News The CW network is up for sale

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Samurai8472, Jan 6, 2022.

1. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I saw the story about this on IGN, and I was wondering what this would mean for the shows.

3. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

What would the point of purchasing the CW at this point? The network used to have a decent group of varied television shows, but they decided to give all that up in favor of promoting DC properties. Without that relationship to DC, there's just not much value left.

4. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

5. Aragorn

Aragorn Admiral Admiral

What do you get with a lowly-rated network and no back catalog?

Seven of Five and Ar-Pharazon like this.
  6. urrutiap

urrutiap Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

i rememer back then in 2000 and 2001 when it was called the WB. It had normal shows long before its known today as CW

Best shows were these

Smallville, One Tree Hill, the last couple seasons of 7th Heaven and the beginning of Supernatural

Random_Spock likes this.
  7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Not quite. The CW was essentially born through the merger of UPN and The WB. That's what the name means -- the "C" is for CBS (UPN's owners) and the "W" for Warner Bros. The two studios both had failing TV networks, and they struck a deal to combine them into one and split the costs.

Random_Spock likes this.
  8. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Commodore Commodore

Saying over in the Bab 5 thread.. What will it mean for the Bab 5 reboot/launch?
    I mean what are CBS and WB selling off? Are the shows going to go to P+ and HboMax and the buying company get some physical assets, or are they buying the network as a whole and get to keep the DC and other shows on? Its just a bit confusing.
    I could see 1 breaking off, say Cbs, since it has its own network and streamer, and leave the WB with a network, but both pulling out, whats going to be left?

9. Christopher

Strictly speaking, the network doesn't own the shows, it just distributes the shows owned by the studio. The studio is the manufacturer of the product, the network is the "store" that sells it to the public. If you buy a bookstore, you're not buying the publishing companies it gets its stock from; you're just getting the store, and maybe whatever stock it currently has. You have to arrange to acquire new stock from the publishers.

So in principle, networks are supposed to compete with each other in the free marketplace for the right to broadcast the shows offered by the studios, which means a show from any studio can air on any network. Unfortunately, that's been obscured in the past couple of decades as the studios and networks have been acquired by the same corporate owners, creating an economic incentive to sell a studio's shows to its in-house network partner.

So in theory, if someone else bought The CW, they'd only acquire the network itself, but would be free to keep broadcasting any shows they were willing to pay for the rights to, including any WB or CBS Studios shows currently airing on the network. But Warner Bros. and CBS/Paramount increasingly prefer to put their shows on the streaming networks they own themselves, so they might not want to keep airing them on The CW once it's sold. Indeed, if they are selling it, that suggests they're pretty much giving up on it as a distribution outlet. I doubt the network will even survive.

10. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Commodore Commodore

@Christopher
    So, they would buy the "network" as in any assets, buildings staff etc related to the CW.
    But they would have to initiate new deals for any shows, unless There are current contracts till 20XX then theyd have to re negotiate. ..
    But basically I agree.. It'll collapse and the stuff will land on there streamers.

11. urrutiap

urrutiap Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

CW was known as the WB back then. Period. Gave us Smallville and One Tree Hill and yes pretty much the last couple seasons of 7th Heaven while having a crap show Tarzan in the City show

12. Christopher

Again, no.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_CW

Perhaps your market lacked a UPN affiliate and The CW was carried by the same local station that had formerly carried The WB, making it appear to you that it was a direct continuation. But strictly speaking, it's a separate network that replaced both UPN and The WB, is jointly owned by both of their former owners, and inherited programming from both.

13. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

14. DarrenTR1970

DarrenTR1970 Captain Captain

In Seattle we had both UPN and the WB.
    KSTW Channel 11 was the UPN station and KTZZ Channel 22 was the WB.
    When UPN and the WB merged, KSTW got the rights to broadcast as the CW.

15. BillJ

BillJ Former Democrat Premium Member

I’ve got sixty-eight cents, and some pocket lint!

16. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Premium Member

This is another good reason for the Flash to end after this season (Hopefully). You don't want to go 8 years on the air and then be on a streaming service. Time to close the book on this series.

17. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

The Flash should end with season 8 before the axe catches up with them.

I also wonder about the PowerPuff girls series. Will it skip The CW completely and just go to a streaming platform?

18. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

By your logic, The CW was also known as UPN back then.

Seven of Five and Turtletrekker like this.
  19. Christopher

Sometimes, when two networks love each other very much, they merge together and give birth to a bouncing baby network.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I believe all of the WB stations became The CW, and the UPNs became My Network, which didn't last very long.
    So I wonder if this means WB will be getting out of broadcast TV? Most of the other big entertainment companies have a broadcast network of course we have WB/Paramount = The CW, but Paramount also = CBS, Disney = ABC/Fox, and Universal = NBC. The only big ones I can think of that don't have broadcast networks are Sony and MGM.