The least disliked episode of TNG - Season Two

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by BlueStuff, Jul 23, 2013.

1. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

You're thinking of an entirely different episode...

Anyway, off goes Contagion, it's the weakest of the lot.
    It has Romulans, entering th neutral zone, a mysterious ancient culture and a Galaxy class ship blowing up, it should have been a far more coherent episode instead of a jumbled mess it turned out.

Not to mention the resolution of the episode is essentially "have you tried turning it off and on again?"...

The Schizoid Man
    The Measure of a Man
    Pen Pals
    Q Who?
    The Emissary
    Peak Performance

2. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

However there was a TV series that adapted the stories that started in 1984 and ran to 1994, On ITV in the UK.

3. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This selection should be voided as the poster obviously has no idea of what he has voted for.

It's not the one with the space station. It's the one with the historian from the future who turns out to be a thief from the past.

4. MikeS

I've removed Pen Pals, not because it is a poor episode but because it is the worst of the list we're left with. If I have to voice a reason it is that Riker comes across as a douche with his reasoning behind allowing the species to die.

The Schizoid Man
    A Matter of Honour
    The Measure of a Man
    Q Who?
    The Emissary
    Peak Performance

5. BlueStuff

BlueStuff Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually, that's A Matter of Time. A Matter of Honor features Riker being assigned to a Klingon ship.

Now Peak Performance gets the boot because the guest star annoyed the hell out of me. He really overplayed the squirmy, pompous arrogance of that character. He did something with his eyes that reminded me of the "shifty dog" from that episode of the Simpsons where Homer tries to convince Mel Gibson a dog in his movie should be given shifty eyes so that the audience would suspect him.

The Schizoid Man
    A Matter of Honour
    The Measure of a Man
    Q Who?
    The Emissary

6. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

Man this last group has what seems to be best of S2 in it. The only one that stands out to me as not belonging is the awkward (and improbable) "The Schizoid Man".

"I can safely say, that to know him, was to love him. And to love him, was to know him...
    Those who knew him, loved him, while those who did not know him, loved him from afar." -- Graves in Data's body at his former body's funeral, with a sh*t eating grin on his face.

A Matter of Honour
    The Measure of a Man
    Q Who?
    The Emissary

7. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I imagine the final two will be a tough one. Perhaps it can be put up to a vote? :lol:

Funny that both Klingon-centric episodes make it to the top 4. Of the 4, I think A Matter of Honor is the weakest link. Both Klingon episodes have silly premises - one with a frozen crew who wake up to wreak havoc, and the other an officer exchange program. BTW, why did it take a full season for the Klingons to send over an officer in return?

What weakens A Matter of Honor is the Mendon/Mordok thing. I can't remember which is which, but his fish out of water subplot was weird. The Emissary is free of a silly subplot like that, and Worf/Dorn really gets to shine in it.

The Measure of a Man
    Q Who?
    The Emissary

8. Mario de Monti

Mario de Monti Captain Captain

I can´t possibly ditch Q introducing us to the Borg or Data´s struggle to be accepted as a person so I´m afraid "The Emissary" has to go.

The Measure of a Man
    Q Who?

Now who makes the final call for season two?

9. SpHeRe31459

Man... I knew it would come down to these two... I really don't know how to call that....

10. Beta-Z

Beta-Z Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well then, at last "Measure" has to go.

The Winner is: "Q who?" - it lays the ground to the best ST-Twoparter and Cliffhanger ever.

:)

11. SpHeRe31459

Well there ya go I guess...

12. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

And are we really totally shocked by this result?

13. Beta-Z

Beta-Z Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yes, totally! :rommie:
    Not in my wildest dreams i'd have expected that. ;)

14. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For the Season 3 thread, can BOBW Part I be removed right away so the list could be interesting. :lol:

15. MikeS

This is the second forum I've visited today where my sarcasm has not come across the way I intended. Perhaps I should just give up.

Of course I know it's the one featuring Riker on a Klingon ship. :bolian: :lol: