The Least Disliked Episode 2023: VOY Season 1

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by BlueStuff, May 29, 2023.

1. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

Shucks. I remember the rumor mill at the time and believed it.

But after "Flashback" in season 2, where everyone is sleep-acting through the memory flashback scenes, it's probably for the best.

2. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Durst and Carey were two short-changed characters, and by short-changing them, the writers also short-changed two of the main cast members. Funny how it works that way.

Be that as it may, yeah. State of Flux is a worthy winner in a middling first season.

3. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

"STATE OF FLUX" is indeed a worthy winner of this season.

Regarding Chakotay, he proved his integrity from the jump... he was the only former Starfleet officer (that we see) who resigned his commission and THEN joined the Maquis. Therefore, he cannot be labeled a traitor. Hudson, Ro, Eddington... they all became Maquis while still in Starfleet.

It's a big distinction, and does much to prove Chakotay's sense of honor, trustworthiness, and integrity.

4. ReddishAlert

ReddishAlert Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Wasn’t quick enough to vote! Lol But I approve of State of Flux. Seska episodes are always good.

5. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

We lost her way too soon.

Seven of Five and ReddishAlert like this.
  6. Sumire

Sumire Commander Red Shirt

This reminds me of a friend I have who left her religion. Most people just stop attending services but she went to the head of her church and tendered her resignation while making it very clear the exact stance she was protesting by her resignation. That really spoke to her level of upset and I think her hope that perhaps those in charge could right the ship, so to speak. I feel Chakotay’s resignation hints at that same hope, that maybe someone, somewhere in the upper echelons of Starfleet, would take note of his reasoning.

Farscape One and Brennyren like this.
  7. Phaser Two

Phaser Two Commodore Premium Member

Deserving winner. Mine is "Cathexis," but I knew someone would dump it because of the wheel.

ReddishAlert and Farscape One like this.
  8. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

I LOVE "CATHEXIS"!

The paranoia, the creepy atmosphere... it was a very well directed episode.

ReddishAlert and Phaser Two like this.
  9. Phaser Two

Yay!!! :beer:

It's very well written and acted too. It's also (not for the last time for Voyager, to put it mildly) pure TOS. So those of us TOS-primaries with Voyager in the secondary slot like me are pretty much going to love it.

Farscape One likes this.
  10. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

The fact that the Doctor knew as much about how to use the wheel as he did any other treatment was a nice insight into his character.

Farscape One and ReddishAlert like this.
  11. Sumire

Sumire Commander Red Shirt

(._.) sorry!

12. Phaser Two

:borg: Not at all. Coming to the thread after all the picks ended, I was stunned it lasted as long as it did. :techman:

13. Summer Solstice

Summer Solstice Captain Captain

Being a main character means you have the superpower of being much less likely to die, especially in a mid-season episode. :)

One of the things I love about Voyager is how many episodes capture the spirit of TOS.

14. Phaser Two

It's amazing how well they did that. To take just a few examples, Kirk would definitely recognize himself in Janeway. And Tuvok was a superb Vulcan, far better than any seen in TNG and DS9 (aside from Spock and Sarek themselves, of course). They even got Klingons right.

Summer Solstice likes this.
  15. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

I wonder what would have happened if Janeway and Kirk had somehow met, somewhere in deep space.

Would Kirk seduce Kathryn?
    Would Kathryn resist Kirk?
    Would Kathryn seduce Kirk?
    Would spocks fly between Spark and Seven? I mean, would barks fly between Beven and Sock? I mean... you know what I mean.
    What would Chakotay have to say about all this?

16. Brennyren

Brennyren Commodore Commodore

Don't mind him; he's over there telling Uhura about how he's always been interested in languages....

Oddish likes this.