"The Dark Knight Rises" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Jul 10, 2012.

?

How do you rate "The Dark Knight Rises"?

1. Excellent

147 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. Good

61 vote(s)
    24.2%
  3. Fair

26 vote(s)
    10.3%
  4. Poor

12 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. Terrible

6 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

I think fans pretty much came to that conclusion too

Dick Grayson- Orphan

Jason Todd- Hot head

Tim Drake- Detective

2. Lapis Exilis

Lapis Exilis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well if they'd retcon in the awful Son of the Demon and have Bruce running around with a biological son (which all sounds wildly soap opera-y to me) - and resurrect Jason Todd to boot, I guess nothing would suprise me when it comes to how they handle Robin.

Well, the article puts it a little differently:

Blake has the general demeanor, humor, and optimism of Dick Grayson - plus being a cop as Dick was (is?) when he first moved to the Nightwing title; he's an orphan from the wrong side of the tracks like Jason Todd (while Foley labels Blake a hothead, he doesn't ever seem to actually be one, certainly not anything like Jason was) and he figures out who Batman is like Tim.

3. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

Great end to an excellent trilogy.

I especially like how Blake now controls a Batcave under an orphanage full of likely candidates, ensuring that Batman may well live on forever.

4. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusion_power

5. Crusher Disciple

Crusher Disciple Admiral Admiral

The movie was a big "meh" for me. It was at least an hour long, and dragged too much.

I'm mildly satisfied with the ending. I'm happy for Bruce. I loved seeing Talia in the movie.

The highlight of the movie for me was Blake's character. I enjoyed watching him more than I did Bruce Wayne. Wayne was a little too much "50 Shades of Grey broken" for me this go around. :lol:

6. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

John's arc...especially the end...reminds me a little of Terry McGuiness as well.

7. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Sweet Zombie Jesus! That was awesome!

I need to watch this at least once more to fully ingest this movie, but here are some random initial thoughts.

Tom Hardy was everything I wanted and more. He has come a long way since Shinzon (and in retrospect, I don't blame him for that performance). Layer Cake, Bronson, Rocknrolla, Inception, and now this. The man has an incredible charisma and physical presence as Bane, and although he's not as chilling as The Joker, he's very terrifying nonetheless.

Michael Caine stole every single scene he was in and he had me jerking back tears more than once. Alfred's falling out with Bruce was shocking and disturbing, but it also felt real and a lot of that is thanks to Caine. Seriously, give this man (another) Oscar!

Major props to Joseph Gordon-Levitt who did a terrific job as John Blake and I thoroughly enjoyed the overall character, including the Robin/Nightwing setup.

I loved Liam Neeson's cameo largely because I expected him to show up in a flashback, but I was also relieved he wasn't actually immortal (even though the idea was referenced). Cillian Murphy's two short scenes were also great. He looked llike he had a lot of fun despite the small role.

I was firmly in the "Bruce Wayne should die" camp and I was even convinced that he did die, but I do like his final fate nonetheless because Alfred's fantasy came true.

I even liked the few comic book moments like Miranda/Talia reveal "Bane wasn't Ra's Al Ghul's son! I was his daughter! Hahaha!" and her death scene "Ra's Al Ghul has won...hahaha....."

The Avengers was incredibly fun. The Dark Knight Rises was more. Not only was it an amazing movie, it was a fantastic conclusion to an astounding trilogy. Thank you, Christopher Nolan, thank you, a million thank yous.

8. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

9. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Thank you for sharing that. Gorgeous piece of music.

10. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

bingo. this is exactly why I liked John's arc so much. I was definitely getting the McGuiness vibe the whole time... and having the Batman Beyond car flying around helped too.

edit: just wanted to add that something else I dug in the movie was how Ra's summoned his inner Qui-Gon to commune with Bruce! Ra's = not dead

11. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Heh! Now that you mention it, that's a perfect set up for Batman Beyond with that Car.

Wasn't there a Toy of John Blake in a Batman Beyond type costume too?

12. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Saw it. Loved it. The beginning might be a little long on repeated viewings, but the rest is wonderful.

Loved the ending. All possible endings I thought of were actually put all into one, that's pretty cool.

BUT John Blake is going to have a hard time, I guess. Wayne turned into Batman during long years of soul searching and extremely hard Ninja training. Even though that Symbol talk has some truth in it, Wayne IS Batman because it's his creation, his ingenuity and his physicality. You can't just take over that when you're only a cop.

And - digging through the thousands of Anticipation Station thread pages - I'm wondering: what became of this:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/51048

Or this guy, lol:
    http://forums.superherohype.com/showpost.php?p=21119347&postcount=940
    http://forums.superherohype.com/showpost.php?p=21119725&postcount=961

And it's so lovely when "insiders" get misinterpreted:
    http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/21632/-knight-rises-batcave-lucius-details
    Pretty sure he said ending sequence, because the location WAS used for the discovery of the Batcave. ;)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  13. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

No doubt part of Blake's inheritance is a set of "Ninjutsu with Bruce" video tapes.

14. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

15. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

16. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

No. The action figure in question is "Stealth Vision Batman."

17. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

At least Nolan had the sense to bring back Liam Neeson for the third film of his trilogy despite the fact that the character had been killed off in the first film.

I'm looking at you, Lucas.

18. Captaindemotion

^ Yeah, no Qui-Gon in ROTS was inexplicable

19. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Man, I really Ra's or the League of Shadows had played some kind of role (or at least been mentioned) in TDK. Hell, I would have enjoyed some mention of the monorail than Batman destroyed at the end of BB. I think there is a disconnect between BB and TDK with the look and feel of Gotham City.

20. Captaindemotion

^ though I did find it amusing that Ras and his daughter both died inside large vehicles...