The Fall of Joss Whedon

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by FreezeC77, May 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I agree that is possible but you know the expression. Where their is smoke their is fire. Woody Allen who reputation lends credence to the accusations. Doesn't mean it is proven to be true but it's hard to not heavily expect them to be true.

2. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

I didn't even realise it had started! Not heard or seen anything about it, good or bad even that trailer tbf.
    Is it worth watching, anyone?

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's pretty rare to find a documentary on any big issue that isn't biased to one side or another.

BillJ likes this.
  4. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

No work is free from any sort of bias. Even an attempt to make a documentary as even-sided as possible is still going to be shaped by the interview questions asked of the participants, decisions made of when to cut scenes and in which order to arrange scenes, et cetera. The same applies to books, long-form articles, the whole gamut. There's no such thing as a work without bias.

5. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Look at Ken Burns' The Civil War. To this day there are people who say Burns took an avowedly pro-Union and deeply biased side in how he portrayed the Southern military cause and Confederacy.

So...yeah. Some people are never satisfied and some aren't smart enough to find satisfaction.

The Nth Doctor and BillJ like this.
  6. Timby

Precisely. And, conversely, there are some people who say that Burns gave an undue amount of time to the Lost Cause narrative in the same series.

(And I maintain that he wasted far too much in The Tenth Inning of Baseball focusing on the goddamn Red Sox. :lol:)

7. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Those folks need to be locked in a room listening to Shelby Foote hoot like an owl and then laugh like a goddamn fool at himself on a loop for 24 hours.

Ovation, Turtletrekker, BillJ and 3 others like this.
  8. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Uh-huh. He was only the father of her siblings and he had only been dating her mother since she was nine years old. No paternal relationship there.

"It's technically legal" is not the winning argument you think it is.

9. Timby

The paternity of the siblings makes things a little gross, but last year I seriously dated a woman with whom I legitimately planned to move in, as in we were looking at properties before we had a very ugly breakup. She had an eight-year-old daughter, who adored me, and she was great, outside of occasionally being a shit and very performative to get attention ... but that happens with kids of that age. Never, at any point, did I have any sort of paternal relationship with her; I always told the child, "I'm not your Dad, and I never will be," and deferred everything to her mother. Never even ratted the kid out when she was getting lazy on her homework, because I figured it wasn't my place. She lived primarily with her mother, and had a good relationship with her father, and I had no place becoming a third wheel in my relationship, so I never acted such. (Like fuck if I'd know how to be a dad, anyway. :lol:)

Not saying it's the same thing with Woody Allen and Soon-Yi, because there is very, very clearly some incredibly fucked-up shit that happened there, but just pointing out that dating a mother who has a child nearing early adolescence does not equal a paternal relationship.

10. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    "Technically not my daughter or biological sibling" never makes it any less creepy.

Anwar, BillJ, Gov Kodos and 5 others like this.
  11. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Listen, I don't know you or your situation. But as a general rule, if Person A dates Person B who has children for a long period of time, then Person A has a parental relationship with Person B's children, whether or not they want to admit that to themselves.

Particularly when Person A is the father of Person B's other children and has been dating Person B for over a decade, as with Allen and Farrow.

TREK_GOD_1 likes this.
  12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

There has to be more to being a parent than being in a relationship with the child's mother or father.

13. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If Mike Brady dumped Carol and was in a relationship with Cindy as soon as she hit 18 I don't think it would have went over very well...

Sci and Guy Gardener like this.
  14. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

The insistence that Allen was in some sense his wife's "father" is one of the more bizarre details of this whole mess. Aren't the facts of the matter grotesque enough without people making up shit to be upset over?

15. Jayson1

To be fair it seems to be working fine with Barry Allen and Iris West on the Flash. Those two youngsters sure do seem to love each other.

16. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I saw a skit years ago where the older Brady Bunch kids, admitted they all were doing it together after dark, because they around about the same age and not related by blood.

17. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

But they were the same age and equel to each other. And a fantasy story

Anwar and Guy Gardener like this.
  18. Jayson1

They kind of played that up for laughs in The Brady Bunch movies were Marcia and Greg discover they have the hots for each other.

Guy Gardener likes this.
  19. Guy Gardener

I watched a Biography, so damn long ago, where one of the Brothers told a story about how he almost had sex with one of the girls, but he screwed it up, and missed the opportunity. He was supposed to be somewhere at a particular time and missed the appointment.

It was weird to me, that he told that story to the TV camera, and we didn't get a counter point from the lady, about how she too thought it was a funny story worth sharing with the entire world, and her children, about how loose her sexuality was in the early 1970s.

20. Guy Gardener

If Joe caught them at 15 ##cking... Barry would have been sent to an out of state orphanage.

Serveaux likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.