The Fall of Joss Whedon

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by FreezeC77, May 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Commodore Commodore

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1391145341840408579

Gal Gadot confirms Joss Whedon threatened her on the set of ‘JUSTICE LEAGUE’. “He threatened my career and told me that if I did something, he'll make sure my career will be miserable and I just took care of it on the spot.”

Apparently she gave the interview in Israel so perhaps felt more comfortable talking about it there.

Not that the Joss Whedon 'behavior' hasn't become more well known in recent years. We saw with him getting pulled from the Nevers.

Could have probably done this on a different board, but with Joss Whedon having such an impact on SF&F both in TV and film.

I wonder just how much this effects not just him, but his company moving forward. I would guess Firefly does not return(even if it was pretty unlikely to anyway). Buffy reboots probably unlikely.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    LaxScrutiny likes this.
  2. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I literally just saw this news on Twitter and was on my way to post about it.

Not only do I hope Joss Whedon finally faces accountability for his behavior, I hope the same happens to WB who enabled his behavior and tried to cover it up.

ThreeEdgedSword, Sci and FreezeC77 like this.
  3. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Admiral Admiral

These comments sound pretty familiar, like we've pretty much heard this before. Can't understand the embedded video but Google translate shows this from the article so I'm not sure there's anything new or not:

4. Tosk

Tosk Vice Admiral Admiral

Hasn't that already happened? All his projects have dried up in one way or another, and his rep is in tatters. Barring a weird Mel Gibson-like return, he's probably done in this town.

5. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Bad Robot is J.J. Abrams' company, Whedon's is Mutant Enemy.

6. Sci

Sci Admiral Admiral

Still not over how much of a betrayal it feels to discover that this artist I've looked up to for half my life is an abuser.

DonIago, Skipper, Jax and 11 others like this.
  7. Noname Given

Noname Given Admiral Admiral

Yeah if you think he's bad think about all the Woody Allen fans who now know that guy is an incestuous child molester.

ichab likes this.
  8. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Commodore Commodore

the more telling is just how many people don't care and still want to work and make movies even after knowing about Roman Polanski or Woody Allen

ichab, Sci and The Nth Doctor like this.
  9. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I don't know. It seemed like he was still somewhat unscathed, especially with WB running cover for him.

As for a comeback, that feels like the ongoing trend these days. Monsters like Spacey, Rose, and Lauer are all trying to make a comeback. In a few years, I won't be surprised in the slightest if Whedon tries to do the same (and people will accept him).

That and people have known for years that Allen is a monster but they still remain fans of his work.

10. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The comics projects featuring the mythologies of Buffy and Firefly/Serenity are still going, and will likely keep on continuing despite everything. Mainly because comics don't involve cast and production staff who can be directly intimidated in person on a daily basis for 4-6 months of every year.

Yes, there are other ways of "getting at" comics people...and defending them, too.

11. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

And this is the guy who gave us 2 incredible Avengers films. They won't ever be going away. Though they'll always have an asterisk, I guess...

12. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Except he's not (Woody Allen, that is).

Dylan Farrow's allegations of abuse were legally dismissed by a judge due to a lack of actual evidence to support them, and his relationship with Mia Farrow's elder adopted daughter is not incest due to the fact that he and she (said daughter) are not related in any way.

13. BillJ

BillJ Canon Warrior Premium Member

You'll find an apologist somewhere for any person, regardless of what they've done.

Garak, ichab, Anwar and 6 others like this.
  14. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I don't think the consensual relationship he had with an adult is the thing we should be criticizing him for regardless of their prior relationship. The child molestation on the other hand.

Yeah Joss Wheadon seems like he's radioactive now. So he'll probably host the SNL season finale.

I don't think people are going to disavow his existing work much.

15. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the Avengers from me...

Or Buffy or Angel or Firefly for that matter. Just as Sarah Michelle Gellar herself said, she will always be proud about her work as Buffy even though she doesn't want to be associated with Joss Whedon any longer. Buffy was inspirational to a whole generation of girls and that will never go away. I despise the man but I still respect the work. Not that I think anyone should hire him again...

kirk55555, Anwar, Jedman67 and 6 others like this.
  16. DigificWriter

Pointing out fact versus myth isn't "being an apologist".

17. BillJ

BillJ Canon Warrior Premium Member

I imagine most of us here are still Star Trek fans to one degree or another, even though Gene Roddenberry was a pretty shitty human being. Not something I really see a problem with.

18. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Exactly. If Gene Roddenberry were still alive, #metoo would have destroyed him.

19. Timby

Timby Modster Zero Administrator

Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Anwar, Jinn, 1001001 and 8 others like this.
  20. DigificWriter

What is so weird about pointing out facts?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.