the remastered movie, which was more advanced and orchestral and seemed less like the kind of music a primitive culture like the Ewoks would be singing. Anyone with the original score from the 80s (such as myself) would potentially react with a “WTF is that”?? :wtf:

Honestly I have no idea how anyone thought those changes were better than the original. And don’t get me started on the replacement of Old Anakin for New Anakin at the end either. That one really sent me into orbit.

14. jackoverfull

jackoverfull Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hated that as well. I couldn’t care less about Anakin being replaced, but the old song and images worked much better for me.

15. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

...or we could just continue to perpetually rehash decades old grievances. Whatever floats your boats...

jackoverfull likes this.
  16. fireproof78

17. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    The TrekBBS is sustained by rehashing grievances. ;) :p

18. lightspeedbear

lightspeedbear Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

We're only talking about this because of one person's opinion that altering a few pixels on Luke's face/improving that existing CG work is the same as adding Jedi Rocks, changing Sebastian Shaw for Hayden or introducing new scenes and songs, and should be reacted to identically.

dupersuper and jackoverfull like this.
  19. Josh Kelton

Josh Kelton Commander Red Shirt

20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

What if he was replaced with Sebastian Stan?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    Turtletrekker likes this.