The Flash has turned into a kids show...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by WraithDukat, Oct 26, 2017.

1. WraithDukat

WraithDukat Captain Captain

I would've called season 1 - 3 'Family Entertainment'. You can be suitable for kids without being overly campy/cheesy.

2. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

The 1960s Batman is a prime example of a superhero show being overly campy and cheesy but not a kid's show. Super Friends was a kid's show. Being overly campy and cheesy is something else, something that we can call, say, "being overly campy and cheesy." Is The Flash that? Not by Batman-standards. I've really enjoyed the Elongated Man, by the way.

Serveaux likes this.
  3. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

TNG was widely regarded in LA as kind of a kid's show, at least according to some of the folks who worked for the producers. The distinction between "family entertainment" and children's entertainment is fuzzy.

4. The Realist

The Realist Vice Admiral Admiral

I've found Flash's more comedic turns this season delightful and welcome. I'm not going to go so far as to say superhero shows should never be dramatic or thoughtful (Supergirl's "Faithful" is my favorite hour of Arrowverse TV so far this season), but there's nothing wrong with a little froth and fun, either.

Noname Given likes this.
  5. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Don't insult a show by calling it a kid show. There are great kid shows and there are terrible adult shows. The Flash's problem is that the quality went down after a fantastic first season.

6. ihno

ihno Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No, it's not a kid-show. The kid show would have Kid Flash as the star, not Flash. ;)

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Exactly. Like I always say, surely our children deserve the best we're capable of giving them. Whenever I hear someone equate "kid stuff" with "inferior stuff," I pray they don't have children of their own, or work in a profession that caters to children. Presumably most of the people who make kids' shows are doing it because they care about kids and want to give them worthwhile things.

8. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

The Flash was always meant to be one of the lighter, kid-friendly, superheroes in the DC mythos. One could argue that the more dour seasons 1-3 were a result of Thawne messing with Barry's earlier life, and the true Barry is finally emerging.

cylkoth likes this.
  9. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Okay, we're not on the same page here at all. I thought the whole "Crisis" crossover was oodles of fun. Honestly, one of the things I've always admired about THE FLASH is the way it embraces its Silver Age roots. Telepathic super-gorillas for the win!

I'm still hoping that we get Streaky the Super-Cat on SUPERGIRL eventually. Or maybe Comet the Super-Horse?

Ovation, The Realist and Noname Given like this.
  10. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I haven't watched any of the DC TV shows (and intended to) but Jr. recently advised me he's recently quit watching all of the DC shows and not to bother.

I was going to get his take on the strengths and weaknesses of DCTV and report them here, but frankly I'm just too worried about Greg...

11. Christopher

Yeah, it was amazing. Had some plot holes here and there, but it's the closest thing TV has ever done to a standalone crossover miniseries like the original Secret Wars.

And I have to admire how dedicated these producers are to giving the fans what they want. Last year, fans complained that the crossover wasn't integrated enough, so this year they called fandom's bluff and made something so integrated that you couldn't even tell which show was which except by reading the cast and crew credits.

N-121973 and Greg Cox like this.
  12. Noname Given

Noname Given Admiral Admiral

^^^
    100% agree - "Crisis on Earth X" was the most entertaining thing they've done and was leaps and bounds better than last years X Over event. And I LOVED all the 'homages' and call backs and working in the lines of "You have to take her up...up...and away!" and "General, would you care to step outside?!" They gave everybody something to do and kept everything in character for the most part.

Greg Cox likes this.
  13. Christopher

Although it's surprising how many Marvel nods there were in this ultimate DC crossover. Supergirl doing a Hulk clap, Stein trying to give Jax spider powers, Atom enlarging his hand Ms. Marvel-style and saying "It embiggens," Atom and Mister Terrific doing the T-Sphere equivalent of the iconic "Ant-Man riding Hawkeye's arrow" tandem move.

14. Greg Cox

You're talking to someone who has written Detective Chimp and Giant Lizard-Man Jimmy Olsen on occasion. :)

Kai "the spy" and Ovation like this.
  15. Christopher

Did they ever write back? :D

Psion and Kai "the spy" like this.
  16. Noname Given

Noname Given Admiral Admiral

Any relation to:

^^^
    Yes, you'd have to probably be in your late 40ies - early 50ies to remember or have seen this on Saturday morning TV (which I did:eek::wtf::whistle:;))

Ovation likes this.
  17. Christopher

18. Greg Cox

We live in hope.

Krypto pops up in one of my DC novelizations, too, although I don't think I've ever had a chance to write Ace the Bat-Hound.

19. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Nurse ! The patient is conscious again nurse !

20. N-121973

N-121973 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm not so sure about the 'Hulk clap'. If you check out 1977's 'Superman Vs. Muhammad Ali' Superman employs that exact same move and I'm pretty sure he was using it before then. And of course there was the whole 'Spider-Man' talk between Jax & Stein in Jitters in episode one :).