The Inhumans Marvel/IMAX

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Feb 21, 2017.

1. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

It's a good thing there's only one episode left, because I don't think I could take much more of this. It's hard for me to say what's wrong with it, but even the smallest joy (defined as the brief flash of delight I get seeing the giant mural of the Inhuman city plan from SHIELD season 2 in the throne room) has drained away. I think it was bringing back a character who apparently died twenty seconds into the first episode like I would care, though it may have been the related revelation that Black Bolt knew Maximus was going to attempt a coup all along and, I don't know, let him? For some reason?

CorporalCaptain likes this.
  2. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, neither of these were good.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Not that he would, just that he, or somebody, might attempt a coup someday. It's hardly unusual for a leader to make contingency plans for potential crises, or for a monarch to guard against the risk of a coup.

4. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Least Attilan bunker ever.

Honestly, I still like it better than say, The Gifted, which is the same thing every episode or even Arrow which I've been finding just a bit of a grind. Not saying it's objectively better but easier to watch.

Not sure about bringing Gorgon back but I liked the interaction between Auran and Karnak. Nice to see Medusa questioning her role in Attilan after her time on Earth. Shame that Declan gets to the moon instead of Louise.

5. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I'm glad to see Gorgon back because I didn't want him dead. I thought this episode had a lot more energy to it. It was less distracted by sideplots. I also do, however, feel like the show is planned an episode at a time so things are still very sloppy.

6. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

The show is a lot stronger with all of its main characters acting together rather than spread out across the island. It's still a bit of a hot mess however.

I'm glad that both Triton and Gorgon remain among the living, but both of their returns simply registered a "meh" with me.

Something I did wonder about, could it be that whatever it is in Auren's DNA that helped revive Gorgon is related to the GH-325 that revived Coulson and Daisy? Ultimately, in both cases, the ability can be traced back to Kree DNA.

7. Christopher

I'm not sure these producers are that concerned with AoS continuity. I mean, how is it that Dr. Declan knows so little about Terrigenesis? I don't recall AoS giving the impression that the mechanism for creating Inhumans was kept secret by SHIELD. At least it should be general knowledge that there's a substance that can turn people into Inhumans if they ingest it in fish oil, since presumably the supplement pills would've been recalled.

8. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'll agree that the interaction between Auran and Karnak was probably the high point of the episode.

Funny that Triton came back right after I decided that they were done with him. I can see why they wrote him out early though. What a super ninja. That dude could take down a whole army all by himself, after disrupting the power and water supplies earlier that morning. He's unbeatable.

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

They live in an invisible castle on the moon. Amazing.

They've shown two episodes thus far in England and I'm enjoying it.

10. Christopher

Well, I guess now we know why the set designs on Attilan were so bland -- because they only intended to get 8 episodes out of them.

And did they just leave Eldrac to die? That sucks. Couldn't they have sent Lockjaw back to rescue what was left of the wall he inhabited?

Oh, and if Maximus had to go to the control room "every hour on the hour" in order to keep the dome from collapsing... when did he sleep?!

It's a safe bet that the "greatest enemy" Black Bolt was protecting against as king was the Kree. That shot of the glowing throne was probably some kind of beacon transmitted to the Kree. Maybe that will lead into the Agents of SHIELD arc this season. I doubt we'll be getting a followup anywhere else, since a renewal seems unlikely.

They did leave a number of dangling threads, though. Who was this mysterious "boss" that Tom Wright called about the incoming Inhumans? Why didn't they tell us who it was? I thought maybe the boss might show up at the end in a surprise cameo, but we got nothing. We don't even know where the "perfect place" for their relocation was.

As for Gorgon, I was relieved at first that they weren't using the "black guy dies first" trope after all, but having the sole black cast member come back as a mentally impaired, barely verbal berserker with little ability to control his violent rage is possibly even worse.

I figured they had to show us Black Bolt speaking in the season finale -- they couldn't spend all that time setting it up and not pay it off. But man, did they underplay it. Based on what previous episodes established in dialogue, his "Goodbye, brother" should've blown away half the city, but it just seemed to knock down one building. Sure, we saw the city collapse after that, but it was already collapsing due to what Maximus did.

It was nice that the final scene put the Royals in something closer to their standard costumes, but where did they get the duds? They didn't seem to have much time to pack when they left. Is there an Inhuman with the power to create clothes out of thin air?

11. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Agents of Shield teaser suggests that they are genre savvy over there at least.

Turtletrekker and David cgc like this.
  12. Starscream2112

Starscream2112 Captain Captain

I am sorry but I enjoyed the damn thing! I don't understand all the hate.

Beagleman and Caretaker like this.
  13. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

Agreed. Far from perfect, but it was fun (although I was hating Medusa's attitude by the end). I'd love to (like with Iron Fist) see another season - under new management - and deal with the plot holes, continue the story and have some crossover with the rest of the MCU.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  14. The Mighty Monkey of Mim

The Mighty Monkey of Mim Commodore Commodore

LIVE ON STAGE AT THE ALHAMBRA, ONE NIGHT ONLY!
    He said to Black Bolt at the end that the city's destruction meant his own, as if it were not possible for him to be saved. I guess he was an integral and inextricable part of Attilan?

(That's the third time I've had occasion to use the word "inextricable" in the past couple days, on three different subjects. Whew.)

15. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, that was slightly underwhelming, but about what i expected.

I did quite enjoy the "she doesn't have many friends" line.

They sure seemed to make it from bunker to control room with ease multiple times, and then literally 5 seconds later would complain and worry about how difficult the trip would be when they circled back.

A few too many unanswered questions at the end. The blue Kree wrtiting seemed obvious enough, but the new Inhuman home base and that mysterious boss guy deserved a bit more clarification. The change of clothing at the end was bizarre too.

A major weakness though was that they totally did not address the class divide that was set up throughout the series. There was no payoff at all to that. Disappointing.

16. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

TONY STARK!!!!

Is that really so hard to say?

17. Christopher

Medusa and Black Bolt did say in their speech that they would move forward with the elimination of the caste system as Medusa's parents had wanted, but in a better, less self-serving way than Maximus would have.

The irony is that the Royals ended up doing everything that Maximus said he wanted to do -- ending the caste divide, relocating to Earth. In a sense, he was right all along. But of course, he was the designated bad guy, so it had to turn out that he didn't really care about all that and was just interested in his own power and self-aggrandizement. And there was, like, one line of lip service to the idea that he planned to come to Earth as a conqueror -- something that was implicit before, but never really explored, like so much about this show. They spent so much time on the Royals' interactions with Earthlings we'd never see again after 2-3 episodes that a lot of the more important storytelling got short shrift.

I mean, holy cow. Gorgon's surfer friends either died or disappeared. Karnak's ladyfriend loved him and left him, and all the others in that subplot died. Black Bolt's big Hawai'ian friend was there for a few episodes and then just left. Crystal had a couple weeks of soap opera with the blond dude and his mean vet ex, then they were just gone. Declan was significant-ish for a while, but here he was just killed off by Gorgon with little fanfare and no followup. The only Earthly guest characters who made it to the home stretch were Louise and her boss whom we haven't seen since episode 2.

By the way, the bit with Louise giving her father's ashes to Medusa to inter on the Moon was the one really touching moment in the whole series. And, amazingly, the show actually followed through on that and gave it a payoff. Although I'm not sure interring his ashes in the middle of a city in the process of collapsing on top of them was exactly what Louise had in mind.

18. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Once they relocated to Earth (presumably with access to greater resources and space) there was no need for the caste system.

19. Christopher

Tell that to all the Earth people who've lived under caste systems. People who want to lord it over others will always find excuses for doing it. The caste system will only end if Black Bolt and Medusa are sincere about wanting to get rid of it.

20. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Except he spoke of need, not desire. There might have been a need with the limited space/resources on the moon, but there is no need on Earth. Doesn’t mean it will automatically disappear (though the story strongly suggested it would).