Spoilers The Mandalorian season 2 discussion

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Turtletrekker, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Sometimes sarcasm and nudge wink humor gets lost in translation and it can be easy to misinterpret comments, especially in a fandom where so much of the commentary is negative. My suggestion is to make copious use of the available Emojis to express the intent of your post. A " ;) " at the end of your post might have helped convey your intent better.

fireproof78 and lightspeedbear like this.
  2. lightspeedbear

lightspeedbear Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Fair enough, I'll be sure to add emojis in future so there's no misunderstanding! :bolian:

Turtletrekker likes this.
  3. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

It was just announced that there will be a special episode of Disney Gallery on August 25 for the season 2 finale.

4. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The artist behind this video, has been hired by ILM/LucasFilm as a Senior Facial Capture artist

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Wow, that's really good work and I'm glad ILM has hired him.

I wonder if Disney will re-release that episode with those corrections?

6. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Good for them.

Next step: Mandalorian-the Special Edition!

cooleddie74 likes this.
  7. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Do it. Now that he's on their payroll they should use more Deepfake-type CGI to make sure the faces on older Legacy characters are as accurate as possible.

Turtletrekker and The Nth Doctor like this.
  8. lightspeedbear

Given there's no hard copies of Mandalorian and it's only on Disney+ I could easily see them making small corrections. Like removing Jeans Guy from The Heiress

Turtletrekker likes this.
  9. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Hey, if HBO can remove the Starbucks cup in Game of Thrones, Disney can correct Luke's face! :p

Turtletrekker and cooleddie74 like this.
  10. fireproof78

Altering film is now Ok. Someone tell Lucas!

11. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

They've already made some adjustments to Wandavision's VFX, so why not? (I mean besides the obvious cost benefit calculation)
    I suspect if Lucas was still in charge it would have already been done. I mean this is a guy that shot some new pick-up footage for his Young Indy tv show while shooting Phantom Menace in Tunisia...five years after it had been cancelled. :lol: No joke, word is there's footage in the can that was edited in long after the show came off the air.

Seriously though from what I gather, the reason they didn't use deepfake in the first place (which isn't as perfect as some seem to think; it has it's own strengths and weaknesses) is that they're already deeply invested in R&D for their own tech, as seen in both Rogue One & Rise of Skywalker.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    Turtletrekker and lightspeedbear like this.
  12. fireproof78

I have no issue with it. I'm amused AF by this acceptance by the fan base.

13. lightspeedbear

Improving and making subtle tweaks to a facial reconstruction that already relied heavily on CG technology is a lot different to:

https://i.imgur.com/BwkM0RS.gif

dupersuper and The Nth Doctor like this.
  14. Turtletrekker

Yeah, that looks a lot better. In the original, it was good enough that I knew who was supposed to be. But in the second version, If I didn't know better, I could have been convinced it was really him.

And the fact that lucasfilm decided they needed a "senior facial capture artist" in the first place, means they have a lot of plans to use that technology in their upcoming productions. I'm down for more Luke. It really does open up storytelling possibilities, but only if it looks convincing enough.

Skywalker likes this.
  15. fireproof78

It's not, really. The base principle is the same.

16. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not sure why it needs to have anything to do with principle at all. Two artists can make retroactive changes to their work and one of them is well received and the other isn't. It's still art at the end of the day. The central driving question is always going to be whether it works for people or not.

Just because some particularly self-righteous internet fans made obviously poorly considered rants about things being changed doesn't mean it was ever actually the act of changing things that was the central problem.

The Nth Doctor and Turtletrekker like this.
  17. fireproof78

Really? Ok, then.

18. Turtletrekker

Agreed. I'm even thinking that they could make some changes on Leia in Rogue One. I never had any problem with Tarkin.

dupersuper likes this.
  19. lightspeedbear

No it isn't. They couldn't be further apart.

One scene relies on the technology being at its absolute best to sell an illusion.
    The other was a needless and jarring addition, added just because, that completely alters the scene.

dupersuper likes this.
  20. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I don't disagree, but paradoxically I think this is because Leia is actually a lot *closer* to being right and thus a little further down the old uncanny valley.
    Tarkin varied quite wildly from "totally convincing, I could swear voodoo was involved" to "OK, that's clearly just a very highly detailed CG head tracked onto as performance captured actor".
    With Leia what you get is "that's totally Carrie Fisher but...what are her eyes doing and why is it making me cringe?"

So I honestly think the Leia shot would be the more straight forward to fix, both because of the above and because from a technical standpoint it's just one shot, very evenly lit, with a more or less locked off camera, and that only lasts a few seconds. Tarkin seems like a much more involved process.