The Classic/Retro Pop Culture Thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by The Old Mixer, Jan 11, 2016.

1. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

No, they just showed that one. Saw that one...its Oct. '68 original airdate makes me think that it may have been an early step in the conception of Oscar the Grouch.

As in he never would, or we can never be sure...?

Just when I think I've figured you out...I was sure that loathing of Nancy Sinatra was a through-line. Well, it's the only one in this bunch that I don't have, and I have no interest in changing that.

This was an obscuro find when I was building my playlists. The airport announcements are a bit cheesy, but in an enjoyable way.

Kinda weak for soul of the era, but decent.

Definitely a classic, and I much prefer Dionne's version to Aretha's subsequent lazy cover (scatting in the foreground while the background vocalists do all the lyrical heavy lifting), which gets a little too much airplay for my taste.

I just read that the lyrics are meant to be a woman's concern for her man serving in Vietnam. That puts the song in general in a new light.

I read that Marvin's version was recorded earlier, but it won't see release until well into '68. Ergo, Gladys & the Pips get first dibs and do very well with it, though Marvin's will become regarded as the definitive version.

There was a decent-quality performance video of Gladys & the Pips doing it, but it was from Soul Train, and I'm not ready to bust the '60s vibe by skipping forward into the '70s just yet....

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  2. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

...and that's what made his a strong enemy, although short-lived.

She's made statements of this kind more than once. Add that to the deliberate way William Dozier and Howie Horwitz hobbled the character with sexist BS from the start, and Batgirl behaving more Barbie doll than crimefighter is no surprise, and as you point out....

"Nora Clavicle and the Ladies' Crime Club" was the jewel in the regressive crown glued to the heads of third season Batman's production staff. I don't think you can separate so sexist an episode from the Horwitz/Dozier mandates about Batgirl, or the character's self-defeating dialogue.

ARRRGH! My ears! My ears!!! Its been years since I heard this one, and I remember the reason why!

Timeless classic from the Hal David/Burt Bacharach musical standard-creating team. Warwick's is the original version, and by far is the best of the endless versions, as its original mood and intent was often altered in remakes, including Aretha Franklin's. Love the message of the song, which was originally written about a woman praying for a boyfriend fighting in Vietnam, but considering a period drowning in chaos and debauchery, the message is universal.

Always preferred this driving, energetic version of the song.

3. The Old Mixer

As has Eve on Ironside, and she wasn't coyly covering for her true sources as Batgirl was...and both ladies hold their own with the boys.

:lol: Yes, that's the reaction I was expecting! Never heard this one in my life before discovering it here. Back! Back to the crypt, foul beast!

_______

12 O'Clock High

"The Ticket"
    Originally aired February 26, 1965
    Holliman gives a solid performance here as the Conflicted Officer of the Week. Ultimately self-respect wins out over survival instinct, and so the farmboy flies his fighter (a P-51 Mustang doing a solo mission with bomber cover as a diversion) to hit a target that can't be bombed from above because it's obscured in a mountain trench that's protected by AA guns. I guess being strong with the Force also comes in handy with the British lottery.

I thought that £20,000 didn't sound like a lot, but if my Google Fu serves me, that would have converted to $80,000 in the early 1940s, which adjusted for inflation comes to approximately $1.29 million...so yeah, certainly nothing to sneeze at.

"The Trap"
    Originally aired March 5, 1965
    They forgot to mention the woman in late pregnancy! The tension of the main situation was pretty good, as they had no idea when the bomb might choose to go off, and had a ceiling threatening to collapse right over it to boot...such that when they were found, they had to get the message to their rescuers to stop digging. I missed some of the whispered-in-accents backstory drama of the characters that Savage was trapped with, as I was watching in the wee hours and had the sound down to a murmer. One of the occupants looked a little too Herman's Hermits for the 1940s.

"End of the Line"
    Originally aired March 12, 1965
    Major Joe Gallagher returns, and he's seeing Nurse 99...a relationship that's complicated by Gallagher wanting to do right by the manipulative girlfriend of a buddy who died in his place when he was scrubbed from a mission by a cold.

The buddy's girlfriend is lying about carrying her dead lover's baby, among other things. When Gallagher puts in a marriage request, British intelligence does a background check that exposes some of her dirty secrets. The thing that literally and figuratively opens his eyes is when he finds out that she's done some "modelling"...which involves a photo that we're only allowed to see the back of on 1965 network TV. Gallagher was portrayed as such a tool in this episode that it's hard to believe he's going to be leading the squadron next season.

Would you believe that the nurse is still interested in him at the end? I have a feeling that relationship won't be going anywhere...the old "guest girlfriend gets a regular gig on another show" trick.

_______

Backed-Up 51st Anniversary Viewing

_______

The Rat Patrol
    "The Kill or Be Killed Raid"
    Originally aired October 3, 1966
    Moffitt makes a most convincing Nazi. Episodes like this make me think they were maybe the show was trying to be part spy fi. It's good continuity in any case, that they're playing to Moffitt's established skills in reading Arabic and archaeology. But mastery of the TV Fu Knockout Chop really should be treated as a more exotic skill in this period. :sigh:

Ultimately Moffitt is found out due to circumstance. The episode plays the matter of Troy's duty being to kill his teammate weightily enough. And well they should, for zey haff vays of making him talk....No, really, the Guest German Officer of the Week actually delivers a variation of that line, albeit with a less exaggerated accent.
    But our heroes are lucky bastards, so the plan to assassinateMoffitt gets spoiled and turns into an impromptu rescue operation. I can kind of see what the people who were railing against violence on television in this era were on about...the Patrol was mowing down Germans left, right, and center in the climax.

The coda has the Patrol uncovering the well for the Allies and a return to lighthearted camaraderie...
    The brownfaced Arab girls in this one looked very '60s.

_______

TGs1e5.jpg
    "Anatomy of a Blunder"
    Originally aired October 6, 1966
    This episode is the first time that Mr. Marie meets Ann's boyfriend...but not before a comedy of errors has Donald threatening to make a bad impression from being all squinty-eyed, sting-swollen, and muddy. The picnic spot where most of this takes place looks a lot more Southern CA than southern NY State.

We learn here that Donald wears contacts...I wonder if that'll ever come up again

Sign o' the times: A reference to UNIVAC.

"Oh, Donald" count: 11+
    "Oh, Daddy" count: 2 (the first instance being the first two words in the episode)

_______

ETA: On the subject of hippie episodes...I see that "Louie, the Lilac" is up the week after this one...so Batman almost certainly takes the prize.

_______

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  4. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

That's what I was thinking, too.

I think one thing we can be sure of is Number Six's moral fortitude.

I was going to mention that I'm not a big fan of Nancy Sinatra, but I guess I already have. :rommie: Yeah, I wasn't expecting to like it, but it was all right.

Oh, yes, that's true (although I doubt if I realized it back then).

:rommie:

Good heavens! :eek:

5. The Old Mixer

51st Anniversary Viewing

_______

The Rat Patrol
    "The Chain of Death Raid"
    Originally aired October 10, 1966
    There's that story premise again...and this time it's not our hero and some random enemy of the week, it's our hero and his main adversary. Unlike your typical "shackled together" premise, they're joined by a pretty long chain...they could sit a few restroom stalls apart wearing that thing...if they had public restrooms in the desert.

The premise is really just a tease here, though. In the half-hour format, more time is spent on getting them in and out of their situation than exploring it. This really could have used a two-parter to give the enemies a chance to interact in a more meaningful way.

The episode starts with a bit of expository voiceover...I couldn't find a credit, but it sounded kind of like Ray Walston, whether or not that's likely.

_______

TGs1e6.jpg
    "Rich Little Rich Kid"
    Originally aired October 13, 1966
    The lag issue was particularly bad on Me's site this time around. I may have to stop trying to watch these if it keeps up like this.

This episode is pretty much what you'd expect, from what I could catch of it when it was playing like a slideshow with long pauses. Rich guy who owns buildings but inexplicably doesn't have a chauffeur asks Ann to drive him home in his Rolls. (How does he use the bar that he boasts of if he also drives it?) Rich guy tries to woo Ann by lavishing all sorts of fantastically wealthy attention on her. Don can't compete and gets really jealous. Ann winds up with Donald in the end, likening her Suitor of the Week to living at Disneyland.

They perhaps play up Donald's relative poverty a bit too much...he seems like a guy who could afford a happy medium between the Purple Peacock and hamburger / hot dog stands.

"Oh, Donald" count: 4+

_______

6. RJDiogenes

^^ What browser do you use? Maybe if you use a bare-bones browser, like Chrome, with no plug-ins or open tabs, it might stream easier.

7. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

I vaguely remember a show about a pink submarine and a very young Jamie Lee Curtis... Operation Petticoat. Used to watch that every Sunday.

Oh and thank you for posting those That Girl videos........ Used to watch that.

8. The Old Mixer

I'm using Chrome. Sometimes it runs better than others, but it tells me up in my address bar that the page is trying to run scripts from unauthenticated sources.

ETA: OK, I blocked JavaScript on their site and it's running smoothly.

NP. You can watch all of them on Me's site here: https://metv.com/videos/that-girl/

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    Gingerbread Demon likes this.
  9. RJDiogenes

I remember that. It was based on an old Tony Curtis movie.

For shame, MeTV. :( I'm glad you got it working.

10. Gingerbread Demon

Indeed it was..... I saw the movie after seeing the series. I just remember that used to be on here on the weekends on Sunday afternoons or sometimes on a Saturday.

11. The Old Mixer

I vaguely recall the pink submarine show as well.

My solution has the unintended side-effect of causing the video's ads not to run...it just gives me a black screen with one of those "werrr-king" circles for a while where they're supposed to be.

I'm scheduled to stop recording Laugh-In tomorrow, as I'll have the first three seasons, minus some odd episodes that they skipped for whatever reason. I've been treading water when it comes to getting things off the DVR...not having that 10 hours a week accumulating should see me actually gaining ground.

I found that Xfinity has an app that lets me watch things from my DVR on my laptop...but it has less capacity, so it only shows me a relatively small percentage of the most recently recorded shows. Given that I've been recording things for over a year and am watching them in a particular sequence, that's not terribly helpful for my purposes, I'm afraid.

Should I bring up my 55 Years Ago This Week playlist? Adding a little more variety to the listening with a long-term project to musically explore most of the rest of the decade one week at a time. October '62 was a hopping time...Dr. No; "Monster Mash"; "Love Me Do" in the UK (not yet on the playlist because it's based on the American charts)...and thirteen days that I'd like to be able to continue to say were the closest we ever came to WWIII.

http://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100/1962-10-20
    The ones in square brackets are the things that I don't have. And this one is organized in reverse order of chart position because that's also how I order my actual 50 Years Ago playlist...so that if I listen with shuffle off, I get a countdown (sans the Casey intros, alas).

I actually considered trying to work in a couple more shows to go along with this, but Me saved me from that insanity by not having complete episodes of The Rifleman and Route 66.

12. RJDiogenes

Win win. :bolian:

I've got the app for my Kindle. It's not the most user-friendly thing ever invented.

That's an interesting list. It's amazing how much I don't recognize-- including a very young Carole King, sounding quite 50s.

13. The Old Mixer

50th Anniversary Viewing

_______

Mission: Impossible
    "The Slave: Part II"
    Originally aired October 15, 1967

The end for this was really horrible. One senses that perhaps studio meddling was at work...not wanting the IMF to come off as too unlikable, so they break with their usual MO and spill the beans to the couple who were the primary focus of their scheme at the end, and that couple is very unrealistically perfectly fine with it. Why even let the prince and his wife in on what they did? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the elaborate ruse? She'd gladly go through it again? Really?

Minor side note--It was hard to take Jim's character seriously when they kept calling him Mr. Rogers.

_______

The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
    "The Master's Touch Affair"
    Originally aired October 16, 1967
    Open Channel Danno Ain't Around to Book 'em. Now Jack Lord's the one doing an M:I-quality accent. His character and Nehemiah Persoff's are deadly rivals, apparently in competition to see who can be the most annoying THRUSH leader, with Persoff's character winning by always yelling things in a microphone in his control room, and making us drink every time he says the name of Lord's character, Mandor. Persoff's Annoyingcave includes a THRUSH computer doing what sounds like a male version of the Enterprise computer voice.

Leslie Parrish's character seemed completely superfluous. There was something about her being Mandor's weakness, for whatever that was worth, which didn't seem to amount to much other than being an excuse to have a pretty girl in the story. We get teased with Lisa Rogers being assigned to babysit her, but don't see anything of it.

Illya spends a lot of time in captivity and acting dopey from brainwashing. Kind of like I get from watching too many episodes like this.

_______

The Rat Patrol
    "The Darkest Raid"
    Originally aired October 16, 1967
    Troy makes a most unconvincing Nazi...he speaks English with only the vaguest hint of attempting an accent...basically adopting a more stilted speech pattern while talking in his normal American accent. I make fun of the accents on M:I, but at least those guys are trying! Col. Gerschon (Alfred Ryder) nevertheless praises his performance as "excellent" after he sniffs Troy out.

The title refers to the fact that the Patrol is creating a blackout for their raid, so Troy pretends to be blinded to scope the place out sans eyesight. The Patrol uses flashlights for signaling, but apparently the Germans only have candles.

We get another coda that looks like it was shot on a stage rather than outdoors.

_______

Batman
    "The Unkindest Tut of All"
    Originally aired October 19, 1967
    It proves a little too easy to bug the Batmobile. Where's that Penguin bug-detection tech? Tut retains him memory in the final scene and he and his henchpeople know the location of the Batcave...it seems like they let themselves be convinced by the dummy gag a little too easily. And are Batman and Bruce Wayne really so opposite on the show as the episode tries to tell us?

I may have already said this, but there sure are a lot of crimes at the library this season....Perhaps the best humor moment is Batman pontificating to Robin about how important it is to save a human life after telling the Boy Wonder that the obviously suffering tied-up librarian won't last a minute. Also, this line...

Next week: Flower Power comes to Gotham!

_______

Ironside
    "An Inside Job"
    Whitfield would be Eve, Barbara Anderson's character.

Wait a minute...so Ironside's office/apartment is on the top floor of police HQ? Are the taxpayers footing the bill for that nice loft spread he's got?

Ironside plays it cool as a cucumber even after Eve walks into the situation. He uses being coerced to devise an escape plan for the criminals as cover for enacting his own plan. Of course, he uses the old trick of communicating that something's wrong by conveying false information (via Eve, to Team Ironside member Ed Brown on the phone). By the time he has the escapees walking out disguised as TV repairmen with him and Eve in tow, everyone in the lobby (including Norman Fell's police captain) is in on the situation and ready to move. Ironside's secret weapon was set up in an early scene...the residual electric charge in the picture tube of the TV that one of the crooks is carrying as part of his Ironside-devised cover.

This episode was definitely a refreshing change of pace from the murder mystery of the week.

Sign o' the times: Mark can't check out a library book that Ironside wants, so Ironside orders him to transcribe an entire chapter! Mark's solution of having the chapter photocopied is treated as something novel enough to be unanticipated by the Chief, who's doing it to keep Mark busy so that he doesn't come back and walk into the hostage situation.

_______

TGs2e7.jpg
    "The Philadelphia Story"
    This week we get a parallel collage of Ann & Donald seeing the touristy sites in Philly. Makes sense, they no doubt did the shooting as part of the same East Coast trip.

The basic situation of the episode is that the play proves to be lousy and Donald has to write a bad review of it, which Ann only sees after she's already disheartened by all of the other bad reviews.

"Oh, Donald" count: 8
    "Oh, Daddy" count: 2 (Ann goes straight back to Brewster for comfort rather than New York.)

_______

Tarzan
    "Muguma Curse"
    Originally aired October 20, 1967
    The episode opens with tribal dance footage that I'm pretty sure was used in another episode.

Tarzan not only takes the tribal juju seriously, but I guess the audience is supposed to as well, since we see a glowing tree.

Barbara Luna guests as the young woman, Frankie. Also guesting is Simon Oakland in his second role on the show, scheming to take the diamond mine that he thinks she's sitting on. It turns out in the end that she had a mercury deposit instead.

Tarzan escapes from another cave via an underwater passage. We get some pretty underwater footage, but still no giant clam. :(

Tarzan challenges Oakland's character to a Test of Truth. I think the last time we got a tribal challenge story, it was one of the giant clam episodes! Let's see...snakes...tarantulas...a pit of fire....Some say Simon Oakland will end in fire...some say in a giant clam. It's fire. :(

Even if it doesn't factor into the plot, you'd think they could at least give us a clameo.

Cheeta was briefly in the episode, but Jai wasn't. He was probably off playing with his pal the giant clam.

_______

Star Trek
    "The Doomsday Machine"
    Originally aired October 20, 1967
    Stardate 4202.9

See my post here.

_______

The Prisoner
    "Free for All"
    Originally aired October 20, 1967 (UK)
    No. 2 has a flash mob!

Echoing one of my thoughts, 6 raises the question of who are really prisoners and who are in on the Village scheme.

Ooh, No. 6 has to undergo a truth test...will there be a giant clam?

We finally get an episode that feels a little padded and disappointing to me. It started with the promise of being a send-up of elections, but I wasn't sure what was supposed to be going on in the middle. It seemed like 6 had temporarily succumbed to some brainwashing as part of his interrogation, but then snapped out of it and started ranting and trying to escape. There was potential here to have 6 threatening to become One of Them in the process of trying to get elected, which would have been more intriguing than finding an excuse for an obligatory Rover chase.

And it's becoming a predictable device that any female guest star turns out to be on the inside. I don't suppose we'll be seeing the female No. 2 in her own episode? That would be interesting.

_______

The Avengers
    "Dead Man's Treasure"
    Originally aired October 21, 1967 (UK)
    This episode turned out to be more entertaining than other recent installments thanks to its colorful premise. A contact of Steed's has left secret information in a treasure chest that's the prize in a car race / scavenger hunt, so Steed and Peel join the competition to get to the chest first. Things are complicated by the fact that not only are the enemy agents who killed Steed's contact also in the race, but another party who's willing to use deadly means to win the monetary prize.

Steed gets paired with a pretty girl who has a lot of dead fiances in her past (though that angle doesn't go anywhere), and proves to be a distraction to his driving...
    And I've never been much of a car guy, but the enemy agents are driving a distractingly pretty Jaguar XK-E convertible. :drool:

Another well-delivered Steedism...

Mrs. Peel is tortured for the final clue via a racing simulator that delivers electric shocks for making mistakes. It turns out that she was practically sitting on the treasure, as it was hidden in the simulator.

The coda features a really ridiculous gag about Steed's shaver being used in "reverse" to put a mustache on Emma.

Guests include Ivor Dean (Inspector Teal from The Saint) as the butler of the eccentric millionaire who's running the contest.

_______

Get Smart
    "Maxwell Smart, Private Eye"
    Originally Aired October 21, 1967
    Sources seem to differ as to whether the title is "Private Eye" or "Private Spy". The former makes more sense, as Max actually opens a private eye office, not a spy agency. According to the Wiki entry, this episode won an Emmy Award for Outstanding Directing in a Comedy Series.

This episode spoofs private eye tropes that I primarily know from other spoofs and homages. It kind of sticks out in this situation that Max doesn't use (or know yet?) 99's real name. Max finds himself in a conflict of interest situation, selling his clients information that he only knows from his CONTROL mission. If we were taking things half-seriously, he'd be tried for treason for that sort of thing.

The Chief is back, but the Cone of Silence is gone due to the budget cut, so they use the Closet of Silence.

Some good gags:
    • A passenger gets out of a cab as it passes his stop in the middle of a high-speed chase.
    • Max's first client, a beautiful woman, downs both drinks that Max pours.
    • Max walks through his glass office door in the dark.
    • The Chief turns out to be moonlighting as a janitor in the building that Max's office is in.

What's with 99's gun being partly red? It looks like a squirt gun.

_______

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  14. The Old Mixer

50 Years Ago This Week

Selections from Billboard's Hot 100 for the week:

Leaving the chart:
    • "Groovin'," Booker T. & The MG's
    • "We Love You," The Rolling Stones
    • "Reflections," Diana Ross & The Supremes
    • "I'll Never Fall in Love Again," Tom Jones *
    • "Funky Broadway," Wilson Pickett
    • "Get Together," The Youngbloods *
    * But both of these will be back in a bigger way around the same time in '69.

New on the chart:

"She Is Still a Mystery," The Lovin' Spoonful

(#27 US)

"Glad to Be Unhappy," The Mamas & The Papas

(#26 US)

"By the Time I Get to Phoenix," Glen Campbell

(#26 US; #12 AC; #2 Country; #52 UK; #450 on Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time)

"Skinny Legs and All," Joe Tex

(#10 US; #2 R&B)

"You Better Sit Down Kids," Cher

(#9 US)

And new on the boob tube:
    • Mission: Impossible, "Operation 'Heart'"
    • The Man from U.N.C.L.E., "The THRUSH Roulette Affair"
    • Batman, "Louie, the Lilac"
    • Ironside, "Tagged for Murder"
    • That Girl, "There's Nothing to Be Afreud of But Freud Himself"
    • Tarzan, "The Fanatics"
    • Star Trek, "Catspaw"
    • The Prisoner, "The Schizoid Man"
    • The Avengers, "You Have Just Been Murdered"
    • Get Smart, "Supersonic Boom"
    _______

15. Gingerbread Demon

That Girl was rather fetching... Would people like the show if they aired it now on TV again I wonder. I find some episodes funny.

I do like how the mannequin of her in the window winks back at her. Ann Marie was gorgeous

16. The Old Mixer

It was in and out of MeTV's lineup for years, and Decades has done a few Weekend Binges of it, but not recently.

17. RJDiogenes

"Mother, father... I know you had high hopes of me marrying the Duke of Chichester and raising a large family, but I've decided to move to America and become a foot juggler on The Ed Sullivan Show." Some good stuff on Ed this week, including a really nice Muppets bit about changing the character's face around. Also, Ed was more engaged with his guests than usual, even participating in a dance routine where an elderly dancer somersaults over his back. Next week looks really good-- I think I set just about every episode to record.

One interesting thing I've noticed when The Lovin' Spoonful appears is that the audience reaction rivals that of acts of the Stones and Elvis.

Maybe his rent helps offset budget cuts. Sweet spot, either way.

Damn it!

He could have provided some much needed mussel.

That actually sounds a little ominous. :rommie:

They're not all classics. More on that when you've finished the whole series. :rommie:

Yeah, that's completely ridiculous. Steed doesn't have a mustache.

Very nice, but not their best.

I'm not sure if I've ever heard this. Kind of low key, but pretty good.

Definitely a classic, and one of those songs that really marks the era for me (although not exactly a time travel song, like "Massachusetts" or "Something").

This one always cracked me up, mainly because I had a couple of pretty skinny legs myself (and arms and everything else).

This is a fantastic song. Sonny & Cher did some really nice stuff, and this is one of their best.

18. The Old Mixer

He does that sort of thing a lot, if you're catching the right episodes. e.g., Victor the Bear.

I have to apologize to everyone for my part in setting this up.

Interesting...so you don't disagree with my assessment of this one? The first three episodes had set such a high bar that I was afraid that maybe I was missing something.

For the record, I have all of this week's selected chart entries. I also just went and bought "Pata Pata," which enters the Top 40 this week.

This song resonates with a situation I was in when I wasn't as old of a mixer.

Definitely a very striking song. Our strongest entry this week, IMO, though not the most successful on the Hot 100 chart.

What about the raggedy clothes? This one, to me, is a signal of late-'60s/early-70's-style soul coming in...a distinctively strong era in the genre.

You like this one more than I, though perhaps it will grow on me with the regular playlist listening, as many songs that I was less familiar with have. Some, OTOH, I find myself getting tired of fast (e.g., the Bobby Vee song).

_______

51st Anniversary Viewing

_______

The Monkees
    "Success Story"
    Originally aired October 17, 1966
    They're back! Though as 51st anniversary viewing, for a limited time only before I hit the hunk of episodes that Antenna skipped.

What, is Davy supposed to be a minor that his grandfather can make him go back to England?

"Shades of Gray"

Anyway, after a lot of tomfoolery, Davy's old, old man comes to his senses and lets the lad stay in America even though he's not all rich and succeessful and stuff...

"Sweet Young Thing"

...because he's not, right...?

Antenna just got into Season 2 episodes today...since they're looking to catch up with the 50th anniversary point sometime next month (assuming they run consecutive episodes from this point), and since I'm otherwise caught up in my viewing, I think I'll play catch-up with the Season 2 episodes as they become available. More on that when I've had a chance to watch the first two.

_______

The Rat Patrol
    "The Do or Die Raid"
    Originally aired October 17, 1966
    Of course there's something shady about the guy, he's being played by Warren Stevens! Actually he has a heart condition that hinders both his ability do the job and the Patrol's getaway. But they nevertheless manage to get the job done and extract themselves without being discovered, which is vital to the mission.

Stealthing in by sea in commando outfits just seems a little too far out of the Patrol's wheelhouse.
    _______

TGs1e7.jpg
    "Help Wanted"
    Originally aired October 20, 1966
    Well, I discovered a glitch in my JavaScript-blocking solution. Last time, I'd disabled it mid-episode and it worked fine. But it seems that I have to have it enabled in order to start the episode, then have to go in and block it while the episode is in progress. Which on an every-episode basis is gonna be a pain in the ass.

This episode goes pretty much as one might expect based on the premise. Don was hoping that Jerry Bauman, with whom he shares his secretary, would nix the idea, but Jerry had no problem working with Ann...it was all about worlds colliding. It ends on a sweet note for Ann and Donald's relationship, though, as Don dictates a memo about how crazy he is for Ann and how that distracts him from his work.

"Oh, Donald" count: 2

_______

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  19. RJDiogenes

I did not see Victor the Bear.

:rommie:

It's been ages since I've seen the show, and I don't really remember that one at all. But I definitely remember not all of them hit the mark. The Prisoner is one of those things that needs to be considered as a whole, rather than good episodes versus bad episodes-- although there are definitely a couple of standouts.

Oh, yeah. I was a poor city kid. :rommie:

Maybe he controls an inheritance. Or maybe Davy just feels obligated. Or maybe it was necessary for the plot. :rommie:

They were probably getting bored.

20. The Old Mixer

But's it's only the sixth episode of the series!

I forgot to note above that these will be the last entries by both the Lovin' Spoonful and the Mamas & the Papas that we'll be seeing here...both have some charting singles left in them, but none that even made the Top 40. And while Cher, with and without Sonny, has plenty more hit singles ahead of her, the next won't be coming up for four years.