The grocery store disgusts me sometimes...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by voyagergrl3193, Jan 23, 2012.

1. voyagergrl3193

voyagergrl3193 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Anyone on here watch the show "Intervention" on A&E? That show is the perfect example of how addiction can effect certain people. Just this week there was a lady on there who had been an alchoholic for twenty some odd years. To me, addiction is real..it's a disease like cancer that can effect someone greatly and their families. What is interesting is that the family suffers along with the person who is addicted. If the person who is addicted is upset, then they can turn to alchohol, drugs or food, whereas the family members just suffer privately without any substance at all.

2. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

I hate that site...it is so incredibly mean, just like the OP's post in this thread.

I mean, I shop at Wal-Mart and I'd hate to think some malicious person might decide to snap my picture and post it there if they think I don't look my best or they just think I'm a reject for shopping there. Very sad and very mean.

3. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Neither have I and I live in crazy/chav central. I already dislike the widespread fashion of wearing sweatpants or track suits out in the street.
    But my friend who lived and studied in the USA for a year assured me that it's not uncommon, though mostly people just wear the pyjama trousers with an ordinary sweatshirt. Apparently, this is often accompanied by wearing flip-flops. She said that people even come to university courses dressed like that. We pondered the idea of testing the grocery shopping in pyjama thing here and noting the reactions. I was of the opinion the reactions would be disappointing. After all, no one cares about unaesthetic cross-dressing men where I shop. I also fear it could become a trend.

4. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

Sometimes, the lack of awareness and education on mental illness just astounds me. It's really sad that the stereotypes, prejudices and biases still persist.

5. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

You can buy a food entree with chicken that costs $3-5 or buy a chicken that costs the same and it will feed you for a few days. Same with veggies and so on. Plus they are much healthier.

RAMA

6. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I still find it odd, but its very trendy to do so. The cuter the girl, the less I mind...

7. MHT1138

MHT1138 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A box of mac and cheese is less expensive than the ingredients to make mac and cheese. Plus the chicken might last 2 days, but when you add in everything else you would need to buy to make the entree it ends up being more expensive. Some convenience food is more expensive than fresh, but much of it is cheaper. That being said, an even somewhat smart shopper should be able to eat fresh foods at least part of the time.

8. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

At night, usually an hour or two before my local store closes, I'll occasionally see a "party girl"--an over-done glam girl either going to or coming from a party--in high heels, a jacket, and little else.

9. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Mac and cheese in boxes is also incredibly unhealthy. Buy some real cheese and some decent wheat pasta (usually on sale pretty cheap) and it will last longer and stretch your dollars further.

10. voyagergrl3193

Hey, if you think my post is mean, there are others out there who think even more harshly about them. Compared to them I'm basically sugar-coating it..but yes, I do realize that it was a bit..harsh and hurtful what was said, even though it was a vent. It was a harsh vent. But I've seen more heavy-set people in grocery stores and Wal-Mart nowadays than ever and I blame that on too many fast food resturants(guilty of going there from time to time myself!). So there are others out there I'm sure who are even more critical than I am about obese people. In one way, I feel bad for them..in another way I want to tell them to set a better example for society.

11. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

And maybe you could try setting a better example for the mean critics out there.

12. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

Who are you to determine what is best for society?

13. voyagergrl3193

Hey it's just an opinion of mine. I'm just talking about both sides of the fence here. And who are you to determine what is wrong for society? Society has an opinion about obese people I'm sure. And I'm sure they'd be even more harsh than I am.

14. voyagergrl3193

Maybe so. It's not just me that's saying this though.

15. Tora Ziyal

Of course other people say it, too! If I thought they didn't, why on earth would I suggest that you set a better example for them?

16. voyagergrl3193

I'm not sure..why would you? Anyway, not gonna go this back and forth debate thing about it.It's my opinion and I stand by it 100% and won't apologise for it. But, from now on, I'll just shut my mouth and not voice my opinion at all anymore about anything else cause all it does is create a thunderstorm and that's the LAST thing I need right now on top of everything else.

Anyhow, back to the subject at hand..grocery stores being disgusting sometimes.

Sometimes I get frustrated when I do the C-Scan at Krogers because sometimes those damn things take longer than expected to do the work and you have to get an employee to help you.

17. Gothowitz

Gothowitz Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It's always interesting to watch grocery customers munch their way through the store completely oblivious to their obvious entitlement.
    Bulk goods is one of their favorite isles along with fresh foods.
    Then there are those who physically open goods to be consumed and hidden or abandoned innocuously.

18. voyagergrl3193

Oh I know! The grape eating is what gets me baffled. Like that episode of "Designing Women" where Suzanne and her sister went to the grocery store. Suzanne was eating the grapes and her sister asked: what the hell are you doing?? Suzanne says: I'm testing the grapes. Then on Golden Girls when Dorothy was talking to either Rose or Blanche about eating grapes in the grocery store. It goes something like this: "I only eat a few to test them" Dorothy says: "2 is testing, 10 is brunch!" LOL!

19. Tora Ziyal

Um, the question was rhetorical. Do you not understand irony?

And then there are those of us who start nibbling on a package of cookies while we're shopping and pay for it. I guess it would look bad to someone who doesn't actually see us in the check-out line with it. :alienblush:

20. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Consuming 2 is still technically theft. You have consumed something you haven't paid for.

Yes it might only be 1p(1c) or what ever currency you use but add that up over hundreds/thousands of shoppers x hundreds/thousands of stores and it becomes an issue.