News The Disney+ (The New Streaming Service) Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Dec 22, 2018.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Haha, not surprised.

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Caretaker and Turtletrekker like this.
  3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Usually there's no way I'd sign up for something that long term, but it might be worth it for this. At this point if they do everything they're saying their going to do, I can't see myself wanting to get rid of it for a very long time, if ever.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  5. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    Gavin70, crookeddy and Turtletrekker like this.
  6. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Same. I wouldn't do this for any other studio, but Disney is so big that this seems like a no-brainer.

EDIT - maybe I'd take this deal for CBS All Access ad-free, because Star Trek.

7. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I recently switched my All Access to yearly because it was saving 20 bucks and Star Trek next year will be airing quite a bit throughout the year with Picard, Discovery and Lower Decks.

8. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Same here.

Just missed on the free AppleTV for a year with the purchase of an Apple device though, because I bought my iPad before they announced the deal and they don't grandfather you in. So I'm probably going to pay for that until "For All Mankind" and possibly a couple more shows finish up and then dump it.

9. crookeddy

I assume they'll have other exciting projects by the time that happens, because pretty much everyone will cancel if they don't.

10. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I can’t bring myself to pay for Apple TV. Especially only for a show or two. Disney + will have the catalog that both me and my son will enjoy. Apple, not so much.

11. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

No, I understand completely. All these different streaming services are getting out of hand. Even when it's individually $5.99 a month which doesn't seem bad it's that there are a dozen different services out there competing for your dollar and many more to come. People mocked about CBS All Access being "Only the cost of a few cups of coffee per month" but now every media outlet and conglomerate has their own bleeding you dry in you want to see their content.

Disney+ at least made it well worth your while with the absolutely massive amount of quality content available. But some of these streaming services are pretty bare bones.

12. crookeddy

Including CBS, but it has Star Trek, so no choice for us.

13. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I doubt I'll be getting any of them, unless I win the lottery.

14. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I only subscribe CBS all access when there's new Star Trek to be watched. And starting, now I guess (considering there's new content available), I'm going to wait for entire seasons to drop and only pay for a month. Disney plus, on the other hand, seems like something I would want to keep on a more permanent basis.

15. crookeddy

It's pure Apple hubris to bring to us a service with literally 9 things, to compete against services with 10s of thousands of hours of content.

16. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The thing about Apple+ is that most people are going to get it for free, right? (Or I mean most of the people who have it at some random point 7 months from now will have gotten it for free.) So they don't really need content until a year or a year and a half from now, when people's subscriptions start running out.

The thing about streaming services like Apple or Amazon is that people get them for more than just streaming, and for a lot of folks, the shows are just kind of a bonus.

Services like Netflix and Hulu, on the other hand, must have content to attract new customers and hang on to their current ones.

17. crookeddy

What? Amazon does have the free shipping, but Apple TV+ is literally just the streaming service which has 9 things.

18. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

Apple offers several subscription services that will most likely be bundled together. TV+ will be used to drive subs for that, rather than something that they expect to become successful on it's own.
    APPLE subscription services:
    $10 Music +$5 Video +$5 Cloud +$5 Arcade +$5 News +$7 Care

I had no idea what Apple Care was until Googling. It's a warranty sub for your Apple devices...

19. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Didn't we hear that people would get Apple for free with the purchase of an iphone or other higher end product like that?

20. crookeddy

Not just higher end. An Apple TV purchase gets you in.