The Final Ongoing Star Trek Box Office Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by MvRojo, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

Avatar was dogshit, I can't fathom why its doing so well.

2. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Because it's pretty dog shit. A movie doesn't have to be Citizen Kane to be good or popular.

3. GhostFaceSaint

GhostFaceSaint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

On the north pole in GhostFaceSaint's workshop.
    ^I don't agree at all, Avatar had a great story to tell with great characters, but it is hardly surprising to see Trekkies disliking the film because the humans were portrayed as the villains but you have to get over that; humans are not good creatures.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  4. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Hence SHREK 2.

A movie that's okay enough in limited doses, but never really deserved to earn over $400 million in the United States alone. It's not even as good as the first SHREK...which in and of itself was a bit overrated in many respects.

5. MvRojo

MvRojo Vice Admiral Admiral

Avatar is showing incredible staying power, earning $19.4 million and $18.3 million on Monday and Tuesday, respectively. That's an 18% and 14% increase from the previous Monday and Tuesday (not surprising since many people have this week off).

Avatar's total stands at $250.4 million ($661 million worldwide), and it will pass Star Trek today in total domestic sales after only 13 days. Star Trek should end up as the #7 movie of 2009, unless The Blind Side continues its amazing legs and passes it sometime in 2010.

6. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Could this mean Star Trek could do as well as a Christmas / New Year's release?

(I'm impatient!)

7. MvRojo

Movies can definitely do well in December, but Avatar is doing particularly well because Christmas fell on a Friday. That fact helped last weekend become the highest-grossing weekend in box office history.

Typically though, films that do well in this period are films that families can go to together since more people have the time off. So, Trek could do well here.

8. MvRojo

After this weekend's numbers, Avatar will be one of only five films ever to make more than $1 billion worldwide...and after only 17 days. It will be #2 worldwide within a week and will set its sights on Titanic's $1.8 billion.

Avatar will have $350 million after Sunday, and it will pass Transformers 2's $402 million and become the top grossing film of 2009 sometime this week (thank god!) :bolian:

There's also three movies now that could realistically pass Star Trek on the 2009 Domestic Box Office list (depending on their legs):
    Sherlock Holmes - $140 million after 10 days.
    Alvin and the Chipmunks 2 - $158 million after 12 days.
    The Blindside - $200 million after seven weeks.

Trek is at #7 right now, and the lowest it will can go is to #10.

9. You_Guyz

You_Guyz Commander

Its VERY unlikely.

10. Borgminister

Of those three, I can only see The Blind Side as coming close. Alvin will drop like a stone once school starts, and I don't think Sherlock will have the legs.

11. MvRojo

I agree on The Blind Side, but Alvin has a chance too. The first film was left in theatres for over six months (through May) and grossed $217 million. The first film had made $95 million after two weeks, this one is at $157 million. Granted that one was released a week earlier, but it still only had $153 million after New Year's weekend (its third weekdn), while the sequel will be closer to $180-190 million.

I agree on The Blind Side, but Alvin has a chance too. The first film was left in theatres for over six months (through May) and grossed $217 million. The first film had made $95 million after two weeks, this one is at $157 million. Granted that one was released a week earlier, but it still only had $153 million after New Year's weekend (its third weekend), while the sequel will be closer to $180-190 million.

The Blind Side is at $209 million and still have weekends above $10 million. I think it's safe to say that it will pass Trek at this point.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2010
  12. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

It's not that simple. :vulcan: Not every movie released at this time of year is successful.

And it certainly did not work for Star Trek: Nemesis, which was released on Dec 12, 2002. :guffaw: It had all the holidays to make money from, but only grossed $43 million.

13. Borgminister

Nemesis would've tanked in Summer too, I think.

"NuTrek" has a much more positive buzz about it, a greater appeal to the general movie-going public.

I think the impression made by Star Trek will bring people to the theaters--legs will depend on the quality.

14. Trek4Ever

Trek4Ever Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

How well Trek XII does during Christmas will depend on what's the competition. Nemesis had to contend with Harry Potter, LoTR and James Bond. Based on the meager genre offerings slated for this year, I'll bet that if it were possible to put out a quality film in time, that it would mop up the box office.

15. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Even removing the considerable competition that Nemesis faced at the time, I doubt the film would "mop up the box office," considering what the average take for Trek movies was at the time. It might not have been a bomb, but it wouldn't have been a blockbuster, either. Insurrection certainly wasn't. And given the hype (or rather, the negative buzz), reaching numbers that Generations and First Contact did was pretty much a bust.

16. MvRojo

He wasn't talking about Nemesis...he's talking about Trek XII.

17. MvRojo

Avatar is now the #2 highest grossing film worldwide, surpassing The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, and reaching $1.14 billion. James Cameron now has the two top films, with a combined total of almost $3 BILLION...ridiculous.

18. Stardate

Stardate Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

All hail King Cameron. The king of the box office world.

19. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    What is his third-highest grossing film? TERMINATOR 2? That one broke $200 million domestic before it left theaters back in '91. I think T2 would rank as his third-most-successful movie.

20. MvRojo

Yeah T2 made $520 million worldwide in 1991, which would be about $900+ million adjusted.

What's crazy is that Titanic adjusted is $950 million just domestically...freakin' ticket prices.