The Confusing Case of Captain Pike's Chronological Age

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by TJ Sinclair, Apr 29, 2021.

1. TJ Sinclair

TJ Sinclair Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[​IMG]

publiusr likes this.
  2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

That too. :lol:

fireproof78 likes this.
  3. Boris Skrbic

Boris Skrbic Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Tim Thomason likes this.
  4. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

...So he was born in the sixties? (The original ones.)

Timo Saloniemi

5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Annoyed by inappropriate use of the word "Need"
    I really want people to articulate to me what aspect of the story has been lost due to not knowing the age. I have no doubt there such details are helpful with world building I often struggle with needing to know a character's age in order to engage with them or the story.

That's just me though. I'm that weird guy who thought Spock was the most identifiable character and he was part alien!

6. FederationHistorian

FederationHistorian Captain Captain

Then the answer below is the most likely answer...

since Georgiou could have just been taking a freshman year course that was a prerequisite to complete before graduating. Or Pike decided to take a sophomore year course in his freshman year that she just happened to be taking, as that sophomore year course had no prerequisite to apply to take it, and again, was a prerequisite for Georgiou to graduate and she had not completed it yet.

So, if Pike entered Starfleet at 19, then 2205 makes sense. Pike just looks 30-something in "The Cage", probably due to exercise and good genes, even though he's approaching 50.

7. Boris Skrbic

But he doesn’t in “Q&A”, which is set before “The Cage”.

8. Serveaux

Serveaux Boomer American Premium Member

Assume Pike was near 40 in "The Cage."

9. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep. Jeffrey Hunter has been retconned away. First Jim Caviezel, and now Anson Mount.

10. TJ Sinclair

What's Jim Caviezel got to do with it? (though I admit, I had thought of casting him as Pike before Bruce Greenwood lol)

11. 1001001

1001001 Pull Up a Groove and Get Fabulous! Moderator

Caviezel played Jesus after Hunter did.

Tim Thomason likes this.
  12. TJ Sinclair

Ah, right. Duh. Need more coffee, brain not functioning yet.

And here I am, the pastor's kid that had to go see The Passion of the Christ in theatres back then.

Tim Thomason and 1001001 like this.
  13. Shamrock Holmes

Shamrock Holmes Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Given that Georgiou's known diploma is an "Advanced Interstellar Combat" from an Andorian institution, it may have been necessary for her to take classes at the Academy in order to become a Starfleet line officer.

14. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Could see Pike at 40 but not 50.

15. Timo

Which I guess is as good as saying that he could be 50, considering how Picard is a decade older than the man playing him.

There's no real incentive to try and pretend Pike is in his thirties in the 2254 adventure, other than perhaps the fact that he wears no more braid in his sleeve than the couple of explicit Lieutenants he commands. The choice between forties and fifties is a toss; Pike might have ended up looking like that in his seventies for all we know, if not for him grabbing a time crystal and getting ideas about noble suicide.

Timo Saloniemi

16. Boris Skrbic

With all the gray hair in “Q&A”, which is set in 2254 at the latest? In that case he’d be 49, only three years older than Anson Mount was back then.

Again, “The Cage” has been constrained by Disco style on both sides of the timeline, so there is no point to recalling Hunter’s appearance any longer, unless we were to claim he very briefly dyed his hair and ordered more relaxed and muted uniforms an experiment.

17. Timo

Well, "weird sudden uniform changes" is a thing DSC reinforces rather than tries to downplay. And it's not as if Hunter's hair would be particularly non-gray or the corners of his eyes non-wrinkled.

So I wouldn't worry about "constraining" much. Kirk or McCoy can look like two different people without consequences; Spock can look like three. Pike is fine being three different folks, and still but one.

Timo Saloniemi

18. Boris Skrbic

He does have some gray hair in “The Cage”, but much less than in “Q&A”.

(I still haven’t quite given up on the idea of NCC-1701 as an abstract ship with two physical hulls and everything inside that goes with them. You switch to the experimental hull when closer to Earth, leaving the reliable hull parked at Starbase 16 for repairs, and then back to the exploration hull when heading once again into the unknown. Neither Kirk nor Scotty would’ve cared much for the experimental hull; it took the TMP compromise to merge the two concepts.)

19. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

Anson Mount is 48. Probably right around 44 or 45 when production was going on for Season 2 of Disco. He is the most current and honestly, at this point, has the most screentime as the character of Christopher Pike. I'm cool with going right around this actor's actual age as opposed to any other BTS notes or suppositions based on dialogue.

Until we get told he's just a really old looking 12.

Mr. Laser Beam and Lord Garth like this.
  20. FederationHistorian

FederationHistorian Captain Captain

The only other answer I can think off - that does not involved time travel - is that Pike was a 14 year supergenius that entered Starfleet rather young in 2224, and possibly passed the entrance exam on his first try. Meaning he really is in his mid-40s during “The Cage.”