The Classic/Retro Pop Culture Thread

@ Christopher
The Old Mixer is correct that Antenna TV is showing reruns of The Tonight Show.
This particular episode, also with guests Flip Wilson and George Carlin, aired Super Bowl weekend.

But if was hard to get flying Mustangs and Corsairs for a TV show, P-38s, -39s and -40s would be pretty much out of the question.
Looks like they dug up a couple of P-38s for the episode that's currently airing.

@ Christopher
The Old Mixer is correct that Antenna TV is showing reruns of The Tonight Show.
This particular episode, also with guests Flip Wilson and George Carlin, aired Super Bowl weekend.

I saw some of that, St. James had on one of those long early '70s dresses that looked like it was made out a bedspread. But then I fell asleep.

Looks like they dug up a couple of P-38s for the episode that's currently airing.

Nice. They were around, a guy who flew out of my local airport had one c. 1980. But nowhere near the numbers of the P-51 or Corsair. I think the services each decided to keep one prop fighter and chuck all the others in the late '40s. P-47's, produced in such huge numbers in the war, are rarely seen in movies (pre-CGI anyway) after 1948's Fighter Squadron; I believe they used a training or Guard squadron and the planes went to the boneyard soon after.

Exactly two though...not enough to pull off the Yamamoto raid in the prior episode.

Funny thing is, from what I caught half-watching, the Black Sheep made a bigger deal out of seeing P-38s, which were common in the Pacific at the time, than those anachronistically used P-51s.

Last edited:
OK, I don't get MeTV any more, but I was just checking out their schedule because we've started doing reviews of The Incredible Hulk over in the MeTV's SuperSci-Fi Saturday Night thread...and OMG, F Troop, which is set in the 19th century, actually did a Beatles parody episode!?! Seriously? (OK, not seriously, but still...not even a particularly timely parody, coming as late as 1967.)

So...Antenna has gotten to the part of It's About Time when they take the cave family to the 20th century. It's cute how they modified the original opening credits to reverse the time trip. It's a little early to tell, but I think that maybe the premise of having the cave family in modern times does work a little better...and better distinguishes the show from Gilligan's Island, though now it seems like a hybrid of I Dream of Jeannie and The Beverly Hillbillies.

Last edited:
So...Antenna has gotten to the part of It's About Time when they take the cave family to the 20th century. It's cute how they modified the original opening credits to reverse the time trip. It's a little early to tell, but I think that maybe the premise of having the cave family in modern times does work a little better...
No dinosaurs. :(

and better distinguishes the show from Gilligan's Island, though now it seems like a hybrid of I Dream of Jeannie and The Beverly Hillbillies.
Mostly I remember the fight with the Volkswagenosaurus and somebody clubbing the faucet in the kitchen.

Harrison Ford on Kung Fu! Harrison Ford on Kung Fu!

(And he's playing a character called Mr. Harrison....)

Ooh...and Andrew Robinson, too.

(And John Anderson, but he's all over classic TV Westerns....)

And IMDb says Denver Pyle, too, but I never would have recognized him.

In other news, the Decades Binge for March 19-20:

There's a hold-up in the Bronx,
Brooklyn's broken out in fights,
There's a traffic jam in Harlem
That's backed up to Jackson Heights...

ETA: Speaking of It's About Time and Beatles parody episodes...they didn't waste any time doing an episode in which the the cave people become a singing group....

Last edited:
Here's hoping for "Run For Your Life" to be released on DVD some time.

Kor

Due to the age of the show and the possibility of there being not a lot of interest for it, I'd say I doubt it. This is a show that Universal should have been rerunning on any of its cable outlets.

Saturday morning, I saw a Smithsonian documentary called Making the Monkees. Sometimes it's better not to know what goes on behind the scenes. :crazy::rommie:

And I noticed that Decades will be showing some episodes of Vega$ in the near future. I don't believe I have ever seen that show up anywhere in syndication since it went off the air.

There's a hold-up in the Bronx,
Brooklyn's broken out in fights,
There's a traffic jam in Harlem
That's backed up to Jackson Heights...
Cool. I'll probably put that on.

Vega$, was that show really a spinoff from Charlie's Angels or was the cross-over one of those network sweeps week thing?

Robert Urich? Ooooh, he was Spenser For Hire. I didn't even realized he was Dan Tana; I thought it was some actor trying really hard to be Burt Reynolds. I recognize him now.

Saturday morning, I saw a Smithsonian documentary called Making the Monkees. Sometimes it's better not to know what goes on behind the scenes. :crazy::rommie:

And I noticed that Decades will be showing some episodes of Vega$ in the near future. I don't believe I have ever seen that show up anywhere in syndication since it went off the air...

I remember Vega$. My oldest sister had SUCH a crush on Robert Urich!

Due to the age of the show and the possibility of there being not a lot of interest for it, I'd say I doubt it. This is a show that Universal should have been rerunning on any of its cable outlets.
Meanwhile, I can get nonsense like "Attack of the Giant Leeches" on DVD. :(

Kor

Robert Urich? Ooooh, he was Spenser For Hire. I didn't even realized he was Dan Tana; I thought it was some actor trying really hard to be Burt Reynolds. I recognize him now.
He did a lot, but I don't think he's remembered well. He was one of the team on S.W.A.T., then he starred in Vega$ and Spenser, and ultimately starred in the one-season revival of Love Boat. He also played a pivotal role in the first season of Soap. I wish one of these retro channels would bring back Spenser. I can remember when they were filming that in Boston.

I remember Vega$. My oldest sister had SUCH a crush on Robert Urich!
It was a pretty decent show, kind of typical of the Spelling shows of the time, but I really loved the cast. My biggest disappointment was that Will Sampson and Tony Curtis were only regulars in the first half of the first season and appeared only sporadically thereafter. And his Armenian friend from the pilot only made a couple of appearances later.

The Decades Binge for Mar. 26-27:

Looks like they'll be starting with a late Season 2 episode, skipping some Seasons 2 and 3 episodes, and finishing just short of the two-part finale in Season 4.

I was just reading on the Decades site that Nancy Reagan did an episode of Wagon Train...I'll have to watch for that on H&I.

That should be a good one. Too bad they're not showing the finale, though. That was a classic.

Retro TV alert! Peter Frampton on Black Sheep Squadron, H&I!

Aww...and IMDb says that it's the last episode of the series....

Wow, the show just went totally Batman in the 11th hour...Pappy's visiting fleet HQ, and there's a random-looking desk in the foreground with a clearly readable sign nailed to it that says "FLEET HQ".

Unless "Fleet HQ" is just that one little desk, as part of a larger facility...because there's a radio set in the same room with a big sign on it that says "AIR/SEA RESCUE".

Last edited:
Back