Spoilers The Flash - Season 6

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Christopher, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The sound stages and all other resources are booked by the off season shows that also have to be made.

All the new shows have to play together in a cluster to keep the ad revenue even between the Networks, and avoid a slaughter.

Something about selling new shows to the affiliates at a convention.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Interestingly, it's a relic of the days before air conditioning:

https://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/tv-shows-premiere-fall.htm
    It persisted partly by tradition, partly because it benefited advertisers to follow a predictable cycle (one site I found said it was so car dealers could promote the next year's models), and probably partly because viewers spend less time watching TV in the summer, due to spending more time outdoors, going on vacation, and so on.

ialfan and Tuskin38 like this.
  3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

LA is not New York.

On one hand the weather is consistent year round, on the other hand it's the sort of weather that makes the rich abandon New York.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  4. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

DVD/blu-ray releasing Aug. 25

5. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Would be nice if the bonus disc was eventually released as a single set. That's all I'm interested in buying. Until then, I have them on my PVR.

TheAlmanac likes this.
  6. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

At this point I think maybe they should just write it into the show. A man of his age having those issues are perfectly normal so why not show the reality.

Jason

7. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Especially when he jumped out of a riding car

8. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

9. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

10. Christopher

Oh, good grief, they're dropping like flies. First Ruby Rose, now this.

I hope they do recast, since they were just getting started with the Ralph/Sue romance and it'd be a shame to see that scuttled. And Ralph is a shapeshifter, so it'd be easy to explain a change in appearance. Just say he got targeted (as Ralph) by a bad guy and changed his face to protect himself, or something.

Snaploud and Tuskin38 like this.
  11. Kirk Prime

Kirk Prime Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm not sure what to think about this--as most of these comments and tweets were made before he even joined the show. They had time to vet him and hired him. They also know him and have years working with him. You would think they would say, "he isn't that guy." Instead of firing him, it might have been more of a gesture to work with him, have him apologize, and try to make amends. They took the easy way out, and while I don't condone the tweets at all, I don't know if it's right to completely turn your back on someone that they considered a friend and valued coworker.

Then again, he may have been a jerk for all I know. Or he may be nothing like the comments in those tweets.

It would be different to me if he made the tweet recently, in light of what's going on, but you can't tell context and given the time, there's no accounting for growth as a person.

He knows who he is and if this is justified.

12. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I mean, I'd hope by the time your 25 you would know what is good or isn't to tweet.

13. Kirk Prime

Didn't Kathy Griffin tweet a picture of the president's severed head? It's really hard to judge too. Today you really have to be very careful. Even shock humor can come back to haunt you. But when these tweets were made, the climate wasn't what it is right now. I'm not defending the content of the tweets, but ultimately, these people that work with him should know who he is. They hired him after the tweets. I don't think it's so easy.

And it is very hard to be held up to the same standard. So much hypocrisy exists with stuff like this--selective outrage and enforcement. Ultimately, it's their show and they can do what they want, but this man's reputation is likely destroyed and he may never get work again--for tweets made years earlier.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was really shocked to see this. This whole situation reminds of what happened with James Gunn and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, and I would think people would have learned their lesson there. He made the tweets 8 years ago, and as long as he hasn't made those kinds of tweets lately, or been an asshole on set, then firing him seems like a massive overreaction. I don't think it's fair to hold someone's behavior from almost two decades ago against them today. But, if he's still tweeting that kind of stuff today, or has been racist or sexist toward cast or crew members, then he definitely deserves to be fired.

USS Firefly likes this.
  15. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The tweets are terrible. But I do wonder why CW did not act on these tweets sooner. Did they not vet the actor properly? It just seems weird to hire an actor, make him a regular cast member for a couple years and then suddenly fire him for tweets that happened way before he was hired.

16. Christopher

Cue nutty conspiracy theory that this has been staged to distract from the Batwoman kerfuffle. ;)

Shamrock Holmes and Caretaker like this.
  17. Kirk Prime

Thank you for pointing out a perfect example of the hypocrisy and the inability to learn. Selective enforcement. I believe you have to be consistent. I don't even remember the tweets from Gunn, but I remember thinking that consistency mattered.

They are if taken literally. But context is so hard to read online. He could have been making a shock tweet for laughs, not a serious statement. Are we no longer allowed that kind of humor? Are we going to regulate the speech and the freedoms that come with it? If so, what's next to go?

It can get carried away. If this man has behaved appropriately through his tenure, then he clearly is NOT the man in real life as he wrote in those tweets, and this is a massive overreaction.

What's worse is that his cast members are not standing up for him. Anyone can be your friend when things are good, but it means something when people have your back in times like this.

18. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I read this story on reddit and here and you are the very first person to bring that up. You're not a Conspiracy nut are you? ;)

19. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Seems rather mean over some bad jokes. They’re still rather tame compared to the great Frankie Boyle.
    Can’t he just do an apology tour?

20. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, Ralph was the only reason I was hangning on since the series had been so damned awful of late. It's a shame they didn't allow him to grow and change, which seems to be what we're all supposed to be doing, right? It's not like Thomas Gibson physically abusing people on the Criminal Minds set until they finally dropped him. These were old tweets and there has been a lot of change in the last handul of years. Jeez, no probation? Ah well. Now he's free to do a Bewitched remake or something. He'd be the perfect Dick York stand in.