The Doctor Who Schematics Thread

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by starsuperion, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I love it. I'm curious about what a schematic for Torchwood's Hub would look like? But you're swamped as it is and I could be pushing my luck ;)

2. starsuperion

starsuperion Commodore Commodore

Well I may touch on the torchwood place after I complete my masterpiece.. the Hartnell Type 40, Tardis Manual..

thanks for the compliment on the final worked out image above, and special thanks to psion for asking great questions and pushin g me to look into the design a bit more, and reach deeper..

the Coolest thing is that in the image above, the little round orbs beneath the ring and above the ring, on the bottom are on a track that moves about the Tardis in a circle and manipulates the rooms configurations and adjusts the Tardis according to the pilot's wishes..

the track lowers downward around the center of the Tardis room columns and a beam of energy is emitted and the rooms move and reconfigure themselves accordingly.. if you were to go inside the room column, you would see at the center is a massive structure, that is partly visible in the top/bottom view of the schematic.. that central core is the main engine section, and computer data core.. from there the Tardis rooms are able to be jettisoned directly into the vortex swirling about just above and below the core from the massive Tardis engines (the rings) which focus the event horizon of space time into a vortex through which the outer shell is teleported into and moved throughout the universe..

[​IMG]

iF YOU THINK ABOUT IT THOUGH THE TARDIS IS ACTUALLY ON IT'S SIDE, AS THE ROOMS INSIDE THE FRAME STRUCTURE ARE RELATIVE TO A PLANETS EQUATORS..AND POLES, THIS IS BECAUSE THE TARDIS REVOLVES IN A CIRCULAR PATTERN LIKE THE EARTH, OR GALLIFREY.. AND SO ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE TARDIS IT IS UP, AND OR DOWN.. IT DOESN'T MATTER.. THE CONTROL CONSOLE ROOMS ARE ALL LOCATED UNDER THE BRIDGE ATTACHED TO THE FORCE FIELD GENERATORS..THEY ARE THEN CONNECTED TO THE ARTRON MAINFRAME A DIRECT LINE TO THE CENTRAL CORE.. WHICH IS BEHIND ALL THE ROOMS WE SEE IN THE IMAGE ABOVE..HOWEVER SHOULD THE TARDIS NOT BE COMPENSATED FOR LANDING SLANTED, THE SHIP CAN TILT ON IT'S AXIS AND THEN IT WILL SEEM TO BE SLANTED..UNTIL THE DIEMSNIONAL STABILIZERS CAN BE USED TO STRAIGHTEN THE SHIP OUT..

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  3. The_Architect

The_Architect Ensign Newbie

4. starsuperion

no I do not mind at all, and by the way, I have something fantastic coming soon! My masterpiece of work! the definitive Tardis Manual!

it includes some schematics and designs based on countless doctor who episode research.. and descriptions in the books, comics, novels and soo much more! I can't wait to share it with you guys..coming soon! :techman:

5. Admiral_Young

I'm looking forward to seeing the Tardis Manual.

6. starsuperion

I shall try not to disappoint.. I will try to make it make sense, and not contradictory to itself, and at the same time not boring and too overly technical.. with losts of schematic art work.. think of the Classic Star fleet manual.. circa 1960's star trek..

7. starsuperion

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  8. starsuperion

Okay, so now that I have the design of the Type 40 Tardis finalized, FINALLY, I can now focus more on the other things I wanted to do, in addition to the Tardis Type 40 Manual I am creating.. something akin to the classic starfleet cadet manual, this manual I am working on takes a deep in depth look at the Tardis and incorporates most aspects we have seen, and even explains the look of the newer ship..something you guys might like..who knows.. I wanted the book to concentrate mostly on the classic tardis, like the hartnell, to pertwee, and then jumps into the subsequent versions through the 8th incarnation..
    the 2nd half of the manual will center on the rebuilt Tardis, and the changes made to the ship which obviously happened in the time war..

that all aside, below you will see a preview for the Gallifreyan Wars with the Vampires, a Bowship!

The Heavy Class Bowship Preview:

Bowships were warcraft used by the Time Lords in their war against the Great Vampires. (PDA: The Infinity Doctors, EDA: Interference - Book Two)
    The primary weapon of a bowship was a launcher firing a "mighty bolt of steel" which was capable of killing a Great Vampire if it pierced it through the heart. (They absorbed attacks from directed energy weapons and rapidly regenerated damage from minor projectiles.)
    As most of the details of the Vampire War exist only as legendary fragments, little is known of the exact specifications of Bowship construction. (DW: State of Decay)
    Bowships were later used in the Last Great Time War, although their effectiveness against Dalek technology would have been presumably limited at best.

This Bowship has a spire on the front bow of the ship, incase of last resort the bowship can attain ramming speed and use it's front spire to impale a Great Vampire and succeed in it's mission. These ships had quantum Torpedoes and Mega-Stazers which could inflict tremendous damage on a Great Vampire, until they could use their Steel bolts. The Ship's weapon acts like a Hyper Magnetic accelerator, and super charges the bolt, which then is magnetically shot out at tremendous speeds to impale it's target within seconds of deployment. this provides that the Great Vampire can not deflect such actions, as it happens too fast. The Ship also sports psychic inhibitors, which protect the crew from the damaging dark energy effects, and the ship is adorned with symbols of the great Gallifreyan Empire, and as the ship travels it is protected by Old High Gallifreyan Text, which glows a Golden energy.. the ships are in a reddish brass colour, and sport bright blue hyperdrive engines..the front of the ship has a seperate bridge which regulates the weaponry, while the back section is the bridge, and navigational control, a secondary weaponry/Bridge facility is located below the Main bridge in case of dire circumstances..

The Bowship pictured is a heavy Cruiser class, I have a smaller freighter class and a larger dreadnought class in the works as well.. There are also factory ships which could latch onto an asteroid which could be mined for steel, and the ship's could teleport that spire into it's loading bay to reload for battle..

however, Long range teleportation was limited..in many cases these heavily armed massive mining ships would follow a formation of Warships as supply support.. they had limited weapons but great and powerful shielding and super thick hulls.

the name of this particular ship is written in high Galifreyan on the top section just behind the main weapons control, and says "Vanquisher"

I hope you guys like....:techman:
    [​IMG]

The Final Schematic will follow, with a detailed mark-up explaining where everything is on the ship..
    by the way, this is a "Doctor Who" Schematics thread, so I am not just focusing on the Tardis here, there will be plenty of other designs done, like the Bowships, I will mainly be concentrating on Gallifreyan Tech first.. then on to others...some we have seen, some we haven't seen..but for now, the Bowships, the citadel of the Timelords, and some other Time Lord stuff, like the Academy..I will also get on into the Time war, and yes, various tardises will make their way here as well.. And yes, the Solar Engineering ship that once belonged to Omega, including a detailed look at the Hand of Omega..
    now picture the massive ship that Rassilon commanded, it was black with burnt red in some areas, and adorned with golden glowing High Gallifreyan text.. that ship will be the last one of the bowships done..

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  9. Admiral_Young

I can't wait to see the Hand of Omega...and what was the power gauntlet that Rassilon wearing in "The End of Time"? The bowship looks fantastic even though I've never seen it before until now ;) Will we see Dalek schematics? Or Cybermen?

10. starsuperion

thanks man, yeah rassilon's gauntlet, his crown, the staff, stazers, and daleks,cybers and more will all be done! the tardis manual will blow you guys away,trust me..:techman:

11. starsuperion

okay here is the first of many technical schematic sheets with Gallifreyan ships, one of my favourites, is the vanquisher class heavy cruiser.. however, when you see the dreadnought and the warship class, especially rassilon's command ship, you guys are gonna get blown away!! seriously, rassilon's ship is especially badass..black, and golden..and massive!!
    also the super massive mining/supply ships which make steel bolts for use with the hyper charge canon.. 1 mining and supply ship can service an entire fleet of bow ships..

I also have a short range fighter in the works.. I will also do the upgraded versions which were put into service during the last great time war, and used against the Daleks! Please stay tuned!

[​IMG]

Note imagine the ship in a Burnt reddish colour and dark brass, with Golden Glowing High Gallifreyan Text, with the aft end a glow with blueish white energy.. as a charging hyper bolt bay is brimming with arcing lightning bolts of blue energy, just as a massive steel bolt is loaded in it's bay, and shot outward at tremendous speeds, so fast that it is a chrome steel blur, striking at the heart of a hovering great vampire devouring other ships of the Great Gallifreyan Fleet! In the back drop we see a massive mining ship providing support fire, as the massive main black, and burnt orange, with glowing high gallifreyan text, command ship of Rassilon's enters the fray, blasting it's enormous plasma canons, stripping flesh from the monstrous vampire horde surrounded and engaged as they tried to bleed a planet's life dry.

Now that is a Battle!

Note:

the Bolt shown is not actual size, and has been enlarged for detail purposes..
    the H/S/P stands for Hyper Speed Parsec, comparable to Warp Drive Speeds.. 1 H/S/P is equal to 2.5 Warp Factors
    Stasers only affect organic matter, and Mega stasers can penetrate other ship's hulls and destroy the organic life inside, leaving the ship intact.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  12. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You are far too gracious about this, Starsuperion. It's easy for me to sit on the sidelines and make vague suggestions that radically alter artwork you spend countless hours sweating over. Easy and fun ... you keep coming back with amazing pictures that are so distractingly detailed that I get lost in them the way I get lost in high-resolution photos of cityscapes.

You're a talented guy. Talented and productive. TrekBBS is blessed with people who contribute artwork on a daily basis, but you're a treasure in a gilded landscape for all the attention to detail you bring to your projects.

When I visit conventions, I pay for stuff that doesn't measure up to the quality you bring to your sketches, and I'd kill -- literally -- to have a bit more of that character in me. I rank you up with the best I've seen on this forum and I hope you're making a living with your gifts because the distractions a mundane, nine-to-five job in an office might bring squander precious moments that would be better spent adding your visions to this world.

And! As if that wasn't enough, you have the humility (and bravery!) to actively consider and encourage nit-picking from your fans? There is liquid awesome flowing in your veins!

I hope some of that makes you feel proud, because I mean every word of it.

Now then ... about those new designs:

I love where you're going, but step back. This looks a little too Cardassian. The armatures, the structures at the top of the core, and the little, squashed disks on the "stalactites" under the vessel all contribute to a sense that this is derivative of the design of DS9. Not that it is -- I think this notion of field forces might have inadvertently led you down a path of artistic convergent evolution. Maybe if they curved inward more at the top and bottom, or had more intricate and ornate curves at the middle? Or if there were smaller curving armatures reaching up from the core towards the big ones? I don't know -- you're the one with talent, I'm just here to make your life difficult. :D

As the ship grows, do those armatures move further away from the core? That is, I'm assuming the cylindrical modules covered with roundels get added or dropped as the ship's mass grows or shrinks. I then imagine that they either don't grow beyond the limits of the armatures or the armatures can extend further out to encompass the extra size of the ship. If they do extend outward, and if they are devices intended to manipulate the field lines of the time vortex, then I also imagine they'd have to reconfigure their curvature ... flexing like mechanical tentacles to optimize their performance for a given configuration.

The roundels are a nice touch, by the way. They're huge, and the difference in scale between exterior and interior might compromise their recognition. If you want to cover the hull in Time Lord hieroglyphics, perhaps you can constrain the roundels to vertical strips -- rectangular regions of roundels that are textured with set-scaled detail. Similar to what you show, but just a bit more narrow. In your drawings, they'd never appear to be anything but gray blocks because they're so small in comparison, but any closeup views of the exterior would show acres of roundels stretching away into the distance.

I love the underside of the core. The volumes feel very iron-age-ish, but on a massive scale iron could never achieve. This is a steam locomotive of time travel -- fantastically advanced to mere 21st century humans, but quaint and dated to the people who built her. I almost wonder if there should be moving parts ... vortex flywheels and causal pistons that hammer away along the exterior of the ship as it flings itself across space and time. Of course, if we keep thinking like this, we'll soon have the TARDIS blowing steam and billowing clouds of coal smoke.

I'm glad you've brought down the scale again; I've always thought of the TARDIS as huge, but not as large as you've sometimes shown it. Of course, I still insist my knowledge of Who is hardly exhaustive, so there's room for us to quibble. It's a shame, on a ship this large, that we've never seen huge internal spaces. Perfectly understandable, given the budget, but still a shame.

Finally, the Bow Ship.
    Outstanding! Bricklike, functional, it's a tank in space rendered large. Conceived in battle and executed with one purpose.

I have one very minor nitpick. The communications array currently points directly at the main weapons control superstructure on the bow. This makes sense if that parabolic dish is focusing energy on the array and broadcasting it across that space, but being a communications array, I suspect the main weapons control would interfere with its function ... and any organic tissues in weapons control might get cooked by RF when that giant dish sends a message. Oh, sure, the dish might swing 'round and point in different directions, but I'd suggest positioning it a little higher.

13. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Stangely, the bowship looks more to me like the Saratoga from "Space: Above and Beyond" than anything Cardassian. Lemme see here...

http://spaceaboveandbeyond.tv/images-saratoga.html

Still some awesome stuff though, and hardly "bowlike". Keep it coming! :) :)

Mark

14. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Whoops! I've been away from the forum for a few days and haven't had a chance to respond to Starsuperion's posts in a timely manner. That first section, where I suggest his design resembles elements from DS9 (a Cardassian station, of course) was in reference to his sketch for the TARDIS. I should have quoted relevant sections from his posts, but my posts get a little long as it is ...

Sorry for the confusion. Once again "Now then, about those designs" referred to the TARDIS, and "Finally, the Bow Ship" had a comment about his prairie dogs.

I mean Bow Ships!

15. starsuperion

I am humbled by that and motivated..thank you very much.:techman:

that you do.. LOL :guffaw:

anyhow, I was thinking, why do we even need those massive structural bows anyhow? I mean the Tardis is essentially just a series of modifiable Rooms and massive engines with a central core structure..

so maybe it should just be that, and no additional inferences added..

That was the general Idea.. yeah they would be an extension of the ship's core structure and were meant to create a magnetic field which held back the tremendous dimensional forces and pressure on the main structure....but then again, if we remove the armatures, then the ship doesn't have that as a restriction..

that is correct, actually the cylinders are hexagonal from the top..anyways, these room structures already sport a shield network of columns which line the exterior of the cylinder on their edges.. it could be surmised that the room sections do not need a superseding structural armature, because each room is individually protected.. a fact that I sometimes forget, but now that we are discussing the removal of the armatures, it makes sense.. think of it like this, the rooms once constructed are powered up by the ship and add their own shielding to the overall structure, but as a section of cylinder room decks are jettisoned, they immediately loose their shielding, and convert to plasma, and ignite the vortex,, providing the thrust the Tardis needs to boost out of a super heavy gravitational area where it lacks the necessary power to do it on it's own merit...

I mean in some instances we could modify the armatures to be more boxy.. but I think ultimately that is counter productive to the overall feel of the ship..

though that is a brilliant idea, no that wasn't the intention.. the Time Vortex is manipulated through the central engine at the base of the Tardis structure, where it acts like a rudder if you will, in the stream of time and dimension.. there is no actual thrust seen in the vortex because all of that energy is being manipulated in the other dimension, the end result of which moves that gateway with the construct (police Box) through the vortex and time and space.. it's like it teleports it's entire dimension throughout the galaxy, in reality it is actually doing that to the outside, and it's manifestation in our dimension.. so there doesn't really need to be a vortex stream inside the ship's dimension, like I originally thought, good thing I went back and did more research..:techman:

that sounds intriguing, can you do a little work and give me an example of what you are talking about??

yeah I was thinking that there should be some piston like apparatuses inside the interior of the ship's structure, and be a part of the main engineering.. I did a newer design, removing the massive boiler like engine, to a degree, and the armatures, in the thinking that:

1. the Armatures are not needed, because each room has their own shield generating columns..

2. I go back to the Great spaceship design, Mr. Jeffries, why would an advanced society make a ship where you had to go outside to repair something, when it makes much more sense to have most of it inside the ship for access..even if the tardis were self repairing to a degree, the bulky nature of the engines in my previous design may have been a tad too much..

hmm... maybe all I need to do is just make those shield generating columns on the outside of the ship a bit more pronounced..

I agree, maybe with the advancements in CGI and such we will get to see it in the newer series..as for the scale, I agree, to me, the size you see in the design above is much more along the lines of what should be the tardis in size.. it should be relative to it's power output, and given that each deck section of room must maintain a certain level of shielding in the dimension, or maybe it's an energy field that keeps the dimension at bay, either way, I think that the ship's size is determined by it's available energy, and if it is in dire energy needs, those parts of the ship begin to suffer from vortex or dimensional decay.. it makes sense..

thanks, the goal was to make the ship look sturdy and bulky like an ancient ramming ship of sorts..in case that was the last resort, and structurally the ship's hull was reinforced to withstand the tremendous power behind it's steel bolt blaster, and shock absorbtion for ramming into a vampire with the ship itself..

actually the dish is just for communications and sensory work, I have moved it higher on the ship's bridge, think of the antennae structures at the top of the weapons control, they are fins, but act like focusing tools that assist in the communications and sensory dish.. the stasers on the side of the ship emit a focused beam which is then directed to other ships hulls, or vampires and affects organic material..but the dish has no damaging ability, unless rewired, in which case would be a last resort, and would be used in the event the main weapons control was destroyed, and all other weapons were offline..

I also added the Type-7 to the name of the steel spire.. as with the heavy cruisers, they carried 5 type 7 steel bolts, which housed explosives which could destroy a vampire's heart completely.. from what I have read, in some cases this was necessary..

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  16. starsuperion

wow! I didn' even know what that was, nice link, that is a cool website! actually I was thinking of modeling the bowships more on the look of the ships from battle fleet gothic, and the imperial navy..

http://www.pictorsstudio.com/battlefleet.htm

only in a more Gallifreyan aesthtic..

17. Admiral_Young

Very cool....I was actually reminded of the aforementioned Saratoga mixed with the Federated Army battlecrusiers from "The Fifth Element". I love both of those designs including the bowship. I could see Rassilon kicking some Dalek can with these bad boys. "Exterminate this...you bucket of bolts. For Gallifrey!!"

18. starsuperion

he he he, wait till you see Rassilon's command ship! It is fantastic!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  19. starsuperion

Like I did once before with the Bowship design,

Here is a preview before the final schematic sheet, of the Type 40 TT capsule as seen within it's own dimension..

A couple of design notes..

the ship can make and jettison new room sections at will, which would delete them via a dispersal pattern, which converts them into their raw plasma like state, which is then ignited in the vortex to produce thrust.. if this is done, the outer structure of the Tardis rooms remains in tact.. that is because the outer structure is the absolute limits of the ship itself, and must remain, inside the massive outer structure, we see in the image below, there is a void of rooms, and what looks like Victorian Ironwork, and a mass of energy piping, and circuitry nodes.. reminiscent of the interior of the virtual world of tron.. on the outside of the massive structure are immense roundels, within their own blocks, and sections.. this reflects the theory that the ship's roundels are an intrinsically essential to the ship itself..

the Tardis has one central structure which was the only part built by the time lord Engineers, this is because to create a Tardis, there has to be sections which are built, and the rest of the ship is cold plasma and molecular matter manipulations..

the Tardis central Structure looks much different from the rest of the ship because it is built by Time lord engineers, it consists of the initial console control room, default and secondary console rooms, shown in the 8th doctor's adventure 1996 movie-Hartnell's Tardis, and the 4th doctor's Use in the deadly assassin, the main computer core, main engines, main vital circuitry, dynamorphic generators, the cloister room, sensors, communications and scanning equipment, and the central column structure. all other rooms, and or devices are constructed around this.

for instance the main circuitry relays for the chameleon circuit reside in the main built structure, however, the outer walls and access panels to the circuitry can change with the "desk top theme", if so desired.. but the circuitry remains where it is, and does not move.. only the walls surrounding it are modified..

with that said, here is the preview of the Tardis as seen in it's own dimension. Also, I was going to put some Gallifreyan text on the outside of the ships rooms at their top, and then realized that would be fruitless, and unnecessary.. why would the time lords put writing on the outside of their tardises, no one would ever see it? so It makes sense logically to have left that out of the design.. :techman:

Just as the Tardis is bigger on the inside, so too is it more complex on the inside then outside..A stripped down schematic will be done soon after this one to detail the main sections of the Core Tardis structure..This shows how the ship works in relation to the console rooms, and the main reactors, and engines..along with the circuitry and computer core rooms..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  20. The_Architect

The_Architect Ensign Newbie

I am guessing I just missed it but I am wondering what you are using to create these incredible images? and are they vector art originally?