The First Trailer

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Squiggy, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

It could be standard-issue for planet-side operations.
    Picard also had a wheeled vehicle stored on the Enterprise-E.

Kor

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Beats the Hell out of walking everywhere and less energy intensive than the transporter. :techman:

3. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey, it's progress.
    Back in 2009 we had a big trailer controversy because Kirk said "man" in his line "Why are you talking to me, man"

4. Overgeeked

Overgeeked Captain Captain

But... but... don't you know that's how it works? If you have Fan A and Fan B and they have both seen every episode, movie, and animated doo-dah with the Trek label on it, own every disc of every season of every series and have multiple formats of every movie, the only way to determine who's right is to check who started watching first. So if Fan A watched on the original premier night, but Fan B heard about it the next day and watched it from week two on, then Fan A is always right when there's a disagreement between Fan A and Fan B. At least that's how people who post about all the Trek shit they own and when they started watching come across. Welcome to the epeen era of fandom.

5. Overgeeked

Overgeeked Captain Captain

:guffaw:

6. BillJ

Yeah.

The original post made it sound like the studio had a vendetta against Roddenberry and stopped him from landing the saucer. When, in fact, Roddenberry could have landed the saucer any time he pleased, he just would've had to divert funds from elsewhere to do it.

One Hell of a difference.

7. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I said that, when the thread re-opened, there would be no further discussion of other fans and I meant it.

You now have a warning. Comments to PM.

8. WoTe

WoTe Lieutenant Red Shirt

I've stopped going to the theater about 10 years ago when I capitulated that in the war of style vs substance, style has won this generation. It's not even like a battle or balancing act anymore.

Every time the new Trek movie reiterated, I expected and wasn't disappointed that it went further and further into modern action film save-the-cat plot blandness. I only spent a buck or buck-fifty at redbox, why would I give a shit?

Enjoy the fucking decline, where every movie is just like the previous one written for and by 13 year olds, or by those with that mentality. I suppose modern cinema has an illusion of infinite diversity in infinite combinations.... and yet it all tastes the same after you've seen a handful.

(BTW, I think trek movies on the whole are unmemorable slop so this isn't nostalgia.)

9. BillJ

Don't let the door hit you on the way out! :techman:

10. WoTe

WoTe Lieutenant Red Shirt

It can't, the door is trying to get away from this shitshow as well.

11. BillJ

I just can't imagine ever rooting for a Star Trek project to fail. Which I'm seeing here quite a bit. Even when I was unhappy, I was never rooting against it.

12. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, I don't think it's fair to lump budgetary constraints together with some supposed ideological battle over the creator's vision (i.e. censorship of content).

In the world of TV production, in almost every case, the final show probably won't be exactly what was originally conceptualized, whether in big or small ways, or both. But not being able to show the ship landing on planets is a different matter than, for instance, having difficulty addressing topics like politics, religion, sexuality, etc. exactly the way he might have liked to.

Maybe Roddenberry was throwing all of those things together and blowing things out of proportion on the convention and lecture circuit from the '70s on, when he was also promoting his philosophical "vision" that didn't really exist until well after the series was over.

Kor

13. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

It didn't sound that way to me. At all. I understood the meaning perfectly. I read nothing more into it.

14. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Not helpful, Bill. I'm not wild about the "written for 13-year-olds" crack, either, but let's make an effort to keep the responses from getting personal.

15. BillJ

Apologies. It just seemed like the appropriate response at the time. :alienblush:

16. Hela

Hela Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pity. 'Moon', 'Snowpiercer' and 'Ex Machina' were great at the cinema. They're not 'big' movies, but it just added a lot to the atmosphere. Though showings of the last two were absolute fuckers to find.

Then there's the well-recieved blockbusters like Mad Max, Instersteller, Inception, Gravity...

17. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

Just saw a trailer reaction video. The guy said, "I'm glad that this is a sequel that doesn't seem like it's going to be the darkest sequel," meaning after Star Trek Into *Darkness* they're not going even darker to top it like other sequels do; it has a fun vibe.

He has a point. Be thankful it's not STID II.

18. Amaris

Amaris Guest

While I loved STID, I do agree that it was very dark. Of course, when you're dealing with Khan, or any kind of person who believes in their genetic superiority over others, things can get awfully dark awfully fast.

I laughed during this trailer, which is a good sign, because I think it shows Pegg will have a good hand in the comedy dept. I don't think it will be a laugh fest, but I think it will be much lighter than STID was, or even ST09. Considering TVH is one of my favorite Trek films, for me that can only be a plus! :D

19. Ln X

Ln X Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The trailer looks great. Finally the Enterprise crew are up against something which ain't the Earth-is-threatened plot. I think the music, in the trailer, is horribly misplaced but the film does seem to have more of that 2009 feel- more fun to it.

20. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow -- I must admit I never noticed the picture of the TOS Enterprise in Kirk's fantasy cabin. But then again, I really tried hard to forget that movie.