News The Disney+ (The New Streaming Service) Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Then they screw up the special edit, er um pies, that were so much better 30 years ago. Seriously though, I heard D+ censors Gravity Falls and I've wondered if there will be some time in the future where a content owner just starts changing things for whatever reason and because there's just one outlet for things that we lose some of the old things. Luckily, so far that has been pretty rare.
    I remember a time when videotapes and laserdiscs were like a $100 a pop back in the day. Maybe they'll become prestige items again.

I don't quite get the logic here. Hope Trump doesn't find out though!
    https://twitter.com/DonaldJTrumpJr/...ry/2019-12-27/trump-home-alone-2-canada-tweet

2. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Physical media may go the way of the Dodo, but people still buy it and download it for local copy on the computers,
    I have favorite tv series, or movies that arn't on any streaming service, and it would technically cost me less to buy a copy then to subscribe to a streamer for just 1 or 2 shows.
    Like the Film, The 27th Day, couldn't find it ANYWHERE after I watched it on cinimax years ago at 2am.. no phisical copy avaible anywhere.. I found it evenentually, but a streaming service? Not a chance..

3. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

We were planning to watch Home Alone 2 with Macaulay Culkin via Disney+, but it wasn't available anymore on that platform. We decided that, if we were going to purchase a movie via Amazon streaming, we would go for the Macaulay Culkin movie in which he plays a sociopathic little boy who murders people (which, come to think of it, probably applies to Home Alone 2 as well if the director was being realistic about the consequences of those booby-traps).

4. Mr. Adventure

Why wouldn't you just buy Home Alone 2 from Amazon though if that's what you wanted to watch?

Blooded and crookeddy like this.
  5. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wish more behind the scenes stuff was available through streaming. It seems like that would be easy to incorporate.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm a little surprised stuff is leaving D+ since it's stuff they own, but I guess it would make sense if they have preexisting deals they have to honor. It would be nice if they did what the other services do, and warn you in advance when stuff is leaving.

7. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer?!?!?!?

huge list of new stuff this week:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. kitik

Some contracts you can get out of, some you can't.

Ridiculous that some websites are acting like this is shocking news, because we heard about these movies leaving months ago. Avoid their clickbait.

Didn't we hear that some movies are scheduled to leave in 2026 or something like that?

Yeah, that would indeed be nice, but I can understand that Disney+ is still in their launch phase, and the last thing they want to do is post anything negative or discouraging.

And since they'll be launching in various territories throughout 2020 and 2021, it may be a while before they're willing to publicize information like that.

Of course, as we've learned right off the bat, different territories can already have different libraries.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Rise of the Silver Surfer, but not the first Fantastic Four? I wonder if someone else has rights to the first one or something?

10. EnderAKH

EnderAKH Commodore Premium Member

According to JustWatch it is currently on Hulu and Starz.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That would probably explain it then.

12. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I figured it was likely to come back to Disney+ at some point. It could have been a temporary glitch. Regardless, we enjoyed watching Macaulay Culkin go full sociopath.

13. Mr. Adventure

I have noticed a couple of movies like this where they stream for just a very brief window during the holidays where I suppose they felt it was worth paying the licensing for that period. I suppose it's kind of like the old days where the specials would only air once a year on TV. 40 years of progress to get back to where we used to be except now we have to pay for all those services instead of just watching them off the air. :)

14. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

That's capitalism for ya. :sigh:

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

How much of a licensing fee would Disney+ need for a movie owned by Disney? I had assumed the whole reason the studios were starting their own streaming services was so they wouldn't ave to pay licensing fees or at least as much of a fee, for stuff they put on it.

16. Mr. Adventure

https://screenrant.com/home-alone-2-disney-plus-removed/
    Which brings us to today's news. Collider reports that Home Alone and Home Alone 2 have both been removed from Disney+. The speculation is that even though Disney owns 20th Century Fox, they may not have the right to stream the films domestically. Both are still available for viewing to international Disney+ viewers, as well as a slew of other movies that are currently not available to stream in the United States, including the 1993 classic The Sandlot and, for some reason, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides.

17. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

This is similar to Netflix as well. Supposedly the U.S. has the largest catalogue but there are often pretty good things streaming in other countries that just are not on Netflix.

18. kitik

It's not a question of licensing fees, it's likely a question of preexisting contracts.

If some other company signed a contract to show On Stranger Tides in the years 2020 and 2021 five years ago, it's not like Disney can just go to them and say "here's your money back". They would have to pay a penalty to get out of that contract. And whatever that penalty is, they've decided that it is not worth paying.

Keep in mind, we were only supposed to have 8 or so MCU movies at launch, but instead we had almost all of them. So Disney has clearly been paying some money to get out of contracts signed long before the acquisition of Fox and the launch of Disney+ became serious ideas. But different contracts may have yielded different disengagement options. Maybe some of the Marvel movie contracts were going to expire in 6 months anyway, so they didn't have to pay much to get out of them.

Of course, this is all a guess.

19. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

If only we had some sort of system at home to watch stuff when there was no Internet...

20. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

I respect that. However, personally, I enjoy the idea of having more films and TV shows at my finger tips. It gives me more opportunity to find new media this way. For instance, Disney+ has National Geographic. I’ve watched some pretty excellent documentaries I might not have known about. Plus, when you consider what we pay for internet and streaming services? Far less than cable. Now, it can be a pain. My wife and I are watch/rewatching all the Marvel movies and sometimes it can take us awhile to get through one because for some odd reason it is almost impossible to get her to sit for two hours straight. We started Thor: Ragnarok in early December on Netflix. We finished it in late December on Disney+.