"The Dark Knight Rises" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Jul 10, 2012.

?

How do you rate "The Dark Knight Rises"?

1. Excellent

147 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. Good

61 vote(s)
    24.2%
  3. Fair

26 vote(s)
    10.3%
  4. Poor

12 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. Terrible

6 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

This was an issue for me as well. Aside from the bits with evil Harvey Dent, TDK may as well have not happened. TDKR was far more a direct sequel to Batman Begins; I feel like the whole Joker story may as well have not happened. While it is arguably the best of the series, TDK doesn't really fit in with the other two movies.

2. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

It was definitely a good adaptation of the character... but I still don't know if Bane's really a worthy enough villain to be Batman's big, final opponent.

Beyond the physical thing I just didn't find him all that interesting here.

3. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Croc? In na NOLAN film? You may as well throw in Mr. Freeze, while you're at it. Played by Arnold. :borg:

4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Well, aside from Rachel dying . . . and Batman being blamed for Dent's murder . . .

5. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nowhere. He probably thought of fission reactors.

6. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

Fusion reactors exist. They're just not very useful. Up until now, they've all consumed more energy than they've produced.

7. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

But Joker's big plan involved breaking Harvey Dent. Joker's story is integral.

8. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

It's a movie. The reality of physics doesn't matter. He survived by bailing out, and it's not really important how or if that would be possible in the real world (since plenty of other things that happen in this movie series are similarly impossible).

9. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Funny how the Joker tried to kill Dent after he admitted to being Batman.

10. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Let's just call them fusion test devices. They're still a long shot from a working reactor that can sustain fusion reactions for more than a second.

11. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Why do you want to own films you don't enjoy?

12. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    ^Obsessive completeism is one of the major pillars of the geek psyche.

While there may not have been an overt League of Shadows reference in The Dark Knight, I frequently felt their presence in the movie. In particular, when Bruce is talking to Alfred about the Joker and Bruce dismisses the Joker, saying "Criminals aren't complicated," echoing Ra's Al-Ghul.

Perhaps, although Rachel didn't seem to buy it. The reason why she rejected him in both Batman Begins & The Dark Knight was because she felt that Batman was too large & inseparable an aspect of his personality.

13. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

14. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Stunning. stunning example of "out of context". I applaud you.

15. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

So what you're telling me is your only exposure and knowledge of Croc are the appearances via the Animated appearances over the last 20yrs. Croc was initially a strong arm who wanted to start a criminal empire in Gotham with himself as one of bosses. His appearance was still human just with skin that had a scaly condition look. So, yeah, a much more true to his roots type Croc could easily have been in a Nolan film.

Re-reading it I did not fully lay out my complete thought there so I see the confusion I caused.

I don't enjoy them as much as some other films but they are still good enough to own and re-watch on occasion. Just not as occasionally as some other super hero films of late.

16. The Mighty Monkey of Mim

The Mighty Monkey of Mim Commodore Commodore

LIVE ON STAGE AT THE ALHAMBRA, ONE NIGHT ONLY!
    In the context of a comic book movie, why do some people have a problem with Batman surviving the blast by, say, diving underwater? Assuming of course that, as we're shown almost immediately afterward, the autopilot was in fact functional and he could have bailed out with enough time that he wouldn't be right under the blast? It doesn't seem to me much more of a stretch than Gordon being in the back of that truck that crashed without any seatbelt and a big metal globe rolling around and coming out with merely a minor injury to his arm. (Or the Joker being in that other truck that flipped over and crawling out with just a crick in his neck, or Bats and Rachel falling off the building and landing with enough force to crush a car but being fine, to use examples from outside this film.)

Would it necessarily work in real life? No. But it doesn't seem unbelievable for Batman, especially since we already know he was more prepared than he was letting on in the moments before he took off with the bomb.

17. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I.... really think surviving any proximity to a nuclear bomb requires much more suspension of disbelief than those other examples. You're not talking about surviving being near literally enough energy being released to destroy a city.

18. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

Wait a second, people are actually silly enough to think TDKR has some sort of ambiguous ending? I know people want to read into it like Inception or something, but it is a pretty cut and dry ending. Forbes puts it succinctly.

Sure, the ending is chock full of rather outlandish implausible elements, but the entire trilogy has problems of that nature. It does not equate to Nolan pulling some tricky ambiguous ending that runs counter to anything seen in the films previously.

19. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Well yes, I get that. It's hard to explain what I mean. Certain events in TDK are certainly required for TDKR to make any sense, but the movie as a whole just doesn't "feel" like it belongs in this trilogy.

20. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

This. I'd be hardpressed to think of any film that didn't take liberties with reality as we know it for the sake of story, particularly a superhero film.