The Magicians Season 2

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The original Tinkerbell was intent on killing Wendy for taking her "boyfriend" Peter.

2. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That dragon just seemed to want to have stuff, not to actually use it.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that was the impression I got too, that she just liked to collect rare things.

4. tenmei

tenmei Commodore Commodore

But that results in - if someone offered her something shinier and rarer, would she sell the button to someone else? And who would be likely to buy the button?

5. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well you can't really have a show called The Magicians without any magic on it, so it's not surprising that little plot twist lasted all of about 5 seconds.

That said, what the actual f? The Plumber? Didn't see that one coming.

Liked the little glimpse of the place formerly known as Cuba.

Loved, LOVED, the 3 and a half minute previously-on-The-Magicians by Ember at the beginning. That was fun.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that was hilarious. I have to admit, it didn't occur to me until the recap that he could have had a hand in so much of what was going on.
    I have to admit, the conflict with him was a lot more low key than I was expecting, but the stuff with him and his brother was pretty good.
    The whole Plumber turning off the magic twist was a cool surprise, although like you said, the end was pretty much to be expected. There is still the question of why Julia appears to possibly be the only person in all of the worlds with magic. Could it be tied to Persephone?
    I'm wondering who or what the Lamprey is.
    So does the fact that some of the fairies were flying mean they still have magic?

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

8. tenmei

I think I need to try and finish Book 2 and read Book 3 by the time Season 3 rolled round.

I wanna see the magical chess-esque game again, I forget what they call it - but in the books the sequence is much longer than the first season appearance.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was reading through Wikipedia's synopsis of the first two books, and I was surprised how much did come from the books. I had been holding off buying them because I kept hoping they'd put them on sale while the new season aired, but now that it's over it's probably not happening. I'm thinking I'm gonna just have to suck it up and pay full price.

10. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

After binging a bunch of episodes I have learned that "fuck" needs to be minimally bleeped but not "cunt". My whole swear word hierarchy has been thrown into question lol.

I may be off base but I think the wellspring may be a conduit for magic but not necessarily the actual end source. So for humans it provides the connection to tap into magic but inherently magical creatures like fairies may tap into it through other means.

11. tenmei

So that's two fronts where we've had the parents of God's come into the plot - the threat of Ember and Umber's parents turning up, and Our Lady of the Underground turning out to be Renard's mother. It makes you wonder who Renard's father could be - given he's presumably a Full God.

Also - if magic is gone, then how in the heck did they get back from Brakebills South, and does that also mean Mayakovsky is back at Brakebills North, Presumably Brakebills South is now completely off the board as a facility.

I'm also guessing that Marlee Matlin's character, Harriet, is being set up for something more in the third season. And did not realise that was Candis Cayne as the Fairy Queen.

The symmetry of the season finale titles is fun too, "Have you brought me little cakes" and "We have brought you little cakes"

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's funny, I didn't notice that with the titles.
    Yeah, I've been having more and more trouble figuring out was is and isn't bleep worthy lately. The other thing that kind of cracks me up is it seems like as long as you don't swear you can pretty much talk about whatever you want, no matter how graphic.

Yeah, in the interview they did say that non-humans do still have access to their own magic.

13. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

At Midnight 2017 06 08 EXTENDED UNCENSORED

The Magicians play @Midnight.

14. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017