The Flash has turned into a kids show...

The 1960s Batman is a prime example of a superhero show being overly campy and cheesy but not a kid's show. Super Friends was a kid's show. Being overly campy and cheesy is something else, something that we can call, say, "being overly campy and cheesy." Is The Flash that? Not by Batman-standards. I've really enjoyed the Elongated Man, by the way.

TNG was widely regarded in LA as kind of a kid's show, at least according to some of the folks who worked for the producers. The distinction between "family entertainment" and children's entertainment is fuzzy.

I've found Flash's more comedic turns this season delightful and welcome. I'm not going to go so far as to say superhero shows should never be dramatic or thoughtful (Supergirl's "Faithful" is my favorite hour of Arrowverse TV so far this season), but there's nothing wrong with a little froth and fun, either.

Don't insult a show by calling it a kid show. There are great kid shows and there are terrible adult shows. The Flash's problem is that the quality went down after a fantastic first season.

No, it's not a kid-show. The kid show would have Kid Flash as the star, not Flash. ;)

Don't insult a show by calling it a kid show. There are great kid shows and there are terrible adult shows.

Exactly. Like I always say, surely our children deserve the best we're capable of giving them. Whenever I hear someone equate "kid stuff" with "inferior stuff," I pray they don't have children of their own, or work in a profession that caters to children. Presumably most of the people who make kids' shows are doing it because they care about kids and want to give them worthwhile things.

The Flash was always meant to be one of the lighter, kid-friendly, superheroes in the DC mythos. One could argue that the more dour seasons 1-3 were a result of Thawne messing with Barry's earlier life, and the true Barry is finally emerging.

Crisis X was absolute bollocks. I've stopped watch after that.

Okay, we're not on the same page here at all. I thought the whole "Crisis" crossover was oodles of fun. Honestly, one of the things I've always admired about THE FLASH is the way it embraces its Silver Age roots. Telepathic super-gorillas for the win!

I'm still hoping that we get Streaky the Super-Cat on SUPERGIRL eventually. Or maybe Comet the Super-Horse?

I'm still hoping that we get Streaky the Super-Cat on SUPERGIRL eventually. Or maybe Comet the Super-Horse?
I haven't watched any of the DC TV shows (and intended to) but Jr. recently advised me he's recently quit watching all of the DC shows and not to bother.

I was going to get his take on the strengths and weaknesses of DCTV and report them here, but frankly I'm just too worried about Greg...

Okay, we're not on the same page here at all. I thought the whole "Crisis" crossover was oodles of fun.

Yeah, it was amazing. Had some plot holes here and there, but it's the closest thing TV has ever done to a standalone crossover miniseries like the original Secret Wars.

And I have to admire how dedicated these producers are to giving the fans what they want. Last year, fans complained that the crossover wasn't integrated enough, so this year they called fandom's bluff and made something so integrated that you couldn't even tell which show was which except by reading the cast and crew credits.

Okay, we're not on the same page here at all. I thought the whole "Crisis" crossover was oodles of fun. Honestly, one of the things I've always admired about THE FLASH is the way it embraces its Silver Age roots. Telepathic super-gorillas for the win!

^^^
100% agree - "Crisis on Earth X" was the most entertaining thing they've done and was leaps and bounds better than last years X Over event. And I LOVED all the 'homages' and call backs and working in the lines of "You have to take her up...up...and away!" and "General, would you care to step outside?!" They gave everybody something to do and kept everything in character for the most part.

And I LOVED all the 'homages' and call backs and working in the lines of "You have to take her up...up...and away!" and "General, would you care to step outside?!"

Although it's surprising how many Marvel nods there were in this ultimate DC crossover. Supergirl doing a Hulk clap, Stein trying to give Jax spider powers, Atom enlarging his hand Ms. Marvel-style and saying "It embiggens," Atom and Mister Terrific doing the T-Sphere equivalent of the iconic "Ant-Man riding Hawkeye's arrow" tandem move.

I haven't watched any of the DC TV shows (and intended to) but Jr. recently advised me he's recently quit watching all of the DC shows and not to bother.

I was going to get his take on the strengths and weaknesses of DCTV and report them here, but frankly I'm just too worried about Greg...

You're talking to someone who has written Detective Chimp and Giant Lizard-Man Jimmy Olsen on occasion. :)

Although it's surprising how many Marvel nods there were in this ultimate DC crossover. Supergirl doing a Hulk clap, Stein trying to give Jax spider powers, Atom enlarging his hand Ms. Marvel-style and saying "It embiggens," Atom and Mister Terrific doing the T-Sphere equivalent of the iconic "Ant-Man riding Hawkeye's arrow" tandem move.
I'm not so sure about the 'Hulk clap'. If you check out 1977's 'Superman Vs. Muhammad Ali' Superman employs that exact same move and I'm pretty sure he was using it before then. And of course there was the whole 'Spider-Man' talk between Jax & Stein in Jitters in episode one :).

Back