The Classic/Retro Pop Culture Thread

He's designed a new Kooky Kastle ride that's bigger on the inside. Riders come out three hours later in a catatonic state.
:D

I fail to follow Greg's logic. :rommie:
He had to get backstage to find her.

Actually this sounds like it might be the best vacation episode they've done. Short and punchy. I like the relay race sequence. The only thing it's missing is Jim Backus. :rommie:
Or Vincent Price.

I wonder if Peter was based on Peter Max.
Could be.

Cool. It's unusual to see her guest starring anywhere.
Love, love, Lovey!
LAS12.jpg

That was cute until the disturbing Twilight Zone ending. :rommie:
It was mainly a showcase for Smith acting all awkward and dorky.

But if given the opportunity....
Chin might be interested...he could use more to do these days.

50 Years Ago This Week

December 2
  • A team of military engineers from the 12th Vietcong Sapper Regiment destroyed the largest oil storage facility in South Vietnam with an attack on the Shell Oil Company's tanks at Nha Be.

December 3
  • Pioneer 10 sent back the first close-up images of Jupiter, making its closest approach of 82,178 miles (132,253 km). Images were received at NASA Ames Research Center in California at 6:25 in the evening (0125 4 December UTC). Boosted by Jupiter's gravity to a speed of 82,000 miles per hour (132,000 km/h)—the highest speed ever attained by an object sent from Earth—the small probe began moving away from Jupiter three hours later toward the constellation Taurus.
  • Died: Count Fleet, 33, U.S. champion racehorse who won the Triple Crown (Kentucky Derby, Preakness Stakes and Belmont Stakes) in 1943

December 4
  • The MGM Grand Hotel, with 2,100 rooms and one of the world's largest hotels at the time, quietly opened in Las Vegas. A celebrity-studded grand opening was held the next day.

December 6
  • The U.S. House of Representatives voted, 387 to 35, to confirm U.S. Representative Gerald Ford of Michigan as the 40th Vice President of the United States, after the U.S. Senate had approved the nomination, 92 to 3, on November 27. Ford was sworn in later in the day. Ford became the first vice president to be confirmed under the 25th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. Afterward, in speech to the joint session of Congress, the new vice president invoked the names of two related automobile lines by joking, "I'm a Ford, not a Lincoln."
  • Victor E. Samuelson, an executive for the energy producing Exxon Corporation, was kidnapped in Argentina by the terrorist Ejército Revolucionario del Pueblo (ERP, the Revolutionary Army of the People). A group of seven ERP guerrillas took him from the Esso Argentina refinery at Campana, near Buenos Aires, where Samuelson was the refinery manager. Samuelson would be held hostage for 144 days, until April 29, 1974, before being released on Exxon's payment of a then-record kidnap ransom of $14,200,000, equivalent to almost $95 million in 2023.

December 7
  • With the elimination of the U.S. Coast Guard Women's Reserve, the United States Coast Guard accepted its first regular enlisted women. Chief Warrant Officer Alice T. Jefferson was commissioned as the first woman to be a regular USCG officer, and Yeoman First Class Wanda May Parr and Yeoman Second Class Margaret A. Blackman as the first female enlistees.
  • Convicted child murderer Lester Eubanks escaped from the Ohio Penitentiary after being allowed a temporary, unsupervised furlough to go Christmas shopping, and would elude searchers for more than 49 years afterward. As of the end of 2022, Eubanks would still be on the U.S. Marshals "15 Most Wanted Fugitives" list.

December 8
  • At 12:01 a.m., the maximum speed limit on motorways in the United Kingdom was reduced from 70 miles per hour (110 km/h) to 50 miles per hour (80 km/h) by the government, three days after being authorized by Parliament, as a measure to conserve oil to last until at least April 8, 1974. "Although no signs will be altered," a government press release stated, "police will not regard ignorance of the new law as an excuse."
  • Following the revelation that U.S. President Richard Nixon had paid only a few hundred dollars of federal income taxes in 1970 and 1971, Nixon offered at a press conference to let a Congressional committee review all of his tax returns and said that he would pay back taxes and interest if any of his claimed deductions were improper. Nixon also allowed reporters to inspect his tax returns filed by him as president for the years 1969 through 1972, on the condition that the copies could not be taken out of the White House.

Selections from Billboard's Hot 100 for the week:
1. "Top of the World," Carpenters
2. "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road," Elton John
3. "The Most Beautiful Girl," Charlie Rich
4. "Just You 'n' Me," Chicago
5. "Photograph," Ringo Starr
6. "Space Race," Billy Preston
7. "The Love I Lost (Pt. 1)," Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes
8. "Hello It's Me," Todd Rundgren
9. "Keep On Truckin'," Eddie Kendricks
10. "Leave Me Alone (Ruby Red Dress)," Helen Reddy
11. "Midnight Train to Georgia," Gladys Knight & The Pips
12. "If You're Ready (Come Go with Me)," The Staple Singers
13. "Time in a Bottle," Jim Croce
14. "Heartbeat, It's a Lovebeat," The DeFranco Family feat. Tony DeFranco
15. "The Joker," Steve Miller Band
16. "Never, Never Gonna Give Ya Up," Barry White
17. "Let Me Serenade You," Three Dog Night
18. "Paper Roses," Marie Osmond
19. "My Music," Loggins & Messina
20. "Rockin' Roll Baby," The Stylistics
21. "I Got a Name," Jim Croce
22. "Come Get to This," Marvin Gaye
23. "Living for the City," Stevie Wonder
24. "Mind Games," John Lennon
25. "Cheaper to Keep Her," Johnnie Taylor
26. "Angie," The Rolling Stones
27. "Show and Tell," Al Wilson
28. "You're a Special Part of Me," Diana Ross & Marvin Gaye

30. "D'yer Mak'er," Led Zeppelin
31. "Helen Wheels," Paul McCartney & Wings
32. "All I Know," Art Garfunkel
33. "Smokin' in the Boys Room," Brownsville Station
34. "Why Me," Kris Kristofferson
35. "I've Got to Use My Imagination," Gladys Knight & The Pips

37. "Knockin' on Heaven's Door," Bob Dylan
38. "Me and Baby Brother," War

41. "Nutbush City Limits," Ike & Tina Turner
42. "Half-Breed," Cher

44. "Let Me Be There," Olivia Newton-John
45. "Until You Come Back to Me (That's What I'm Gonna Do)," Aretha Franklin

51. "Ramblin' Man," The Allman Brothers Band

61. "Spiders & Snakes," Jim Stafford

63. "Dream On," Aerosmith
64. "Walk Like a Man (You Can Call Me Your Man)," Grand Funk
65. "Sister Mary Elephant (Shudd-Up!)," Cheech & Chong

72. "American Tune," Paul Simon
73. "The Way We Were," Barbra Streisand

79. "Love's Theme," Love Unlimited Orchestra
80. "Rock On," David Essex

84. "Baby Come Close," Smokey Robinson
85. "Livin' for You," Al Green

91. "Love Reign O'er Me," The Who

97. "I Love," Tom T. Hall

99. "I Like to Live the Love," B.B. King
100. "Jungle Boogie," Kool & The Gang

Leaving the chart:
  • "Frisky," Sly & The Family Stone (2 weeks)
  • "Yes We Can Can," The Pointer Sisters (16 weeks)

Recent and new on the chart:

"Frisky," Sly & The Family Stone
(Nov. 24; #79 US; #28 R&B)

"I Love," Tom T. Hall
(#12 US; #2 AC; #1 Country)

"Jungle Boogie," Kool & The Gang
(#4 US; #2 R&B; #51 UK)

And new on the boob tube:
  • Hawaii Five-O, "Try to Die on Time"
  • Adam-12, "Northwest Division"
  • Kung Fu, "The Salamander"
  • Ironside, "The Double-Edged Corner" (currently unavailable)
  • The Brady Bunch, "The Elopement"
  • The Odd Couple, "The Exorcists"
  • Love, American Style, "Love and the Awkward Age / Love and the Generation Gasp / Love and the Spendthrift"
  • Super Friends, "Gulliver's Gigantic Goof"
  • All in the Family, "The Taxi Caper"
  • M*A*S*H, "Deal Me Out"
  • Emergency!, "Body Language"
  • The Mary Tyler Moore Show, "I Gave at the Office"
  • The Bob Newhart Show, "My Wife Belongs to Daddy"

_______

Timeline entries are quoted from the Wiki page for the month.

_______

Last edited:
Pioneer 10 sent back the first close-up images of Jupiter
Sadly, no evidence of a Monolith was seen-- or was there?

Afterward, in speech to the joint session of Congress, the new vice president invoked the names of two related automobile lines by joking, "I'm a Ford, not a Lincoln."
Yeah, a Ford Motel T versus a Lincoln Continental. :rommie:

Convicted child murderer Lester Eubanks escaped from the Ohio Penitentiary after being allowed a temporary, unsupervised furlough to go Christmas shopping
What the hell?

and would elude searchers for more than 49 years afterward. As of the end of 2022, Eubanks would still be on the U.S. Marshals "15 Most Wanted Fugitives" list.
What the hell!

the maximum speed limit on motorways in the United Kingdom was reduced from 70 miles per hour (110 km/h) to 50 miles per hour (80 km/h) by the government, three days after being authorized by Parliament, as a measure to conserve oil
Probably also saved a life or two.

Following the revelation that U.S. President Richard Nixon had paid only a few hundred dollars of federal income taxes in 1970 and 1971, Nixon offered at a press conference to let a Congressional committee review all of his tax returns and said that he would pay back taxes and interest if any of his claimed deductions were improper. Nixon also allowed reporters to inspect his tax returns filed by him as president for the years 1969 through 1972, on the condition that the copies could not be taken out of the White House.
I wonder how all that worked out. :rommie:

"Frisky," Sly & The Family Stone
I don't remember this one. It does have that early 70s sound.

"I Love," Tom T. Hall
Ah, I do remember this one. Cute. I wonder if that good mood was chemically induced. :rommie:

"Jungle Boogie," Kool & The Gang
Also kinda sounds like the 70s, but is otherwise forgettable.

_______

50th Anniversary Viewing (Part 3)

_______

Super Friends
"The Menace of the White Dwarf"
Originally aired November 24, 1973
iTunes said:
A strange UFO penetrates Earth's airspace. Along its flight path, it has managed to "pull up" and carry along a number of objects. Col. Wilcox explains to the Super Friends that the UFO snatched up a total of fourteen thousand tons. Superman soon learns that his old arch enemy, the Raven, is behind these strange occurrences.

Raven is not, to my knowledge, a character from the comics...though alien foes were a dime a dozen in the Bronze Age Superman continuity.

Objects that the spacecraft causes to disappear include a locomotive engine, a building under demolition, Wendy and Marvin's tandem bicycle, and four pickup trucks. For some reason, the Super Friends come to the conclusion that the gravitational pull of a white dwarf is responsible, with Aquaman explaining to the JSF and the audience what a white dwarf is. After triangulating from the locations of the stolen objects, the Dynamic Duo and JSF find the location that the objects have been transported to...where Wonder Dog comes upon a ring in a balloon bearing an insignia that Batman recognizes as that of the Raven (Casey), an alien villain whom Superman captured, following which he was sentenced by a member of his own race, but incarcerated in a special prison on Earth. The ring transmits a taunting message for Superman. The Super Friends go to the prison to find Raven's cell occupied by a robot facsimile. While they're pursuing it out of the prison, the prison itself is transported. Superman and Wonder Woman chase after it, but Raven's spacecraft emits "anti-photons" (which look like shards of glass), blocking Superman's X-ray Vision.

The Super Friends respond to a distress call from the USS Narwhal, a sub that's being pulled by a mysterious force toward shoals off Cape Hatteras. Aquaman uses seaweed to team with a pair of blue whales in pulling the sub out of danger. As Superman and Wonder Woman approach Raven's craft, the villain directs gravitational energy at them, which knocks Wonder Woman out, forcing the Man of Steel to rescue her, which includes taking the controls of the Transparent Plane.

At the Hall of Justice, Marvin posts Ravens flight paths and finds a point of intersection. Going to check it out, the JSF find a family of hillbillies, the Martingales--Paw (Alden), Mace (Casey), and Vinnie (Soule). Paw relates how Raven's been pestering him for a "sky stone" that fell on his farm when he was younger...which had the side effect of providing him with a bumper crop of mushrooms. As the kids are friends of Superman and company, Paw lets the JSF take the stone back to the Hall of Justice, where it's discovered to be Kryptonite. A brief flashback of the sorta destruction of Krypton ensues...it's depicted as the planet hurling Kryptonite into space via volcanic activity, without showing the planet actually blowing up. The Super Friends deduce that the rock carried Kryptonian mushroom spores, and that the mushrooms are canceling out the gravitational effects of Raven's white dwarf, hence his inability to just take the cabin, Kryptonite and all.

While the Super Friends address the National Strategy Council in Washington, Raven transmits to the JSF via his ring, threatening to abduct an unspecified building at 5:00. The JSF immediately fly to Washington to alert the Super Friends...because the Super Friends don't have communication devices, or access to phones. After Wonder Dog chases a cat into the Washington Monument, Raven sends the spire rocketing up to his secret hideout,..an island in the sky, where he's keeping some of the structures he's abducted. Superman goes to the farm to gather mushroom spores in an envelope, then uses the ring to offer to bring the Kryptonite to Raven...who's been demonstrating to the JSF how he uses a white dwarf fragment the size of a marble to move large objects. Superman proceeds to the sky island, where he surreptitiously scatters the spores on the ground, and Raven opens the lead box to find that the Kryptonite is genuine.

Raven puts Superman on trial, with himself as the judge and prosecutor, and a jury of twelve robot doubles. Wendy and Marvin argue in Superman's defense, but the jury is stacked against him. Superman agrees to stay on the island, with Raven threatening to imprison the Man of Steel in his old cell in the abducted prison, while Raven sends the JSF back to Earth. As the mushrooms grow, the island begins to sink from the sky. A panicky Raven agrees to toss the Kryptonite over so that Superman can save the island. After putting Raven back in his old cell, Superman flies the white dwarf fragment (now larger and emitting green radiation like Kryptonite) into space and tosses it into the Sun.

_______

Star Trek
"The Time Trap"
Wiki said:
While exploring the Delta Triangle, where many starships have disappeared, the USS Enterprise is attacked by several Klingon vessels. During the battle, they are caught in an ion storm. The Enterprise and one Klingon battlecruiser are drawn into a spacetime vortex and end up in a timeless dimension.

Captain's log, stardate 52.2 [That's what he said!]: We have just entered the Delta Triangle, a vast, uninhabited sector of our galaxy in which a high number of mysterious disappearances of starships have been recorded since ancient times. The Enterprise has been assigned the mission of surveying this area and, if possible, determining the cause of these disappearances.

A monochrome fireworks display outside the ship interferes with sensors, and the ship is attacked by a Klingon battlecruiser commanded by Kor (you-know-who filling in for John Colicos). When the Enterprise returns phaser fire, the Klingon ship's shields absorb the fire, but it disappears in a way that isn't consistent with a cloaking device. Two more Klingon ships approach, with Klingon commander Kuri (Takei; the animation being a reuse of that for Koloth) demanding an explanation for the disappearance of the Klothos and attacking the Enterprise as, at Kirk's order, it heads for the exact spot where the Klothos vanished. The Enterprise then disappears in the same way, with the crew onboard experiencing weakness for the transition.

Captain's log, supplemental; First Officer Spock recording: We appear to be in an alternate universe, position: undetermined. Captain Kirk has been transported from the ship by an unknown power. His present location also is undetermined.

Kirk is brought before the Ruling Council of Elysia, a makeshift civilization comprising 123 races and over 1,000 years old; which includes Romulan leader Xerius (his race not clarified in the episode, at least that I caught, though I verified it via Memory Alpha), a Klingon, an Andorian, a Tellarite, a Gorn, a Vulcan, a plant guy from the Giant Spock episode, and Devna (Nichols), the Council's interpreter of laws, an Orion woman who describes their locale as a pocket in the garment of time and explains their strict peace-enforcing laws. Xerius explains that they're original crew members of their trapped ships, as time passes very slowly there. Kirk wants to get out, but Scotty indicates there's only a narrow window for action, as the dilithium crystals are deteriorating rapidly. (What's new, Scotty?) The Klingons also plot an escape, and the Council monitors both ships' efforts via a psionic named Magen (also Nichols). After an unsuccessful attempt by the Klothos to break out, Spock comes up with a formula that involves connecting the Enterprise to the Klothos to function as a single ship. In a face-to-face meeting on the Klothos, the Klingons agree to the plan, but Kor plots afterward to arrange for the Enterprise to be destroyed following their escape.

Captain's log, stardate 5267.6: We are in final stage preparatory to making our escape from Elysia. We must make our escape by tomorrow, or our dilithium crystals will be too depleted and we will be trapped here forever.

After Security Officer Gabler catches a pair of Klingons poking around near the dilithium vault, Spock brushes it off and, repeating an out-of-character bit of business from the Klingon ship, acts palsy toward the Klingons. When questioned by Kirk in private, Spock explains that he was using physical contact to telepathically glean vague indications of the Klingons' plan...which we learn about at the beginning of our climactic clip:

I'm somewhat surprised that they did a bikini-clad Orion woman on a Saturday morning show. Back in the day, I recall Spidey Super Stories and the special Teen Titans drug issues in the '80s altering the costumes of female characters like Storm, Shanna, and Starfire to show less skin, particularly covering up their midriffs.

It's said at one point before they enter the pocket dimension that a transmission to Starfleet will take three weeks to reach the nearest Starbase...that's how I like my Trek! None of that real-time connectedness to Mommy and Daddy that caters to kids who couldn't imagine living without it.

IMDb says that this is the last time we see Original Recipe Klingons before their dramatic makeover in TMP.

_______

Emergency!
"Zero"
IMDb said:
When the paramedics are interviewed on a TV program, Johnny freezes in front of the camera and Roy must bail him out. A young boy attempts suicide by leaping off an apartment ledge; at the hospital, the doctors suspect he may be an abused child.

The episode opens with the paramedics responding to a call about a screaming woman at a construction site (no chicken jokes, it's Jo Anne Worley). It turns out that she's just engaging in a form of therapy, and has the foreman's permission to be there before work starts. (So paramedics aren't needed for girls lying in the street after being hit by a car, but they're sent to investigate screaming women? Seems like that would be a job for Adam-12.)

At the station, the crew gathers around the TV to watch Roy and Johnny appearing on a taped local talk show (hosted by an uncredited Dick Enberg). Johnny freezes up on camera and stammers incoherently at every question. An embarrassed live Johnny is saved by the alarm as the squad is called to a child on an apartment building ledge. The paramedics climb Engine 85's ladder up to the ledge, where Roy tries to engage the silent boy, Tommy Mannering (Bobby Eilbacher), whose face looks battered...eventually catching him as he jumps! On the ground, they examine the still-unresponsive boy and he's taken to Rampart, where Brackett examines him and asks the paramedics some questions about his behavior on the scene.

The boy's mother, Vera Mannering (Mariette Hartley's getting around these days), arrives at Rampart for firm, gentle questioning in Brackett's office. She gives the usual excuse about Tommy being prone to clumsiness, and acts genuinely shocked when informed that he jumped. Tommy proves to be more responsive to Early, who has some experience in pediatrics, and the story he gets out of the boy doesn't match the one from his mother. Mrs. Mannering gets uptight when she's confronted with this; and when she goes in to see Tommy, he cowers from her.

On the street, the squad is flagged down by a woman outside of a donut shop whose adult son is inside with his tie and sleeve caught in a mixing machine. Roy cuts both off to free him while Johnny looks for a shut-off panel as a precaution.

Back at Rampart, Tommy shows signs of recovering, drinking chocolate milk and playing with Lincoln Logs; and is more enthusiastic about a visit from his previously out-of-town father, Jake (Robert Conrad's old boss from the islands, Anthony Eisley). Mr. Mannering is outraged at what the doctors suggest and wants to take Tommy out, though they produce a security guard and insist on keeping Tommy in protective custody. When the Mannering parents are alone with the doctors, Jake's denial that Vera could be capable of such a reprehensible act sparks a reaction from her that makes him realize that it's true. Early expresses his understanding that parents who do such things need help, and recommends Parents Anonymous. Vera is allowed to make an apologetic visit to Tommy.

Back at the station, the other firefighters rib Johnny about his performance on the show. Later the station and other units are called to a fire at a waterfront industrial building where some boys had been playing with matches. The firefighters search the structure for a boy who's still inside. The paramedics find him down a shaft and pull him out while the firefighters axe a partition to get to the fire behind it. Outside, Johnny freezes up again when questioned by a TV reporter on camera, and as on the show, Roy does all the talking.

_______

The Mary Tyler Moore Show
"Just Friends"
Wiki said:
When a depressed Lou starts having dinner at Mary's every night, she quickly decides to reconcile him with Edie.

This episode was directed by Nancy Walker.

Mary's nursemaiding Lou while he's taking his separation from Edie hard...which includes making his breakfast at work and doing his laundry. What's more, he gets in the habit of dropping by Mary's place every night for dinner. Lou asks Mary to spy on Edie to see how she's getting on...and while Mary doesn't want to be in the middle, he guilts her into it. When she visits Edie, Mary's recruited to ask Lou to come over for dinner, but Ted and Murray pop by Edie's place and threaten to spoil things with Ted's off-the-mark attempts to intervene in the Grant/McKenzie marital situation.

Lou interrogates Mary the next day for details about how Edie's living before Mary finally gets out the dinner invitation. Taking the date seriously, Lou grooms himself and resorts to borrowing aftershave from Ted. Lou arrives at Edie's and scopes the place out, but when she rebuffs his attempt to get back to marriage as usual and instead expresses an interest in trying to just be friends with him, he gets aggressive about not being willing to settle for that. When the others ask him how things went the next day, he indicates that it was pretty much like it was when they were dysfunctionally married, the evening having ended with her going to bed and him going out to a bar.

_______

The Bob Newhart Show
"Fit, Fat and Forty-One"
Wiki said:
Bob goes on a diet, determined to keep his resolution to lose weight before his forty-first birthday.

Bob has a physical and learns that he's eight pounds overweight, with Dr. Klein (Bruce Kirby) indicating that each pound is a year off his life, then giving him an overwhelming series of charts, counters, and instructions. Bob immediately goes on a diet and starts watching his weight, expecting instant results, which motivates him to attend an exercise class with Jerry, which is taught by a Germanic woman named Olga (Lilyan Chauvin). Meanwhile, Bob is apprehensive that Emily and Howard are planning a surprise party--DRINK!

At the office, Bob cheats when he has the opportunity to take a liverwurst and Swiss cheese sandwich from an elevator repairman (Robert Ridgely) who's lunching with his partner (Ron Glass). At home, Emily insists that she's only planned a small party with a few friends, and Bob's resolve is tested by the food she's making for the company that he's not allowed to have. Bob admits that he's been cheating, the sandwich having led to a snacking binge. Emily tries to motivate him by showing him his present early--a (plaid) suit that he's been looking at, but with a waistline a couple sizes smaller than his current one. Howard shows up for the party with a weight-loss belt that he bought in Tokyo. Carol arrives with Jerry, bearing a cake made from healthy but unappetizing-sounding ingredients and a diet book, respectively. When Bob gets up to go to the bathroom, he finds that it is a surprise party, a dozen more gift-bearing guests having been waiting in the corridor (including the doctor and his nurse [Samantha Harper]).

In the coda, Bob's lost ten pounds and is fitting into the slacks of his new suit.

_______

Sadly, no evidence of a Monolith was seen-- or was there?
We'll have to wait until '79 to see if we're in the novelverse.

What the hell?
What the hell!
Exactly why I posted it.

I don't remember this one. It does have that early 70s sound.
This one's been in my playlist for a while as an album track. While the current work pales before Sly & the Family's late '60s peak, I do prefer the sound of the tracks I have from Fresh to that of There's a Riot Goin' On.

Ah, I do remember this one. Cute. I wonder if that good mood was chemically induced. :rommie:
For me, this week's "Can't say I ever heard this before in my life" surprise entry.

Also kinda sounds like the 70s, but is otherwise forgettable.
Easily the most memorable of this week's entries for me! Get down, get down...get down, get down... I should note that Kool & the Gang have been lurking around on the single and album charts since '69, so it's like the other shoe dropping that they're finally breaking out.

Last edited:
"Frisky," Sly & The Family Stone (Nov. 24; #79 US; #28 R&B) "I Love," Tom T. Hall (#12 US; #2 AC; #1 Country) "Jungle Boogie," Kool & The Gang (#4 US; #2 R&B; #51 UK)

Well, of the three, the only one that I remember clearly is Kool and the Gang and 'Jungle Boogie'. I'm actually kinda surprised that the song is that old. I remember hearing it on the radio well into the early eighties.

Objects that the spacecraft causes to disappear include a locomotive engine, a building under demolition, Wendy and Marvin's tandem bicycle, and four pickup trucks.
He should call himself the Hoarder. :rommie:

with Aquaman explaining to the JSF and the audience what a white dwarf is.
Something the real Aquaman would not know!

an alien villain whom Superman captured, following which he was sentenced by a member of his own race, but incarcerated in a special prison on Earth.
So this is all new, not from a previous episode or anything?

forcing the Man of Steel to rescue her, which includes taking the controls of the Transparent Plane.
Are men allowed to touch the controls of an Amazonian plane? :rommie:

A brief flashback of the sorta destruction of Krypton ensues...it's depicted as the planet hurling Kryptonite into space via volcanic activity, without showing the planet actually blowing up.
Too violent for Saturday morning, I guess.

The Super Friends deduce that the rock carried Kryptonian mushroom spores
Kryptonian mushroom spores are a fascinating idea-- they'd probably get you super high-- but wouldn't the Kryptonite weaken and kill them?

The JSF immediately fly to Washington to alert the Super Friends...because the Super Friends don't have communication devices, or access to phones.
I think they've had this trouble before. :rommie:

who's been demonstrating to the JSF how he uses a white dwarf fragment the size of a marble to move large objects.
Oh, man. I have no idea how much mass a marble-sized white dwarf fragment would have-- maybe a mountain range or so? But I doubt it would have enough gravity to move objects around, even if the gravitational field weren't equal in all directions. It would probably give off enough radiation to fry a city, though, at least in the fraction of a second before it ballooned up to its normal size and crushed everything. Also, mushrooms would not affect it.

Raven puts Superman on trial, with himself as the judge and prosecutor, and a jury of twelve robot doubles.
What jurisdiction are we in here? :rommie:

Wendy and Marvin argue in Superman's defense, but the jury is stacked against him.
And where's Batman? He's the guy you want to be your lawyer.

while Raven sends the JSF back to Earth.
At least he's not taking his grudge out on the kids.

the white dwarf fragment (now larger and emitting green radiation like Kryptonite)
Maybe the writers realized that it couldn't hold itself together.

Captain's log, stardate 52.2 [That's what he said!]:
I wonder if this is a goof or meant to indicate the temporal anomaly.

Kirk is brought before the Ruling Council of Elysia, a makeshift civilization comprising 123 races and over 1,000 years old
Too bad they didn't have time to develop this idea.

Xerius explains that they're original crew members of their trapped ships, as time passes very slowly there.
So some of them are conscious of being thousands of years old, or centuries or whatever? Another interesting idea. Too bad we barely see what's going on there.

Spock brushes it off and, repeating an out-of-character bit of business from the Klingon ship, acts palsy toward the Klingons.
They're old drinking buddies. :rommie:

I'm somewhat surprised that they did a bikini-clad Orion woman on a Saturday morning show. Back in the day, I recall Spidey Super Stories and the special Teen Titans drug issues in the '80s altering the costumes of female characters like Storm, Shanna, and Starfire to show less skin, particularly covering up their midriffs.
Well, this was a more liberal time. Weren't those books in the days of the Moral Majority and such?

It's said at one point before they enter the pocket dimension that a transmission to Starfleet will take three weeks to reach the nearest Starbase...that's how I like my Trek! None of that real-time connectedness to Mommy and Daddy that caters to kids who couldn't imagine living without it.
Yeah, I liked it when they were out on the frontier.

(So paramedics aren't needed for girls lying in the street after being hit by a car, but they're sent to investigate screaming women? Seems like that would be a job for Adam-12.)
That would definitely be a police call. Screaming is an indicator of violence in progress.

the squad is called to a child on an apartment building ledge.
A jumper seems more like a police call as well.

Roy tries to engage the silent boy, Tommy Mannering (Bobby Eilbacher), whose face looks battered...eventually catching him as he jumps!
Whoa!

When the Mannering parents are alone with the doctors, Jake's denial that Vera could be capable of such a reprehensible act sparks a reaction from her that makes him realize that it's true.
Ouch. That sounds like a rough moment.

Outside, Johnny freezes up again when questioned by a TV reporter on camera, and as on the show, Roy does all the talking.
Well, that wasn't much of a subplot. I expected Roy to suggest joining Toastmasters or something. :rommie:

This episode was directed by Nancy Walker.
Well, that's interesting. I wonder how often she did that.

making his breakfast at work and doing his laundry. What's more, he gets in the habit of dropping by Mary's place every night for dinner.
Such a pushover. :rommie:

Taking the date seriously, Lou grooms himself and resorts to borrowing aftershave from Ted.
Poor Lou. He's a real softie at heart.

When the others ask him how things went the next day, he indicates that it was pretty much like it was when they were dysfunctionally married, the evening having ended with her going to bed and him going out to a bar.
Well, that was a pretty depressing episode.

Bob has a physical and learns that he's eight pounds overweight
And that's in 1973 pounds.

Bob is apprehensive that Emily and Howard are planning a surprise party--DRINK!
Every sitcom has to have at least one unwanted surprise party. :rommie:

Bob cheats when he has the opportunity to take a liverwurst and Swiss cheese sandwich
For me, liverwurst would be a dietary aid-- it would take my appetite right away. :rommie:

his partner (Ron Glass)
Detective Harris again.

In the coda, Bob's lost ten pounds and is fitting into the slacks of his new suit.
Hah! Emily exchanged it. :rommie:

We'll have to wait until '79 to see if we're in the novelverse.
We are! I know we are!

Exactly why I posted it.
Yeah, that was seriously weird and disturbing.

For me, this week's "Can't say I ever heard this before in my life" surprise entry.
It has to be decades since I heard it. I don't think it was ever even on Lost 45s let alone regular radio.

Well, of the three, the only one that I remember clearly is Kool and the Gang and 'Jungle Boogie'. I'm actually kinda surprised that the song is that old. I remember hearing it on the radio well into the early eighties.
I'm sure I must have heard it on the radio, but my brain associates it with Time-Life.

So this is all new, not from a previous episode or anything?
You've "seen" the entire series to date vicariously.

Are men allowed to touch the controls of an Amazonian plane? :rommie:
I was thinking the same thing.

Oh, man. I have no idea how much mass a marble-sized white dwarf fragment would have-- maybe a mountain range or so? But I doubt it would have enough gravity to move objects around, even if the gravitational field weren't equal in all directions. It would probably give off enough radiation to fry a city, though, at least in the fraction of a second before it ballooned up to its normal size and crushed everything. Also, mushrooms would not affect it.
Interesting thing about all the white dwarf business is that while he never comes up, the Silver Age Atom got his powers from white dwarf material that he made his costume from. Would've been a perfect excuse for a guest appearance.

What jurisdiction are we in here? :rommie:
Evil Underground Cloud Lair. I cite the precedent of Loveless v. West.

And where's Batman? He's the guy you want to be your lawyer.
He could study his father's old law books...even though his father was a doctor!

I wonder if this is a goof or meant to indicate the temporal anomaly.
Goof. It was the opening line of the episode, before they entered the Delta Triangle.

Too bad they didn't have time to develop this idea.
Yeah, the concept seemed underbaked, like something that could have used TOS's hour-long format; but it was refreshing that the civilization that was trying to assimilate the newcomers didn't try to stop them from finding a way out.

Well, this was a more liberal time. Weren't those books in the days of the Moral Majority and such?
The Spidey comic is just around the corner, starting in 1974.

A jumper seems more like a police call as well.
"Bring a really big ladder, Mac!"

Well, that wasn't much of a subplot. I expected Roy to suggest joining Toastmasters or something. :rommie:
Had to look that up. Interesting.

Well, that's interesting. I wonder how often she did that.
I've looked it up on IMDb, and will leave you in suspense.

For me, liverwurst would be a dietary aid-- it would take my appetite right away. :rommie:
I don't know if I've ever had it.

Detective Harris again.
Book 'em, Harris!

Yeah, that was seriously weird and disturbing.
"What could possibly go wrong?"

You've "seen" the entire series to date vicariously.
That's kind of what I thought, but I wasn't sure about connections to previous shows or whatever.

Interesting thing about all the white dwarf business is that while he never comes up, the Silver Age Atom got his powers from white dwarf material that he made his costume from. Would've been a perfect excuse for a guest appearance.
I had never heard that before. The laws of physics sure are different in the superheroverse. :rommie:

Evil Underground Cloud Lair. I cite the precedent of Loveless v. West.
Home Court Advantage. :D

He could study his father's old law books...even though his father was a doctor!
I suppose he's more of an expert at breaking the law, being a vigilante.

Yeah, the concept seemed underbaked, like something that could have used TOS's hour-long format; but it was refreshing that the civilization that was trying to assimilate the newcomers didn't try to stop them from finding a way out.
I was thinking that. I expected the usual dark underbelly.

The Spidey comic is just around the corner, starting in 1974.
That early? I associate it with much later, during the time of my waning interest in Marvel.

I've looked it up on IMDb, and will leave you in suspense.
Okay, that was weird. A handful of random shows and a movie about the Village People. :rommie:

Book 'em, Harris!
That would have been a cool clash of egos. :rommie:

"What could possibly go wrong?"
"See you tonight! Happy motoring!"
Hello.gif

_______

50th Anniversary Viewing (Part 1)

_______

Hawaii Five-O
"Anybody Can Build a Bomb"
Originally aired November 27, 1973
Wiki said:
A nuclear physicist becomes involved in an extortion scheme to blow up a portion of Honolulu with an atomic bomb.

A moving truck delivers a "freezing unit" to the Aloha Tower, supposedly for its commissary...and we hear ominous ticking from inside. The Governor shares with Steve a ransom note from someone named Mercury demanding $100 million within 36 hours or a nuclear bomb will level Honolulu; with a diagram of the device and a small piece of plutonium enclosed for verification. On behalf of Jonathan Kaye, the Governor recommends a local nuclear expert, Dr. Elias Haig (Lew Ayres) of the University of Hawaii, who verifies the plutonium and diagram. He also rolls off sobering examples of radioactive materials having routinely come up missing. Steve assembles the team for a crash course from Haig about how a nuclear bomb is built, and how all of the materials for a single bomb could be assembled on the island. Upon request, Haig also gives them details about what sorts of experts would be needed to build it. After Five-O leaves, Haig makes a coded phone call to a shady-looking character (Allen Reisner, I presume, whose character is billed as Hermes I)--"The pigeon is in the coop. He came on wings of Mercury."

Five-O and HPD hit the town to find where the materials were obtained; and a newspaper clipping is dug up about a metallurgist named Dolemar who died of radiation poisoning, following which the diagnoses was retracted and the diagnosing intern disappeared...along, it turns out, with the death certificate. Steve gets an ASAP order from the Governor to exhume Dolemar's body, which Bergman confirms has been highly irradiated, to the point that his fillings are radioactive. They find that Dolemar was employed by a refrigeration company in Honolulu and go to check it out...following which Haig makes another cryptic call, this time from Steve's phone--"The hawk has found the nest." Five-O finds the place cleared out of everything but the Geiger readings. Meanwhile, the Governor manages to raise the ransom money from Federal Reserve branches on the mainland, to be flown out via Phantom jet. Dr. Klaus Richter (Richard Angarola), a government expert with a low opinion of Haig, postulates from the information gathered that the attempt to assemble the bomb failed and the government is being bluffed. The Governor receives a call from Mercury that lays out the ransom delivery conditions. To verify their sincerity, Hermes announces that he's arranged for a radiation flash to go off in Kapiolani Park, which Danno evacuates via bullhorn from a helicopter, claiming a bomb threat.

Haig desperately tries to call Mercury, as this wasn't part of the plan, and after walking in at the end of the call, Steve takes interest in symbols that Haig was sketching on a pad. The park is combed with Geiger counters, which are set off by an ice cream cart. Haig insists that the area be cleared and goes in alone to roll the cart into a restroom. As he's walking away it goes off, producing noise and colorful flashes and knocking him off his feet. Afterward Che informs Steve that the symbol Haig sketched is for the element mercury. Back in his office, Haig leaves a confession on tape about how he was used and loads a gun. Steve breaks in to hear the tape playing, describing how Haig thought he was working to ensure that the atom would be used for peaceful purposes; and finds the scientist, affected by his proximity to the blast, lying next to the unused gun. McGarrett questions him for details, and tries to enlist his help in dismantling the bomb when it's found, despite his condition.

Chin digs up the refrigeration company's deliver to Aloha Tower, where the device--bearing the symbol of Mercury--is found and uncrated. While an unmarked private twin-prop plane lands at the airport to pick up the money, Haig instructs bomb squad men in disarming the device. Danno has just driven the money to the plane via baggage train when he gets the call that the red alert is off. Snipers fire at the plane as it's attempting to take off, causing it to explode into flaming wreckage. As Haig's being loaded onto an ambulance, he warns Steve about Mercury, which he emphasizes is a concept, not an individual. Time will tell if we hear from them again, or they decide to hole up north of the mainland.

_______

Ironside
"The Hidden Man"
Originally aired November 29, 1973
Wiki said:
An ex-prisoner of war refuses to believe his policeman father died in an auto accident.

I ran right up against the recording expiration date for this one, so please keep cockamamie questions to a minimum. :p

An incongruously romantic reused tune from one of the previously featured songs is played incongruously as Sgt. Mike Doyle (Cliff Potts) is flown home to San Francisco to be interviewed on camera about his escape from 29 months of captivity. (At this point, you'd think he would have been released.) Ironside is there to greet him at Travis Air Force Base, as Mike's father, SFPD officer Jack Doyle, was an old friend. Mike sees what appears to be his father (Warren Kemmerling) watching from the other side of a window--though Officer Doyle is said to have died two years prior, while Mike was a POW.

At the hospital, Mike questions the Chief about the circumstances of his father's death, which was officially from an auto accident, though Doyle allegedly had a contract put out on him by a mob boss named Babe Alben whom he put away after working undercover in his organization for a year. Elsewhere, Alben's son, Stanley Alexis (Zalman King)--who uses his grandmother's name--takes the Doyle sighting seriously, though his father's old right-hand-man, Tony Hudson (James Gregory), is more skeptical. Mike and most of the team visit Officer Doyle's grave at the Rear-Projected Meadows Cemetery, and Hudson tails the van afterward, while in turn being tailed by Ed. At the Cave, the Chief gives Mike his father's personal effects, including Officer Doyle's badge and gun; and Mike's belief that his father is still alive is fueled by finding that Jack's most prized possession, a picture of Mike and his mother, is missing from Doyle's wallet.

The car is tailed to a construction site owned by Alexis, whom Hudson reports to, arguing that the gravesite visit supports Doyle being dead. Against Hudson's advice, Alexis subsequently flies to a federal penitentiary in Washington state to see his father (Harold J. Stone), to whom he covertly promises to get Doyle, though Alexis notes that he's not a hitman. Hudson and Alexis's interest, along with Mike's questions, convince the Chief that the contract is very much a going thing, and that Doyle's death was faked by the Justice Department to put him in hiding while his son was believed to be dead. Randall reluctantly admits to this when confronted by Ironside, and Mike is subsequently brought into the loop. Mike threatens to go public with his search for his father--who, according to a go-between, doesn't want to see his son--but the Chief argues for a more hitman-unfriendly approach.

Ironside (to Randall): With your permission, I'm going to Washington. Without your permission, I'm going to Washington. Do I have your permission?​

In the nation's capital, the Chief pays a visit to an official named Sloate (Jack Aaron), who, having anticipated Ironside's needs, has a caterer brought in who turns out to be Jack. Jack wants to keep his son at a distance because he's a fugitive, but the Chief persuades him to risk himself and his son to help nab Alexis and Hudson. Mike subsequently gives a TV interview to a reporter recruited by the Chief about his belief that his father is alive and in protective custody; and Jack lets himself be seen at a bar run by Roy Penner (Jan Peters), an old stooge of Alben's. Ed and Mark are on stakeout as Penner tries to force Jack back into the bar and Jack KOs him with TV Fu moves.

Tony subsequently visits Babe, trying to convince him that it's all a trap and that he needs to stop his son. Alben is made to agree, but wants Tony to tell Stanley. As Tony predicts, Stanley doesn't listen, and when Tony tries to forcibly stop Stanley from going after the Doyles, a struggle over a gun ensues in which Tony ends up shot. Stanley regretfully dumps Tony's body at the construction site, then tails Mike in a cab driven by Ed, while both are tailed by the Ironsidemobile. The cab stops at a lakeside cabin where what appears to be Mike getting out to meet his father at the door (both seen at a distance and silhouetted). Stanley rushes up to burst in and spray the place with a submachinegun, only to find himself bathed in floodlights and addressed by the Chief via PA. Stanley surrenders to CLE, with Ed wanting his pistol as evidence for the murder of Hudson, whose body has been found. The Chief points Mike, who'd actually been hiding in the cab, to a rowboat on the shore for the actual reunion with his father.

_______

Love, American Style
"Love and the Hidden Meaning / Love and the Model Apartment / Love and the Parent's Sake / Love and the Three-Timer / Love and the Weirdo"
Originally aired November 30, 1973

In "Love and the Hidden Meaning," Jacqueline Susann (herself) is in her office working on her latest book when she receives a visit from an irate housewife whom she eventually learns is named Francis Goldman (Martha Raye). Francis expects Jacqueline to know her, and comedically beats around the bush a lot before it comes out that she assumes that the heroine in Jacqueline's latest filthy book was based on Susann; that the hero was based on her own husband, Morris Goldman; and that Jacqueline has therefore been having an affair with Morris. Jacqueline eventually convinces Francis otherwise by revealing that the hero was actually based on her husband, Irving Mansfield...but Francis comes away assuming that the heroine was therefore based on her! Gossip columnist Joyce Haber also appears as herself, for a phone call at the beginning of the segment.

In "Love and the Model Apartment," a security guard (George O'Hanlon) closes up a department store, following which a young couple, Ray and Ruth (Davy Jones and Kathleen Cody), come out of hiding. Against Ruth's better judgment, they're using the store's model apartment as their honeymoon suite for the weekend, though this involves avoiding a series of electric eyes and the patrolling guard. (Would the department store apartment have a working shower?) Ruth comes to enjoy the amenities of the place, including the other departments, despite the frequent interruptions. They even drive a golf cart from the adjacent Sporting Goods department around the store. But when they return to the apartment section, they find that "they've" been robbed! They have a spat, Ruth kicks Ray out of the apartment, and he ends up staying in a tent in Sporting Goods, within sight of the bed. Judy panics when she hears scuffling, and accidentally set up one of the alarms while making for the tent. The security guards are walking out a burglar at gunpoint when they hear Ray and Ruth in the tent. The guard thanks them for their help but insists that they must leave the store...first thing in the morning ;). The couple are settling back into the bed when they're approached by two other couples who live in other departments of the store, and are informed that a third couple who happen to be out of town normally occupy the apartment!

In "Love and the Parent's Sake," an elder couple, Percy and Edna (Burt Mustin and Queenie Smith), eavesdrop from their brass-bedded room as their son George (Dick Van Patten) and his wife, Helen (Nanette Fabray), are having their latest argument in the twin-bedded room next door. Percy and Edna try to intervene, but George and Helen just have another fight, which causes George to go out and sleep on the couch. The next day, Helen's trying to barricade George out of the bedroom when the parents announce that they're moving out to a hotel, as the only reason the couple has been staying together after their kids moved out is for the titular one. George and Helen apologize to one another, following which Percy and Edna reveal that they don't need to unpack, as they never packed in the first place.

In "Love and the Three-Timer," Suzy (Susan Foster) is visiting a junk shop to buy a keyhole for the collection of her boyfriend, Alan, whose birthday is Thursday. A woman named Carol (Sheryl Ullman) comes in, expressing an interest in the keyhole for the same reason, causing the proprietor (Jonathan Hole) to bring up the possibility that they may have the same boyfriend, which they quickly find is true. Then a third girl, Diane (Colleen Camp), also comes in to buy the keyhole for Alan. The trio of ladies commiserate together about being three-timed, then scheme to get back at Alan at the Japanese restaurant that he was taking each of them to on his birthday. In a private compartment at the restaurant, Alan (Dennis Cole) makes an excuse to slip out on Suzy, only to discover that Carol is early and waiting for him in the compartment that he reserved for his date with her. When he slips back out on her, he runs into Diane, who's very early. A fast-motion sequence ensues of Alan doing the sitcom thing of trying to be in three places at once. Eventually Diane gives him the keyhole as a present--with a card signed by all three of them--following which Suzy and Carol walk in. Just when it looks like Alan's sweet gig has been blown, Suzy lingers behind to express interest in a private reconciliation in an hour. After she leaves, Carol comes back to offer the same thing. Then out in the hall, Diane uses Alan's shoes as bait to lure him back into her compartment...

In "Love and the Weirdo," Stan (Peter Marshall) has Grace (Jessica Walter) come to his apartment for their first date, but being a superstitious believer in the supernatural, she brings several items to protect them from evil spirits and whatnot...then picks up a vibe that she needs to consult the I Ching. While Stan tries to influence her interpretation of the result, it ultimately says that any marriage between them is doomed.

Grace: Sorry, Stan. I really wanted to love you, but the ancient Chinese say no.​

Stan wants a second opinion, but a newspaper horoscope produces confirming results...as do tarot cards, tea leaves, and a Ouija board.

Grace: Only one other couple I know of had all their signs look this bad....Bridget and Bernie.​

Stan convinces her to put all of that up against the result of a coin toss, and heads indicates that they will love one another. Cut to their tenth anniversary, with the couple grateful that they put superstition behind them even though Stan was using a two-headed coin. Then we pan over to their children...a potion-brewing witch and a frog-petting devil.

_______

That's kind of what I thought, but I wasn't sure about connections to previous shows or whatever.
There were predecessor shows in the '60s, but they wouldn't have done something like that on a Saturday morning cartoon back in the day. They could expect that the audience had completely turned over.

Home Court Advantage. :D
:D

I suppose he's more of an expert at breaking the law, being a vigilante.
Not Super Friends Batman! He follows in the bootsteps of Adam West in being as wholesome as Mom and apple pie.

That early? I associate it with much later, during the time of my waning interest in Marvel.
It was published until '82.

Okay, that was weird. A handful of random shows and a movie about the Village People. :rommie:
I didn't look close enough to see that!

That would have been a cool clash of egos. :rommie:
Which one--McGarrett/Harris, McGarrett/Book, or just Lord/Glass?

We lost one of the good ones today - Denny Laine former lead singer of The Moody Blues Mk 1, and the longest serving member of Wings (10 years) after several health issues. Appropriately, he died on the 50th Anniversary of the release of Wings 'Band on the Run,' the only album recorded by the core members Paul McCartney, Linda McCartney and Denny Laine.

Although the album 'London Town' features the trio on the cover, several of the songs were recorded with Jimmy McCulloch and Joe English before their departure. 'London Town' also features the most McCartney/Laine compositions, with five. The subsequent album, 'Back to the Egg', would see Laine demoted from co-writer and only feature one Laine composition, 'Again and Again and Again.'

The last single recorded by the Moody Blues Mk 1 was Boulevard De Madeleine. Sadly, this leaves only Mike Pinder as the sole surviving member of the original Moody Blues; and, I've heard he's suffering from health issues, either dementia or alzheimer's, which is why he didn't speak at the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony

In some ways, it points to the future direction that the Moody Blues Mk 2 would take.

What is less known is that the Moody Blues Mk 1 went back into the studio and recorded enough material with producer Denny Cordell, for a second album featuring the first line-up. Whereas the first album was a combination of covers and original material, the second album would have been comprised entirely of Laine/Pinder originals. Some of the songs would trickle out as singles, but the majority would remain locked in the vault until the 50th anniversary expanded release of the debut album 'The Magnificent Moodies', where they would be added to the second disc.

After leaving the Moody Blues, Laine toured and recorded several singles both solo and with the Incredible String Band, only one of which 'Say You Don't Mind', saw release. The string arrangement is by John Paul Jones, later of Led Zepplin.

The song would be performed during Wings first tour of Europe, along with 'Go Now'; the latter of which would be played in every subsequent Wing tour.

Colin Blunstone, former lead singer of the Zombies would have a UK top twenty hit with the song in 1972. The song is still performed as part of the Zombies tours featuring Colin Blunstone and Rod Argent.

Prior to joining Wings, Laine was almost completely broke and homeless and alternating between living in a caravan or his managers back office. Laine joined Wings in August of 1971 and stayed until the 'Tug of War'/'Pipes of Peace' sesssions in February 1982. Laine left following the completion of the basic tracks, mostly over disagreements about monetary payments and Paul's refusal to tour behind the release of the album, following his arrest for marijiana possession in Japan and the murder of John Lennon.

Laine would continue to record and tour up until January 2023 and could be seen at Beatles and Wings conventions.

Last edited:
In other news, I'm going to jump the gun a bit and post these upcoming 50th anniversary performances of Loggins and Messina from 'The Midnight Special' - 14-December-1973.

First up - 'Your Mama Don't Dance'

Second is 'Danny's Song'.

A moving truck delivers a "freezing unit" to the Aloha Tower, supposedly for its commissary...and we hear ominous ticking from inside.
Do atom bombs tick?

someone named Mercury demanding $100 million
That's a pretty hefty sum for 1973.

or a nuclear bomb will level Honolulu
I wonder what made them choose Honolulu, aside from it being a Hawaii Five-Oh script.

a small piece of plutonium enclosed for verification.
The IAU has declared that plutonium is no longer radioactive!

the Governor recommends a local nuclear expert, Dr. Elias Haig
This is at least the second time a local expert called in for consultation is the bad guy.

He also rolls off sobering examples of radioactive materials having routinely come up missing.
This is very true, then and now.

a shady-looking character (Allen Reisner, I presume, whose character is billed as Hermes I)--"The pigeon is in the coop. He came on wings of Mercury."
Hermes and Mercury were basically the same god in Greek and Roman mythology-- I wonder if this has some meaning, aside from sounding cool.

a newspaper clipping is dug up about a metallurgist named Dolemar who died of radiation poisoning, following which the diagnoses was retracted and the diagnosing intern disappeared...along, it turns out, with the death certificate.
Who did all this covering up? Do the Feds know about Mercury, but they dropped the ball?

Dr. Klaus Richter (Richard Angarola), a government expert with a low opinion of Haig, postulates from the information gathered that the attempt to assemble the bomb failed and the government is being bluffed.
Did he just show up? That would imply that the Feds did indeed know. And it seems like we never found out if he was right about the bomb being a dud.

As he's walking away it goes off, producing noise and colorful flashes and knocking him off his feet.
Presumably a dirty bomb, assuming the writers thought it through that far.

the scientist, affected by his proximity to the blast, lying next to the unused gun.
A lethal dose of radiation acting that quickly from a bomb that size seems questionable, but I'm not sure.

the device--bearing the symbol of Mercury--is found and uncrated.
This suggests a stronger ideology than greed.

As Haig's being loaded onto an ambulance, he warns Steve about Mercury, which he emphasizes is a concept, not an individual. Time will tell if we hear from them again, or they decide to hole up north of the mainland.
I wonder if they will return, because there are a lot of loose threads. But this was still a nice little high-stakes adventure, so it would be nice to see it continue.

I ran right up against the recording expiration date for this one, so please keep cockamamie questions to a minimum. :p
Cockamamie?!? I'm cut to the quick. :wah:

Sgt. Mike Doyle (Cliff Potts) is flown home to San Francisco
What gate did he arrive at? Just kidding. :rommie:

(At this point, you'd think he would have been released.)
He wondered why it was so easy.

a mob boss named Babe Alben
Another gangster with a cute nickname. :rommie:

Tony Hudson (James Gregory)
The crazy shrink from Trek. I remembered this time!

Mike's belief that his father is still alive is fueled by finding that Jack's most prized possession, a picture of Mike and his mother, is missing from Doyle's wallet.
I'm surprised he didn't demand that the grave be opened.

he covertly promises to get Doyle, though Alexis notes that he's not a hitman.
Why not order Hudson to do it?

convince the Chief that the contract is very much a going thing
And yet Hudson believes Doyle to be dead.

Ironside (to Randall): With your permission, I'm going to Washington. Without your permission, I'm going to Washington. Do I have your permission?
:rommie:

an official named Sloate (Jack Aaron), who, having anticipated Ironside's needs, has a caterer brought in who turns out to be Jack.
A cooperative official. That's a nice touch.

when Tony tries to forcibly stop Stanley from going after the Doyles, a struggle over a gun ensues in which Tony ends up shot.
Hudson doesn't believe that Doyle is alive, is unwilling to look into it, and is ultimately killed in a struggle with a non pro. This makes the character look kind of weak for a guy who's the right-hand man of a mob boss.

The Chief points Mike, who'd actually been hiding in the cab, to a rowboat on the shore for the actual reunion with his father.
So the payoff moment takes place off screen. Not a bad story, but a flawed script-- the guest characters were not very compelling and they robbed us of the emotional climax.

Jacqueline eventually convinces Francis otherwise by revealing that the hero was actually based on her husband, Irving Mansfield...but Francis comes away assuming that the heroine was therefore based on her!
That was pretty cute. :rommie:

The couple are settling back into the bed when they're approached by two other couples who live in other departments of the store, and are informed that a third couple who happen to be out of town normally occupy the apartment!
I like how the weirdness really escalated at the end, especially the implication that the security guards are in on it. :rommie:

George (Dick Van Patten)
Friar Tuck and the Eight Is Enough guy.

Helen (Nanette Fabray)
Vaudevillian and popular character actor.

George and Helen apologize to one another, following which Percy and Edna reveal that they don't need to unpack, as they never packed in the first place.
Vague conflict and the resolution just puts off the inevitable.

Alan (Dennis Cole)
The Felony Squad guy.

Just when it looks like Alan's sweet gig has been blown, Suzy lingers behind to express interest in a private reconciliation in an hour. After she leaves, Carol comes back to offer the same thing. Then out in the hall, Diane uses Alan's shoes as bait to lure him back into her compartment...
The multiple-date trope can be funny when it happens by accident, but this guy was just on a mission of self destruction. Which makes the ending weird and unsatisfying. And what was up with the keyhole? Too offbeat to be random, yet it seemed to have no significance.

Stan (Peter Marshall)
The game show guy, I assume.

Grace (Jessica Walter)
Popular character actor.

Grace: Sorry, Stan. I really wanted to love you, but the ancient Chinese say no.
Maybe we can get Kissinger to intervene.

Grace: Only one other couple I know of had all their signs look this bad....Bridget and Bernie.
Good one. :rommie:

Cut to their tenth anniversary, with the couple grateful that they put superstition behind them even though Stan was using a two-headed coin. Then we pan over to their children...a potion-brewing witch and a frog-petting devil.
Now that's a great out-of-left-field ending. :rommie: And that's several times now lately that we've had fantasy or SF elements in LAS.

There were predecessor shows in the '60s, but they wouldn't have done something like that on a Saturday morning cartoon back in the day. They could expect that the audience had completely turned over.
Yeah, that's true.

Not Super Friends Batman! He follows in the bootsteps of Adam West in being as wholesome as Mom and apple pie.
Yeah, and officially recognized by CLE.

It was published until '82.
Which would indeed overlap my lapse in comic book reading.

Which one--McGarrett/Harris, McGarrett/Book, or just Lord/Glass?
Heh. McGarrett/Harris. McGarrett/Book would take some work and I don't know enough about Glass to guess how Lord/Glass would go-- although I'm pretty sure that Glass was not as egotistical as Harris.

We lost one of the good ones today - Denny Laine former lead singer of The Moody Blues
RIP, Mr Laine. That was a great band.

Sadly, this leaves only Mike Pinder as the sole surviving member of the original Moody Blues; and, I've heard he's suffering from health issues, either dementia or alzheimer's
Ugh, the poor guy. I hate that.

Some of the songs would trickle out as singles, but the majority would remain locked in the vault until the 50th anniversary expanded release of the debut album
It boggles the mind that so much original material from such a popular band would be kept on ice for so long.

Laine toured and recorded several singles both solo and with the Incredible String Band, only one of which 'Say You Don't Mind', saw release.
Not bad. I prefer the Laine version over Blunstone 's.

In other news, I'm going to jump the gun a bit and post these upcoming 50th anniversary performances of Loggins and Messina from 'The Midnight Special' - 14-December-1973.
Good stuff. I always liked Loggins and Messina.

We lost one of the good ones today - Denny Laine former lead singer of The Moody Blues Mk 1, and the longest serving member of Wings (10 years) after several health issues.
Laine would continue to record and tour up until January 2023 and could be seen at Beatles and Wings conventions.
I briefly met him offstage at Beatlefest in the late '90s. RIP, Denny.

Do atom bombs tick?
This one did. And at least a couple in Bond films, IIRC.

I wonder what made them choose Honolulu, aside from it being a Hawaii Five-Oh script.
They wanted to test the power of the atom against Jack Lord's hair.

This is at least the second time a local expert called in for consultation is the bad guy.
Yeah, questionable doing those two episodes back-to-back.

Who did all this covering up? Do the Feds know about Mercury, but they dropped the ball?
I got the impression that Mercury did. There was no implication of federal conspiracy, and I think that would have come out during the bomb threat.

Did he just show up?
No, he was part of a strategy meeting with the Governor, McGarrett, Jonathan Kaye, Haig, and a couple of military brass.

I wonder if they will return, because there are a lot of loose threads. But this was still a nice little high-stakes adventure, so it would be nice to see it continue.
Felt like a Wo Fat episode with no Wo Fat. (Low Wo Fat?)

He wondered why it was so easy.
Ah, maybe he was like a Japanese soldier holed up on a remote Pacific island...daringly making his escape from Vietnam while the other POWs were being sent home.

The crazy shrink from Trek. I remembered this time!
And an inspector from Barney Miller, right?

I'm surprised he didn't demand that the grave be opened.
I believe some noise was made about that...some of it by the Chief before Randall came clean, IIRC.

Why not order Hudson to do it?
Hudson wouldn't have.

And yet Hudson believes Doyle to be dead.
Hudson doesn't believe that Doyle is alive, is unwilling to look into it, and is ultimately killed in a struggle with a non pro. This makes the character look kind of weak for a guy who's the right-hand man of a mob boss.
He was played more as the level-headed voice of reason. He was motivated to argue that Doyle was dead to stop Alexis from going and doing something stupid.

So the payoff moment takes place off screen. Not a bad story, but a flawed script-- the guest characters were not very compelling and they robbed us of the emotional climax.
We saw him go to the boat and a shadowy hug, IIRC. In this case, I think the reunion was a McGuffin.

I like how the weirdness really escalated at the end, especially the implication that the security guards are in on it. :rommie:
Hadn't thought of that.

And what was up with the keyhole? Too offbeat to be random, yet it seemed to have no significance.
I assume that it must be a thing, however obscure.
LAS13.jpg

The game show guy, I assume.
You win a BRAND! NEW!! CAR!!!

Popular character actor.
And will be the star of a very short-lived Ironside spinoff.

It boggles the mind that so much original material from such a popular band would be kept on ice for so long.
There must have been something going on behind the scenes that it took the Moodys so long to release a second album; in those days, a going act typically released two a year.

There must have been something going on behind the scenes that it took the Moodys so long to release a second album; in those days, a going act typically released two a year.

Long story short, the band's manager absconded with the money in July 1965, shortly before they were to fly to the US to appear on the Ed Sullivan Show to perform 'Go Now' and tour with other British acts, leaving the band broke and forcing them to take on a series of tours in the UK and Europe in order to make money to pay the bills. Decca, the record label, held the tapes in lieu of payment, and released subsequent singles with little to no promotion.

Denny, Mike Pinder, Ray Thomas and Graeme Edge, all of who were interviewed for the liner notes for the 50th Anniversary edition said that if they had been able to appear on Ed Sullivan and tour the states, they might have broken through to US audiences/listeners and had more success.

After Denny Laine and Clint Warwick left in July and October of 1966, and Justin Hayward and John Lodge joined the band in November 1966, the label went to them in late April 1967 and said, 'You owe us an album, and we won't release the one that's been previously recorded because it features members who are no longer with the band, one of whom was your lead singer.'

This forced the band to go into the studio and record the live set that they had been working on about the day in the life of a man, which they named 'Days of Future Passed.'

Mike Pinder, who had taken a job as an engineer working for the company that manufactured the Mellotron, managed to acquire one secondhand/used, got it working, and with some improvements, brought it into the studio, which led to the birth of the Moody Blues signature sound.

Edit to add - Having heard the unreleased second album, thanks to the 50th Anniversary edition, I'll give it points for being comprised entirely of Laine/Pinder compositions. Most second albums being released by major groups at the time in the UK and US would have a cover version or two. Even The Beatles didn't have an album comprised entirely of Lennon/McCartney originals until their third album 'A Hard Days Night'.

That being said, the Laine/Pinder songs are mostly standard R&B tunes with only 'Boulevard De Madeleine' being the real standout. There's nothing else like it on the album and its appearance makes you go, 'Where did that come from?'

Last edited:
I briefly met him offstage at Beatlefest in the late '90s. RIP, Denny.

From the stories I've read online from people who had met him at concerts/backstage/conventions, etc., Laine seemed like a genuinley nice person, who was willing to engage you in conversation not only about his time with the Moody Blues and Wings, but just about any subject that came up.

This one did. And at least a couple in Bond films, IIRC.
Seems clunky, but I never made a DIY atom bomb, so who knows?

They wanted to test the power of the atom against Jack Lord's hair.
A futile endeavor! :rommie:

I got the impression that Mercury did. There was no implication of federal conspiracy, and I think that would have come out during the bomb threat.
Now I really hope they reveal who Mercury is, because that's a hell of a cover up. The hospital changed its findings, the death certificate disappeared, and the intern vanished-- and nobody seems to have noticed until now.

Felt like a Wo Fat episode with no Wo Fat. (Low Wo Fat?)
I thought about Wo Fat. Would he go so far as to obliterate Honolulu?

Ah, maybe he was like a Japanese soldier holed up on a remote Pacific island...daringly making his escape from Vietnam while the other POWs were being sent home.
:rommie:

And an inspector from Barney Miller, right?
Yes, Inspector Luger, which is who I usually think of first.

He was played more as the level-headed voice of reason. He was motivated to argue that Doyle was dead to stop Alexis from going and doing something stupid.
Sounds like he was more motivated by personal loyalty, which makes his death more tragic than pathetic.

We saw him go to the boat and a shadowy hug, IIRC. In this case, I think the reunion was a McGuffin.
It should have been the emotional center. That's what people would care about most.

I assume that it must be a thing, however obscure.
View attachment 37646
It looks like a nice antique, but I don't see any significance to the theme. I'm just overthinking it.

You win a BRAND! NEW!! CAR!!!
bounce.gif

And will be the star of a very short-lived Ironside spinoff.
Interesting. I don't remember that at all.

I was thinking there must be legal issues or something.

We also lost Norman Lear yesterday...at 101!
I saw that. RIP to a true pioneer. We seem to be losing a lot of people who are hovering around the century mark.

Long story short, the band's manager absconded with the money in July 1965, shortly before they were to fly to the US to appear on the Ed Sullivan Show to perform 'Go Now' and tour with other British acts, leaving the band broke and forcing them to take on a series of tours in the UK and Europe in order to make money to pay the bills.
Wow. Did this guy ever suffer any consequences for this?

'You owe us an album, and we won't release the one that's been previously recorded because it features members who are no longer with the band, one of whom was your lead singer.'
This seems like an inexplicably bad business decision to me.

Mike Pinder, who had taken a job as an engineer working for the company that manufactured the Mellotron, managed to acquire one secondhand/used, got it working, and with some improvements, brought it into the studio, which led to the birth of the Moody Blues signature sound.
That's very interesting. You never know what random events will have profound consquences.

Wow. Did this guy ever suffer any consequences for this?

See Colonel Tom Parker, Murry Wilson, Saul Kantz and Stan Polley for that answer.

This seems like an inexplicably bad business decision to me.

I don't know. If I'm the band, do I want material being released that's two years old and doesn't reflect the new line-up and sound and if it does poorly on charts, further damages their career/reputation - or do I go into the studio and record an album of songs that have been road tested and positively received by audiences?

I was surprised to learn from the 50th Anniversary edition of 'Days of Future Passed' that almost fully half the album had already been performed on the BBC in the months leading up to the Moody Blues entering the studio, with 'Nights in White Satin' being the song that garnered the most attention from DJs.

Something else to consider - the band was 5000 pounds in debt when the label approached them in May 1967 and said 'You owe us some singles and an album'. They were close to breaking up at that point, unable to pay back the money they owed - what other choice do they have?

If the singles and album do moderately well on the charts, it earns them some money; enough to keep going and maybe start playing some bigger venues where they can charge promoters more for their appearance. If the album bombs, the band breaks up and you're left with a cult album.

As it turns out, the album was a success and became one of the first 'progressive albums' released and they would enjoy continued success well into the eighties, with the 'core seven' being the most popular.

Last edited:
Back