Spoilers The LEGO Batman Movie - Grading and Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Feb 3, 2017.

?

Grade The LEGO Batman Movie

1. A+

9.1%
  2. A

45.5%
  3. A-

18.2%
  4. B+

18.2%
  5. B

4.5%
  6. B-

4.5%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was surprised I couldn't find a thread for this, since it comes out in the US next week I figured I'd go ahead and start a review thread.
    After being a huge hit in The LEGO Movie, Will Arnett's LEGO Batman is getting his own movie, which will also incorporate many of the DC Comics character's most popular enemies and allies, including Robin, Alfred, Batgirl, The Joker, Harley Quinn and many more.
    Poster:
    [​IMG]
    Director: Chris McKay
    Writers: Seth Grahame-Smith, Chris McKay, Eric Sommers
    Cast:
    Will Arnett as Bruce Wayne/Batman (returning from The Lego Movie)
    Zach Galifianakis as The Joker
    Micheal Cena as Dick Grayson/Robin
    Rosario Dawson as Barbara Gordon/Batgirl
    Ralph Fiennes as Alfred Pennyworth
    Mariah Carey as Mayor McCaskill
    Jenny Slate as Dr. Harleen Quinzel/Harley Quinn
    Hector Elizondo as Commissioner James Gordon
    Billy Dee Williams as Harvey Dent/Two-Face (reprising a role he first played in live action in Tim Burton's 1989 Batman movie)
    Chris Hardwick
    Conan O'Brien as The Riddler
    Jason Mantzoukas as The Scarecrow
    Doug Benson as Bane
    Zoe Kravitz as Catwoman
    Kate Miccuci as Clayface
    Riki Lindholme as Poison Ivy
    Channing Tatum as Superman (returning from The LEGO Movie)
    Jonah Hill as Green Lantern (returning from The LEGO Movie)
    Adam Devine as Barry Allen/The Flash

A few characters in the Collider article this list came from could be spoilers:
    The Ubers:
    Eddie Izzard as Voldemort
    Seth Green as King Kong
    Jemaine Clement as Sauron
    Ellie Kemper as Phyllis
    We've also gotten a new song, Who's The (Bat) Man, with Fall Out Boy's Patrick Stump singing as Batman.

2. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I'm definitely looking forward to this, as a fan of Batman, LEGOs and The LEGO Movie.

I didn't know there were going to be surprise characters, so I'm definitely not clicking on that. I hope they manage to cram in as many Batman allies and villains as they can.

I've also been kind of hoping Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamil will at least make a cameo.

3. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll definitely go see it, but I think I'll wait a couple of weeks for fewer excited screaming children in the theater.

Those kids these days, having fun at the movies, pffft! :D

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

5. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm very excited for this. It's so rare we get what looks to be an entertaining superhero movie with the DC characters these days!

And the casting... Billy D as Two-Face is genius!

6. dahj

There were 2 last year... :nyah:

7. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

Do tell. We must have missed them because of all the publicity surrounding Batman v. Superman and Suicide Squad. :p

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  8. dahj

Well there's your problem... looking at publicity :p

Anyways, they were called Dawn of Justice and Harley and Pals. :D

Snaploud likes this.
  9. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm hoping my niece wants to see this, it would make up for having to watch a My Little Pony movie in a theater full of bronies.

10. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Step aside The Dark Knight. The Lego Batman Movie has Bat-outdone you.

Not only was it awesome, it was Bat-awesome!

I loved how they managed to cram in so many Bat-references, including quite a few that flew over my head or I completely missed. Even the Timmverse animated series got a bunch of references, although I was bummed out Kevin Conroy didn't get a cameo. I can't wait to get this film on DVD just so I can pause it every five seconds to catch all of the references. :lol:

I was very happy that I got my wish and they managed to cram in just about every single Batman villain known, including the likes of King Tut and Egghead, although I don't think I saw Ra's Al Ghul (or Talia) in the mix.

The Ubers were a lot of fun, especially Sauron and Voldemort, although I thought it was strange that they cast the great and amazing Eddie Izzard instead of tapping Ralph Fiennes for double duty.

There were many great musical riffs through out the film, but the ones I loved the most were the riffs on Hans Zimmer and James Howard Newton.

11. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Can't wait to see this..

I wonder if NOT using Finnes as Voldy was supposed to be ironic, since he plays Alfred, or if Alfred is just a much bigger part in the movie and thus befitting him more appropriately.

12. dahj

@JD Don't forget to add the grading poll :techman:

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

:brickwall:D'Oh, I can't believe I forgot the poll. I looked and I think a mod will have to add it for me.

14. Mr. Adventure

Fun movie, I was surprised with the quantity of references to Batman 66 (and to Apple products). Lego Bane having the movie Bane voice was good for some laughs. I think my audience had a way higher than expected proportion of adults to kids.

15. dahj

You should be able to do it yourself I think. Above the first post in the right corner there should be a "Thread Tools" menu, and then you select Add Poll from the dropdown.

16. Mr. Adventure

After sleeping on it, I wonder if the movie would've been better if it had stuck to keeping the focus on villains just from the Bat-mythos. I think as-is perhaps it made the movie too busy and reduced the individual character time too much. I'm not married to the idea and would have to watch it again but it was just a thought.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

OK thanks. I added the poll.

18. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

The scary thing is - I enjoyed this film more than a good number of the Live-Action DC/Wanner Bros. produced over the last few years; and as for the song video above - it's better when you see how they used it in the film - and I laughed hard at the line (and yes, it IS an obvious line/lyric, but still funny to me):
    "Who always pays his taxes?"

"NOT Batman!"
    :lol:

19. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

This movie was very entertaining. I was cracking up laughing during the first part of the movie, and the last sequence was awesome as well. It kinda got bogged down in the middle, but this movie allowed me to escape the real world for an hour and a half and just laugh and have a great time. As someone who thought The Lego Movie was slightly overrated, this movie was great and was better than that.

20. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

I loved the references... Especially to the '66 version... Lots of great in-jokes and I LOVED seeing the
    Daleks

Love-fest aside, I too, felt that it got bogged down, more toward the climax.. Also, while I know this is essentially a kid's movie, it seemed to be more kid-friendly than the Lego Movie did, if that's possible... It didn't ruin my enjoyment of the movie, overall, but the resolution to the disaster at the end seemed a little too... Hmmmm... I don't know how to put it.. But it seemed too contrived, I guess..

Anyway.. Definitely worth the price of admission... I was surprised that the theater was not even half full, however..