Spoilers The Flash - Season 5

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by dahj, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

The cloaked Cicada in Grace's "head kitchen" seemed to be female, so it seems to be what Grace wants to be and maybe a hint of what Grace will do once she is brought back to consciousness and grows up, maybe after her uncle is stopped. It is creepy and distasteful that a young child is so murderous, though.
    Joe West is still missed.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yes, that's why I'm thinking she becomes Cicada in the future.

3. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Was that the great Robert Picardo narrating the exhibits?

Dick Whitman likes this.
  4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

That was my first thought too.

Robert Picard frequently appeared in the films of Joe Dante. Also so did the great character actor Dick Miller. Who had a reoccurring role in the 1990 version of The Flash as Barry’s informant Fosnight. Sadly it was just reported that he passed away at age 90. RIP. I LOVED Dick Miller! He added to any film or tv series he appeared in even the smallest role. I had hoped he might appear on the new series like other members of the 1990 series have. :(

5. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

I just watched those scenes. You are correct.

I also concur

6. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Flash was interesting in a kind of love/hate episode this week. Last week I was starting to tire on Cicada, but this week they threw a new wrinkle into it with the possibility of Grace pulling all the strings and I do find that really intriguing. What I didn't like was Nora's secret is still a secret in terms of her working with Thawne, yet this episode was a trip through her memories. for Barry to Iris to unconditionally believe Nora now is a little eye-roll-worthy. This episode seemed to be built as advancing the Nora/Eobard story and I don't think it did that. That was a bummer. Still, the possibilities with Grace are interesting to the point where the episode wasn't all bad.

7. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Alarmsbells should have been going off everyfuckingwhere for Barry and Iris that their daughter's mental projection of defense is the Reverse Flash!!! The both of them just ignoring that was basicly why this episode failed to land for me.

8. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

Is there another Red Death in the history of Flash comics or did they just namedrop the evil speedster Bruce Wayne? :D

9. DeadmeatDiggory

DeadmeatDiggory Commander Red Shirt

Funny, I thought that (coupled with her weird brain patterns) implied that Grace (or her anger) was what's driving Cicada, and that ultimately SHE was the threat and not her uncle.

10. Christopher

But that has meaning for you because you know her secret already. To them, the mere fact that one of the museum exhibits is her mental defense mechanism wouldn't trigger suspicion, because they have no reason to be suspicious of her. A defense mechanism is something powerful and dangerous, and who's more dangerous than the Flash's worst enemy?

11. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Regarding Nora's secret, I wonder what game Sherloque is playing. Why is it playing it all cool and not coming straight out and confronting Nora or exposing her secret?

12. Christopher

Because he doesn't know for certain what it is yet. He just has a few pieces to make him suspicious, but he's a far cry from having enough to put the full picture together or prove anything. Detective work takes time and it's important to be patient and make sure you have a solid case before making an accusation -- as anyone following the news about Robert Mueller's investigation of the Trump campaign should be aware.

Romulan_spy likes this.
  13. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

He’s on the case and knows something is up, but likely wants to know for sure before saying anything.

Enterprise1701 and Romulan_spy like this.
  14. Mage

I see your point there. But with her lifelong fascination with the Flash (also powerful and dangerous really) one could argue he'd be here defense mechanism.

15. Christopher

Even so, the use of the Reverse Flash instead isn't enough by itself to make Barry and Iris go "OMG our daughter is in league with Thawne in the future!" It's the sort of oddity that would only stand out once you're already suspicious, like Sherloque is.

16. Mage

That's a misinterpretation of what I was saying. Never stated they should immediatly think she's in league with Thawne. I said it should raise some alarmbells. ;) ;) They notice something odd about their daughter's reaction to things, so they ask questions. It's what good parents do.

17. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

At the end of Rent Live a couple days ago, the original cast did 525600 minutes, including Jesse L Martin and Anthony Rapp.

18. Christopher

I just think that since we already know the secret, we aren't in a position to judge whether that clue actually would raise alarm bells in people who don't know the secret. We'd need to ask someone who hadn't seen the previous episodes or the opening recap here.

After all, we've all been fooled by things that seemed obvious in retrospect. There are plenty of clues that are right in plain sight but that it doesn't occur to us to notice until we're given a reason to. That's what makes movies like The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable work -- all the giveaway clues were right in front of us the whole time, but we just didn't think to look at them in the right way.

19. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I think wanting Barry and Iris to be suspicious is a symptom of a mystery that is spinning its wheels rather than moving forward. The writers chose that we would know more than the characters, unlike the Sixth Sense. We are ahead of the story, and it feels like there’s not much story there. Thus delay delay delay.

20. Christopher

The main plot with Barry and Ralph was kind of contrived. The black market guys putting "just in case" meta-dampening cuffs on newcomers was a bit too convenient (for the plot, though inconvenient for the heroes). And shouldn't Barry's face be more recognizable after he was all over the news last year during his murder trial, prison term, and exoneration? Still, it was kind of fun watching Barry channel a darker persona. I imagine he was drawing on what he learned from his recent stint being the Green Arrow in Elseworlds.

It's contrived enough having a detective Wells named Sherloque, but mentioning last week that his partner was named Watson and revealing this week that his wives are all Renee Adler is pushing the joke too far past the point of credibility. And there wasn't that much point having four alternate Renees at once when they were barely distinguishable aside from their hair and wardrobe. Cavanaugh's personas/accents for the alternate Wellses are way too broad, but this was too far in the other direction.

And I wonder, is Earth-1 Renee really a meta, or did Nora invisibly use her speed to make the door fly open to make Sherloque think Renee is a potential Cicada target?