• Welcome! The TrekBBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans.
    If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

The Genesis Trilogy

Gratty

Lieutenant Commander
Red Shirt
Hope I'm doing this right.

Plus I want to share this story.

In October 1995 I was living in Buffalo, NY w my then girlfriend, now wife, Chris.

A local radio station made it known that they were sponsoring a showing of TWOK, TSFS and TVH at Shea's in downtown Buffalo.

At the time, as much as I hate to admit it, I hadn't seen TSFS on the big screen. I told Chris that I'd watch the first two for sure.

I showed up and admission was free. There were representatives of local fan clubs, many in costume.

The concession stand was serving beer. I won a trivia contest. I was very comfortable.

After TSFS I called Chris (on a pay phone) and told her that wild horses couldn't drag me out of there before it was done.

At one point I was talking with a fellow fan in full TWOK-era maroon jacketed costume and I referred to TWOK-TSFS-TVH as "The Genesis Trilogy". He expressed some doubt.

I said the story wasn't over until Spock told Sarek to tell Amanda ""Yes. Tell her... I feel fine."

He agreed.

I'd also posit that Spock's arc in TMP was a prologue.

Spock takes Kirk's hand and says "Jim... This... simple feeling is beyond V'ger's comprehension."

"The Human adventure is just beginning..."

cheers
 
Last edited:
^

Agreed. Even though that wasn't the intention when STII was made, at the end of the day (or the end of 1986, anyway), that's what we ended up with.

An apropos name, indeed.

:techman:
 
^

Agreed. Even though that wasn't the intention when STII was made, at the end of the day (or the end of 1986, anyway), that's what we ended up with.

An apropos name, indeed.

:techman:
Though I always found it odd that Genesis — a potentially galaxy-destabilizing invention that sure seemed about to become the equivalent of what atomic bombs became for us, even if the planet-building function didn’t work — just vanished away after TSFS.
 
TBF, TFF and TUC had stories where Genesis would have been out of scope.

Unless you're suggesting that one of the later series should have brought it up.
 
Genesis was brought up in Star Trek: Picard in their space warehouse version of the place the "Top Men" squirreled away the Lost Ark.

It's one of many huge ideas that were never revisited.

I need to watch Picard again.

"Kirk: I'm not a drama critic."
 
I meant To Be Fair. TVH did have some mention of Genesis in the scene with Sarek and the Klingon ambassador.

I kind of wondered whether that would cause any confusion when I posted it. I'm a little mischeivous sometimes. :p
 
I meant To Be Fair. TVH did have some mention of Genesis in the scene with Sarek and the Klingon ambassador.
Gotcha. Apologies for the incorrect assumption.

You are, of course, correct. The Klingon Ambassador accused Kirk of being a war criminal by conflating his relationship with Carol and David Marcus. And Kirk's relationship with Spock and even Sarek, to boot.

And then Kirk got exonerated and demoted to go back to what he does best.

"Captain Spock, you do not stand accused."
"Mr. President, I stand with my shipmates."
- Federation president and Spock
 
TBF, TFF and TUC had stories where Genesis would have been out of scope.

Unless you're suggesting that one of the later series should have brought it up.
It should have been the focus of IV, instead of the random intruding plot we got. And it would absolutely have fit/complemented/heightened the existing plot of TUC!
 
While I think it might have been interesting if the sequel to TSFS had been more in line with the films to that point, I rather enjoyed TVH as well, so I can't really say the sequel "should have" been something else..
 
I never thought the "trilogy" idea was a specific intent of the writers/directors/studio, but we were lucky to have Nick Meyer and Leonard Nimoy at the helm, keeping things on track with loads of respect for the characters and good storytelling.

Meanwhile I still felt that the films worked well from "episode-to-episode," so to speak - as TSFS and TVH picked up directly from their predecessors.

I also believe that TSFS was the closest in spirit to an original series episode, behind TMP.

One more thing (said Columbo)... I've always loved the idea that the probe in TVH is never completely explained, novels and such notwithstanding.

"Gracie knows."
 
Yeah. It wasn't planned; it was just lucky circumstances.

I'd say TFF may have been the closest the movies got to an actual episode of the series...but I don't really mean that as a compliment. I like the movies to do things the series can't (or wouldn't) do.

In the film the probe doesn't really need to be explained. It's a McGuffin. But I'm glad the expanded universe gave it more of a background.
 
If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

Sign up / Register


Back
Top