The Law Returns. This Time With His Helmet On! Judge Dredd!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

^When Dredd used to appear in British newspapers people sometimes did complain it was just a rip off of Robocop...

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

3. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

That far away? For some reason I thought it was going to be Christmas this year!

4. Admiral_Young

No. It was always planned for a 2012 release.

5. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Ah, wonder where I got that idea from?:confused:

6. The Squire of Gothos

The Squire of Gothos Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There were rumours (briefly) doing the rounds that there would be a gap of several months between the UK and US releases (linky).

7. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

As far as the Hollywood calendar goes that make it a Fall release then.
    So comic book films for 2012 looks like this as of now:
    Winter: Ghost Rider 2, Feb
    Summer: The Avengers, Amazing Spiderman, TDKR, MIB:III(technically)
    Fall: Judge Dredd

Again, six seems to be the number that has yet to be exceeded for any given year yet. Works for me.

8. Admiral_Young

@CaptainCraig you're leaving out "The Wolverine" which technically doesn't have a specific release date yet (maybe that's why it's off your list lol) but Jackman and the producers have stated they want it out before fall of 2012 I believe. Unless something new has developed or I read what I read wrong lol.

9. Captain Craig

^^^^
    I wanted to include it but it seems murky right now. So much has gone on with the project I'm not convinced the alleged Fall start date is going to happen to allow for a 2012 release.
    I'd love for it to happen though, but not be rushed.

10. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Well I'm glad it's not being put down for a summer release. While I'm reasonably sure it has a good chance to be an enjoyable film, I don't think for a second it'd have a snowball's chance on Mercury going up against the likes of Dark Knight Rises, Avengers or even MIB 3.

Well, if the leaked script and a few interviews with Urban hold true, he won't take the helmet off even once.

Honestly, I'll wait till we see some actual footage before I start passing judgement...no pun intended. To be honest I'm a little surprised nothing came out at Comic-Con. I mean from what I gather principle photography is more or less done. You'd think they'd be able to at least throw a teaser together.

11. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

If he takes the helmet off I want a big cartoon bubble obscuring his head that says "censored by Tharg". I also want everyone who sees his face to recoil in terror, just like the old days :lol:

12. Admiral_Young

Dredd keeps his helmet on for the entire movie in this one but your suggestion would be funny.

Here are the first pictures of the cast from Empire Magazine. Lena Hedley isn't the Ma Ma I pictured when I read the script.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=80295

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  13. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I pictured Ma Ma as being an older dried up madame type, while what they've gone for is a bit more punk. Works though.

Nice to see Urban has the Dredd grimace down pat. Judge Anderson looks good. I half expected them to have her strip down to a dirty tank top for half the film and I like how young she looks. The "cadets" from the old Stallone film looked to be in their mid-20s instead of the mid-to-late teens as in the comics. That movie seemed to forget that Judges are trained from the age of eight (at the latest) if not from birth. From Hershey's dialogue you'd think they chose "Judge" as a profession.

14. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

The pics from Empire look a lot better than what's been released to date.

15. Captain Craig

Promising photos. I'm not the most versed Dredd fan so I get to watch the movie AS a movie vs an adaptation. However, even I got how they messed up the Stallone version.
    I dig the toned town shoulder pads. It's just one of those over stylized things that works on paper but realistically is a disconnect.

16. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I've finally figured out what it is specifically about the helmet that bothers me, the 'eyes' seem to be higher up than where the actual judge's eyes would be!

Still these photos look very promising, Anderson looks spot on!

17. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Hm. Like the helmet, kneepads and boots, not so much the shoulders and arms. Urban may have the scowl, but just doesn;t have the *chin* for Dredd...

18. The Badger

The Badger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think the original script called for an obese woman in her fifties. I guess that changed to suit the actress.

To be honest, I can't think of many who go. Except maybe Bruce Forsyth.
    "I am the Law...the Law I am!

19. Admiral_Young

Oh, it's pretty obvious the changed the role for the actress. I'm not really complaining it is just a contrast with what I had read. I've no doubt Lena will be great in the role.

20. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

Jimmy Hill.