The Law Returns. This Time With His Helmet On! Judge Dredd!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

The more I look at those images, the more I just have to think ... oh, dear. I don't have any particularly great affinity for Dredd, but these images are just so ... super eastern european minimalist, and not in a good way. All the screencaps I've seen make it look like it's a student film shot in someone's basement: Like ... Equilibrium on 1 / 100th of the budget. One of the cars looked very Mad Max in its coloring scheme, which might be the low-fi direction they're going for this, but the only redeeming feature about the Stallone film - other than, you know, that scene - was how mind-blowingly lush it looked. It just seems an odd choice to tone down / minimize the Dredd aesthetics.

2. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

i have to agree, it's not really floating my boat.

3. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ Or your Lawbringer?

4. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Lawmaster!!

I know what you mean, Timby. One of the things the Stallone film did get right, imo, was the crazy dialled up to 11 absurdity of MC1, I have a sneaking suspicion the new film's really going to dial that back. I can see why, but I hope it isn't just going to be a generic action film.

I'm reserving a lot of judegment (ho ho) till I see a trailer at the very least though, they might be adding a fair bit of colour post production.

5. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I think people are right to be ambivalent or even apathetic about this film. Relatively little has been publicised and of what few still have been released, most appear to be behind the camera photo rather than still from actual footage. As has been rightly pointed out, what little background we've seen it pretty minimalist, mainly consisting of drab concrete corridors.

However, I can't help but feel this has been intentional. Indeed, it feels like they've gone to some lengths to keep details under wraps. Still, I'm not expecting the huge overblown epic drama that some appear to want. What I am expecting is a tight if modestly budgeted action film with some solid characters in a simple story. I fully expect most of the film to take place in drab concrete corridors because that's what I expect the inside of a Mega City One bloc to look like. I also expect said corridors to get blown apart with spectacular gunfights and explosions.

6. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

7. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

8. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^I hope not. Mind you, 12s (what PG-13 is called over here) can go surprisingly far. Oft-times the only difference between a 12, 15 or 18 is a few seconds of footage. So we'll see what makes it into the final cut. If it does go kid friendly, then I wouldn't be surprised to see an "unrated edition" when the DVDs come out.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  9. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

you mean '12A'...

yeah, Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengenance is a 12A. so, i guess it's a lowball R or a cut version.

10. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

PG-13, doubtless with "Unrated cut" to follow on DVD/BR

11. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

12. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

And he even went with the Eastwood impersonation. Groovy.

13. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah makes sense considering the best casting you'd ever get would be if you travelled back in time and snagged young Clint :)

14. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ I thought you said 'snogged young Clint.' Eeeew. Beard rash.

15. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

...which would make present day Eastwood the perfect choice for Judge Fargo, no? :D

16. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

It's gonna be R rated, so I'm guessing probably a 15 in the UK (though coulf be 18)

The sexual content better not involve Dredd shagging Anderson! :lol:

17. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

If the leaked script is anything to go by, no, there won't be anything of the sort. Indeed, if memory serves there's very little, if anything in the way of sexual content. I think there was nude scene with Anderson, but as written it's not meant to be erotic at all and it's the kind of scene that can easily be shot in such a way that you never see anything. I think most of that rating will be from gore, violence and the portrayal of drug use.

18. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Drug use, they should all be high on sugar or caffieine :lol:

19. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

So probably some shower scene or disrobing from an exhaustive day type sequence.
    I've never actually read the comics unless it was a crossover with another character. Have Dredd and Andersen shagged in the comics before?

20. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

he looks more like dark helmet