Poll The Doctor as Emergency Command Hologram

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Kilana2, Apr 19, 2016.

?

What do you think of the Doctor's command aspirations?

1. He is a M.D. not a Captain or Commander. Period.

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. The whole Emergency Command Hologram concept is questionable at best.

7 vote(s)
    23.3%
  3. He is a megalomaniac, but otherwise entertaining.

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  4. In times of crisis he would be a great asset for Janeway or other ship captains.

16 vote(s)
    53.3%
  1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

And after that: the EH.

(Emergency Canadian Hologram. :D )

DonIago likes this.
  2. Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME

Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For my part, 1) I wonder what would be Bob's choice - knowing that the emergency hologram couldn't be everywhere at once - if an violent attack (in the case where the holo matrix would still be operable, of course) or a fatal virus came to spread among the crew, killing a great part of the crew, among whom the 3 commanding officers (Janeway, Chakotay and Tuvok).

- using "his" holopogram as EMH (and its mobil ermitter of 29th century -> in allowing the Doctor to keep it, Janeway and her crew made a great violation of the Prime Directive, btw) to intervene and save people whom the lives can still be saved and/or rehabilitate wounded officers so that they can fast resume their services?
    OR
    - using "his" holoprogam as ECH on the bridge, to get rid of the ennemy and find quickly a way to get out of the mess created?

It seems to me that a crew can skip a Cpt, taking tactical decisions collegially, by basing them on the experience of each . But the presence of a doctor is too essential for the proper functioning of the vessel, espeically in case of emergency. Plus, in the case of Bob, "his" medical knowledge is so vast, that it would be a real waste to lose "his" program, even for a short time.

2) How a hologram become sentient & self conscious as Bob, could initiate 2 matrix programs so opposed to one another? -> as EMH, it will work to save lives - whatever the species met, while as ECH, it will be brought to sacrifice lives.
    -> we saw how the Doctor has been upset, remorseful after to have been obliged to choose between 2 lives to be saved (sorry, I don't remember the title).

To end, I think that the Bob's expansion of "his" original programming to include command skill was maybe entertaining but too dangerous. Too much incidents showed us how much uncontrollable (actions & reactions) he could be sometimes. And again, his megalomania... :rolleyes: