The Last of Us (HBO)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Aragorn, Feb 11, 2021.

1. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the implication there is that they are killing suspected infected children before checking if they are immune. Hence why the Fireflies are protecting Elle from them.

Commander Troi likes this.
  2. Skipper

Skipper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, finally after (checking) THIRTY YEARS we have the first actual good videogame adaptation?!? (considering that before The Last Of Us tv show the best rated adaptation was Detective Pikachu)

Starbrow likes this.
  3. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No one has ever been immune. Ellie is the first person, ever. They have no reason to wait "just in case" something that has never happened, and isn't thought possible, happens.

4. thribs

You’d think they would want to check every now and then.

Starbrow likes this.
  5. thribs

Sonic was pretty good

Skipper likes this.
  6. wayoung

Why? In 20 years there has not been a single person with immunity. In the entire world. Out of billions infected. That's why Ellie is special. They're a small community of desperate survivors who have only managed to survive because of draconian and immediate responses to threats of infection. They have no medical researchers or biologists or experts in fungi to do research. All they'd accomplish is prolonging a person's agony and risk infecting more people, destroying the entire community of survivors. This is a zombie show. What you're talking about is being the person who gets bit and hides his bite just in case. We all know how that goes.

Commander Troi likes this.
  7. thribs

It’s called being curious. I don’t see why that’s hard to see.
    I don’t think there are any researchers at that compound though. They are probably at other sites

Starbrow likes this.
  8. wayoung

There is being curious, and there is being the 7.5 billionth person in a row to drink arsenic to see what the results are, after the previous 7, 499,999,999 all died from it.

And they don't have researchers. I said that.

9. Starbrow

Starbrow Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Are you sure there are no researcher? Because what's the point of guarding Ellie than if there is no one to research her immunity to infection?

10. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, there's also the $1.2 billion dollar grossing Resident Evil movie series. Your mileage varies as far as popularity, but I really enjoyed them for the most part.

Skipper likes this.
  11. Starbrow

In the scene between Ellie and Marlene before she uncuffs her, Marlene say: " I am the one who told them not to shoot you ". - they talked about something that happend off screen. Is it something that was shown in the game? Will we see it as a flashback in the future episodes of Season 1?

Also Marlene later says " She put Ellie in to FEDRA military school " - which raises question who was Marlene? Is it something they will show in the future episodes, the backstory of Marlene, was it in the game?

Another line that Marlene say there: " Was Riley a terrorist? " - who is Riley?

And the last confusing line: " What i am about to tell you, cannot be repeated to anyone. Because if you do ... you will die." - What did she told her, was it about her beeing Immune, or something else?

Have to also add i really enjoyed their dialog, such a great play by both actresses. :techman:

12. wayoung

I can't answer that without spoilers so click at your own risk.

There are no researchers in Boston. So experimenting on people there is pointless and unproductive, torturing people for no benefit. There is one remaining secret group of scientists looking into curing/vaccination on the other side of the country and that is where the Fireflies are planning on taking Ellie

Starbrow likes this.
  13. thribs

There is a guy. You’ll learn more later on

Commander Troi and Starbrow like this.
  14. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Watched it last night and enjoyed it a lot.

I had some background knowledge of the games, but haven't played them.

15. Xerxes82

Xerxes82 Captain Captain

Someone essential to Ellie's backstory, and the second main character of the game's DLC. I'm assuming based on what I've heard that the show will be including the DLC stuff as flashbacks, so you should get your answers here later.

Starbrow likes this.
  16. Skipper

Skipper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's really a small thing, but you know what I really liked? The infodump format at the beginning: the presenter politely asks two experts for an opinion on a question and the two experts, always politely, exchange views. Nobody yells. Neither accuses the other of being in the pay of Big Pharma. None of the audience who are barely literate stand up yelling that just because they have years of education behind them can they really be "experts" on the subject and how dare they say they know better and that on a True Patriots forum there is the truth.

I understand why they decided to present the information to the public like this. The same would have been unthinkable in a more modern context.

Nombrecomun and Commander Troi like this.
  17. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

That’d be a risk though, every time you sat and waited for symptoms to show which would happen 99.9999% of the time, you’d risk containment breach.

18. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I only played the game as far as when they left Massachusetts. I loved the story but was not enjoying the gameplay, I don’t think stealth was executed well. So was happy to learn they were making this series.

I haven’t seen it but wasn’t the Witcher series well received?

19. thribs

Do it outside in a contained area. If they turn just gas them

20. Starbrow

That scene when the scientist says: "Billions of puppets with poisond minds permamently fixed on one unifying goal: to spread the infection to every human alive by any means necessary" - meanwhile the camera changes to the audience which is sitting frozen, not moving, as if they are already puppets.
    That was some brilliant work, and the scientist actors just a deligt to listen to.

XCV330, Commander Troi and Skipper like this.