''The Holiest Thing'' (Star Trek Phase 2)

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Bixby, Oct 25, 2013.

1. jamesmc

jamesmc Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The trailer is just that a quick peek. It does not have final color, audio, fx or anything.

2. Duane

Duane Captain Captain

I love the gas masks seen around the :33 mark. Totally reminds me of TOs without copying anything.

The green screen work around :45 and later is worse than the usual standards coming from the group. Maybe it's improved later or maybe the green screen wasn't lit correctly when they filmed. I learned the hard way the importance of having a skilled green screen artist on set with you as you film.

3. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

what the!?

I'm completely confused. You spent a decade producing high-quality Star Trek episodes with Walter Koenig, George Takei, Barbara Luna written by DC Fontana and David Gerrold and now because you have better facilities they don't count anymore? I know the quality of the pilot is poor compared to other stuff but 'Come What May' was groundbreaking at the time.

What is this show called now and where is it going? It was renamed Phase II, Xon, uniforms, the ship and other elements were brought in to effectively breathe life into the legendary lost series and complete the five year mission; even though you're not allowed to 'adapt' CBS/Paramount owned stories anymore I thought that was the direction; sailing slowly toward the first movie; developing Klingons/Starfleet etc towards that era.

Is the Enterprise refit still valid or has that been cancelled? I love Phase II and was looking forward to collecting unp a series of episodes leading to Enterprise entering spacedock for a refit and the crew receiving their new uniforms. Granted there are TOS purists but the movie/TNG/Phase II elements gave your show it's own identity.

As for casting James I enjoyed you as Kirk. Sure you were not exactly Shatner but you grew nicely into the character. All of your characters have been played by at least two actors (counting CWM) now so we're used to it; no doubt people will come and go.

As for 100% consistency no NV/P2 hasn't got it BUT we have watched it grow and flourish. There are lots of exciting ideas contained in your episodes and the standard has always been high.

I love Phase II and hope you take it in the direction always intended while also being proud of the wonderful work so far.

4. PattyW

PattyW Commander Red Shirt

In the "old continuity" Xon and Peter joined the crew prior to BAF (along with Fontana and a few other "new Academy graduates" that would have gone on to star in "First Voyages"), with Xon being a secondary science officer but wearing gold - because that is what Xon wore in the Paramount Phase II costume screen tests. (It never made sense to me, and it seems like James Cawley feels the same and "corrected" the mistake in the screen tests)

IIRC no one was ever recorded saying "Next Time on Phase II". (though Mr. Miller may have a way to create Majel saying it, as he recorded her saying a whole list of random words over several sessions so they could be edited together to say whatever he needed her to say)

Withrow (in Cawley/Kirk Phase II, as well as in BAS and HT) was always at least an Admiral - as well as a clothes hound. He just likes a lot of different uniforms. ;) I have no idea about Gross/Phase II after HT.

5. jojolimited

jojolimited Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Sometimes, the best, most efficient thing you can do is start over. Doesn't devalue the previous episodes at all. I'm looking forward to Phase II moving to the future, so we don't get 2 competing Kirks in the same time period (STC). Just my .02.

6. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

I personally love that we get two different fan takes on the Enterprise.

7. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

Continuity on NV/P2 flew out the door when they put Peter Kirk on board. Peter would be 14-16 years old in the original TOS timeframe for the 4th and 5th seasons. If they want to just play around fast and loose within their own series, then it doesn't really matter.

8. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

"To Serve All My Days" (still my favorite NV/P2 effort) was already in its own continuity, yes?

9. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

As far as I'm concerned, yes, since
    Chekov dies.

10. Bixby

Bixby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  11. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

No real news on "The Holiest Thing," except to say we've been working on it.

We don't want the lag time between "The Holiest Thing" and whatever NV/P2 episode follows it to be too long of a gap. So we're not trying to rush "The Holiest Thing" out as quickly as we can. We're trying to avoid "feast or famine" and we're trying to ration our output for the lean months.

12. jamesmc

jamesmc Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This episode is getting extensive work. It has already received a new transfer form the original RED footage, New fx, New color grading and pick up shots. We were under the gun when we had originally shot it, and then had a bad transfer and other issues just before it's original release date. It is getting all the attention it needs and deserves right now! No date will be announced until it is 100% finished and in my hands. We are scheduling some additional pick ups for it as we speak.

13. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

That's great to hear. Thanks for the updates, Greg and James!

14. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes thanks for the updates. I would appreciate periodic updates even if minor.

15. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

Way to go!:techman:

16. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

James also posted the following message about six hours ago on Facebook, along with some photos:

17. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

There's a Star Trek convention coming up in mid-April that we thought would be the perfect venue at which to screen the new, tweaked version of "The Holist Thing." Our director indicated he thought that the episode wouldn't be ready by then.

So it looks like the release of the episode is not exactly imminent. James' stated policy is to not announce a release date until we have the completed episode in hand and it has been posted and it is properly accessible by everyone. We are aware that a completed episode is only half the battle; everything has to be all squared away from an IT standpoint, too.

18. subxinu

subxinu Lieutenant Red Shirt

I hope you get your convention screening, Greg. These films are made for the fans and being able to see it surrounded by other Trekkies would be the best experience. Screenings like this are also great for the smaller conventions in that it can add something extra special the attendees will attribute to the con and will remember for years.

19. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

So identical to Abrams changing Chekov's age right?

George Kirk had three sons (we saw one), perhaps like George Foreman (the boxer) he gave all his sons the same first name, and the "Peter" with the husband is a older brother to the Peter we saw in TOS? Would explain the age difference.

:)

20. Bixby

Bixby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Still no firm release date for this webisode, but this new-ish FX shot was uploaded to YouTube recently:

https://youtu.be/kaBIt8SKp7s

As it looks like a TNG-era shuttlecraft, and several postings on Phase 2's Facebook page indicated a cameo by James Doohan lookalike Carl Sheldon, The Holiest Thing may have some scenes from the 24th century...

Also, there was a casting call for their 2015 summer shoot where Phase 2 needed an actress to reprise the role of Natira from the 3rd season episode ''For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky". While this episode is easily among my personal least-liked TOS installments, if Cawley and co. can get Natira off of Yonada and make this a McCoy-centric episode, this may be a must-see (hmmm, could THIS have anything to do with their previously-rumoured first introduction to the live-action Joanna McCoy?)

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Natira