"The Dark Knight Rises" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Jul 10, 2012.

?

How do you rate "The Dark Knight Rises"?

1. Excellent

147 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. Good

61 vote(s)
    24.2%
  3. Fair

26 vote(s)
    10.3%
  4. Poor

12 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. Terrible

6 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

I guess I'll have to take a look at BB again, but as far as I know, decadence is the lifestyle of rich people, and corruption is the job description of politicians. Most often, what with the circle-jerk between the two, neither is technically crime.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I looked in my Batman Encyclopedia to see if the name Blake has ever been used before. In the long history I knew there had to be. There are a few minor one off characters of no significance.

But one stood out. In a 1952 comic Robin uses the alias of Don Blake to disguise himself as an actor. Fun coincidence.

3. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Blake says that Batman hasn't been seen by anyone since the night Harvey Dent died, as I recall (same with the newscast when he returns).

4. Dick Whitman

ok, He could have been active but not seen. Stealth is one of his greatest skills. Maybe he went back to the early days of only wearing a mask, like when he visited Gordon in the hospital. Maybe...

5. Lapis Exilis

Lapis Exilis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

6. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

7. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

No question, when the trilogy is released all together on BluRay I'll have to pick it up. Even with quibbles Batman has never been done better live-action.

8. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

No one answered my questions...

9. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Yes, someone did a little further upthread, on the previous page I think.

10. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks I didn't see. The first answer was a stretch.
    But the chase was at night, hence the spotlights. But the heist happened during the day.

11. Lapis Exilis

Lapis Exilis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I noticed this too - I just assumed they hit the stock exchange near end of day, so it was dusk, then night.

12. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

It seems to me that the simplest way to fit the Joker into the plot of The Dark Knight Rises would have been to replace Talia's role at the end (the person secretly involved in everything, the secret point of Bane's plot, and then the one driving the bomb to try to keep it out of Batman's hands) with the Joker. Say, Bane reveals that his plot all along was to foment the kind of chaos in Gotham that the Joker would take advantage of -- to be the man who deliberately unleashes the rabid dog again -- and that the wanton death and destruction is something the Joker wants to preserve.

It would also nicely dovetail with the idea that Bane was kicked out of the League of Shadows; the League's goal is to "restore harmony" by taking down the world's most powerful and corrupt power centers like Gotham, but if Bane's goal is to unleash the Joker's special brand of anarchy, that explains why he'd be kicked out.

As it stands, Bane's and Talia's motivations don't quite make sense, I think. We're told they want to bring harmony by bringing down the corrupt, and yet they still want to destroy Gotham even after bringing down its corrupt aristocracy. It would have been fixed by something as simple a line as, "See how corrupt Gotham is? They let their plutocrats rule with impunity -- and when I bring down the powerful, the people become just as corrupt as their former oppressors! Gotham must burn." Or some such.

13. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

14. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I said this already, but, despite what she claims, Talia actually has very little in common with her father in terms of what the League's purposes are. She comes to Gotham primarily to get vengeance on Bruce, using the pretense of finishing her father's work as a means to that ultimate end.

15. Dick Whitman

Greg was John Blake's age given in the script?

16. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I can't remember. The movie had already started filming, and the part had already been cast, by the time I got involved, so I always pictured Joseph Gordon-Lewitt in the part, and wrote Blake accordingly.

In general, movie scripts tend not to specify the exact ages of characters unless it's important to the plot for some reason.

"They need to kill you before you turn eighteen and inherit the kingdom . . . ."

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  17. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

That's what he led the assorted criminals to believe, but from his dialogue and actions later, we see that wasn't necessarily the case.

18. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

The aristocracy was never their target. Ra's and the League regarded the whole city as the problem, whether through participation or acquiesence (hence, Bane using the freed criminals as labour force, even though they are also among the biggest offenders). The original plan in the first movie involved destroying the entire population. Bane just turns one segment against another as part of his plan for slow destruction. Talia and Bane's actions are entirely in line with what Ra's al Ghul wanted before (amplified by their desire to avenge him).

Replacing Talia with the Joker discards the whole thematic point of the movie, the return to where it all started.

19. I enjoyed the movie quite a bit but the middle part dragged too much for me. I feel Nolan tried to do too much. If you think about he, he tried to cram his versions of Knightfall, Dark Knight Returns, and No Man's Land into one movie (!).

20. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Simple. That sequence took place on Ryloth.