The Dark Knight - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Jul 8, 2008.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

79.4%
  2. Above Average

13.5%
  3. Average

5.0%
  4. Below Average

0.6%
  5. Poor

1.5%
  1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I made a typo

Big deal.

2. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

So how Anthony Michael Halls role? was it blink and miss?

3. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Seems to be a common occurrence.

The point is, people who live in glass houses shouldn't criticize others' typography. Or something like that.

4. T'Pers0n

T'Pers0n Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Anthony Michael Hall was barely in the movie. From what I could tell, a scene or two of his may have been cut. But, even then he'd barely be in this movie.

5. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I only started it with a lowercase letter to play off of the percieved signifigance of it as it related to the poster above me.

6. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

^ Yeah, I thought that was pretty obvious.

7. T'Pers0n

T'Pers0n Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just want to touch one a few things. Eckhart and (to a strangely even larger extent) Christian Bale are being brushed aside or nearly omitted from many reviews. They are understandably being overshadowed by Ledger. But, they still are very good in this.

Eckhart has to be the white knight. Bruce Wayne has to come to love and trust this man on some level. He's important to Batman in very real ways.

In an interview, Bale described the way he's approaching Batman. He's not just doing the traditional Bruce/Batman role. He's approaching it as Bruce/Batman/Bruce. Instead of the silly guy in the suit, it's his two Bruce's where he's strongest. His layered performance is not only able to switch between both at will, but he can effectively play them both at once.

8. TGTheodore

TGTheodore Writer Admiral

Currently part of the Greg Kihn Show on KFOX 98.5 in San Jose, CA.

Been doing it for a LONNNNNG time, though. Started during the Golden Era of KOME in San Jose. :)

--Ted

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

THAT. WAS. AWESOME.

No, it's not a total masterpiece, but holy crap is it an excellent freaking movie. Heath Ledger was absolutely amazing, but really the entire cast was outstanding. This is by far my favorite Batman movie, and my favorite comic book movie. And yes, I only need just one viewing to be sure about that. But don't worry, I will be seeing this many, many more times. :)

10. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

The movie gets a solid Excellent from me. Excellent screenplay with very little downtime, superb acting, and an incredible shocking ending.

Eric Roberts is really good in this movie. I had no idea he was in it, and I was really impressed with his role. Nestor Carbonell and Anthony Michael Hall are in throwaway parts sadly. I was expecting more out of them.

11. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

Excellent. Very, very excellent. That's all I can coherently say right now, it being 3:30 AM and all.

Bane? They focused way too much on that prisoner for it to be just a throwaway character...

12. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

And they cast way too recognizable a face--Tommy "Tiny" Lister. You may be on to something. Then again, I can't really see Bane throwing the remote out the boat like that.
    There were three packed theaters at my midnight showing. Three. That's huge for where I live. This movie's going to make money like crazy. I just hope WB doesn't get greedy and start meddling with the next one.

13. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

In my neck of the woods, I've never, ever seen a theatre more than 70% of capacity. Ever. Not for any opening of any film. Period. Not Spider-Man, not Pirates. Nothing.

My theatre, which has it on two screens, was 95% or more filled.

It lived up to the hype. It surpassed it. It was brilliant.

Ledger's Joker owned. You actually did laugh at some of his hijinks, deadly as they may be. He was the perfect Joker, the perfect mad-man, the ultimate master of disaster and chaos. He was a perfectly dark funny psycho in every aspect of the word. If Ledger does not WIN an Oscar, it will be a crime against humanity. Nomination is not enough. He must WIN!

Despite reports of the film being not focused on Batman, it really was. Batman was the thread, the glue, that held the others together. Gordon, Dent and the Joker all had a good plot to themselves, but it was tied together by Batman. Everyone in the film got to do more, got to have more.

The look of Two-Face = spot on brilliant. The pictures that have been posted don't do it justice to seeing it. The action was brilliant and epic. The story was fantastic.

This is easily one of my favorite films of all time. It will take a few more viewings to decide if it is THE top film on my list.

As for the next films brilliant, I noticed something.

In Begins, when Bruce played drunk, he called everyone his "two-faced friends" - coincedence that Two-Face was in this film? Well, in this one, Lucious made a comment that the new suit should "hold up well against cats"...

Think about it.

Maybe...

14. Ihlecreations

Ihlecreations Captain Captain

I dont think
    That Tiny was Bane, but Lucius Fox's comment about the suit being good against cats was an eyebrow raiser.
    . Ok I have to give this a film a 11 out of 10. Even if you don't like comic movies this movie is worth seeing. Excellent. *****

15. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't think they'd even go anywhere remotely near the direction of Catwoman after the Halle Berry flow. We all know the next villains are going to be The Ventriloquist and Clayface. ;)

16. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd like to see Deadshot be one of the villains in the next movie. I always liked his costume.

17. FALCONX0N

FALCONX0N Captain Captain

I'm not sure if there should be another one. I don't think it's possible to get any better than that.

That wasn't a superhero movie, that was a superhero Film. Capital F. And it was exactly spot on- -there's a part of me which looked at the final confrontation between Batman and the Joker and suddenly came to the conclusion that this was the pitch perfect realization of these characters.

18. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I just got back from a midnight showing. Maybe some slight spoilers in here:

I was expecting a slight disappointment after how heavily this has been hyped. Well, suffice to say I was completely blown away. This is a great film. Not just a great superhero film but a great film period. It transcends its genre and becomes something amazing. Every single performance is pitch perfect. Ledger as the Joker is full of manic energy and perfectly captured the lunacy and psychosis of the character. We laugh at his jokes (which the Joker should be funny) but are terrified of him, too. This is destined to become an iconic film role. It is all too sad that Ledger should pass on when this role truly would have propelled him to the top. Aaron Eckhart also gives an incredible performance. There's no doubt in my mind that this is the definitive portrayal of Harvey Dent/Two-Face. I was expecting Two-Face to simply be the cliffhanger for the next film. I was very pleasantly surprised to see his story fully fleshed out and explored here, while seamlessly being merged with the Joker's story. These two plot lines complemented each other so well. I just can't say enough about how great this film was. I certainly plan to see it many more times.

19. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

I just got back from the theatre and I'm tired, so I'll just say this: :techman::techman::techman:

20. Messianni

Messianni Commodore Commodore

It's almost 4 am and I'll post more later, but...

...fuckin'. Wow.