The Classic/Retro Pop Culture Thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by The Old Mixer, Jan 11, 2016.

1. DarrenTR1970

DarrenTR1970 Commodore Commodore

Willy later shows up looking for a job from Krebbs, auditioning by decking Mork.

That's stuntman Hal Needham in one of his M:I appearances before becoming a director.

He was really good at playing sleezeballs in his two M:I appearances and his one Columbo appearance.

I've mentioned in a previous post that at the end of sixth season Lynda Day George announced that she was pregnant. She went on maternity leave after filming the first four episodes of the seventh season.

Barbara Anderson was hired starting with the fifth episode filmed of the seventh season "Break!", subsequently appearing in seven of the ten episodes sans Lynda Day George.

The reason, according to producer Barry Crane and head writer Harold Livingston, they kept bringing Barbara back was because she was simply the best actress for the job. One script/episode, "Movie" was rewritten to include Barbara instead of another actress.

It brings to mind the situation with Martin Landau during the first season and Lee Meriwether during the fourth season, after Barbara Bain quit. The producers and writers simply brought back actors/actresses they were comfortable with, instead of the original proposed gimmick of bringing in specialized IMF agents for each episode.

When "Break!" was chosen as the seventh season premier, a new ending had to be hastily written and filmed, where Jim asks Mimi to join the team while Casey was in Europe on special assignment for the Secretary. The scene was written and directed by a different crew and shot eight weeks after principle photography on "Break!" was completed, during filming of the episode "Movie". The original ending was edited and trimmed but would have included an additional scene where Barney and the police crash Krebb's victory party for Jim, with Barney casually swinging Toledo's watch on his finger, has subsequently been lost.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
  2. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Wow, I don't even remember him in Heroes. What power did he have? Super truffling? :D

Ah, of course. :rommie:

That's probably it.

Ah, okay.

Like BJ Hunnicutt. :rommie:

True. :rommie:

Nice. I wonder how many people go from stuntman to director.

He made a formidable opponent for Columbo, that's true. :rommie:

Ah, that explains the randomness. I'm sure they would have preferred to give her a more appropriate intro.

Too bad. That would have made a nice DVD extra.

3. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I was thinking of the character name...

Also, they needed the driver to serve as a relay on the radio. He didn't have anyone shotgun to do that.

Or Harry S. Truman.

4. RJDiogenes

Weirdly, I still don't remember.... :confused:

Ah, that makes sense. I probably would have gotten it if I had actually watched.

Or... uh... Q. :rommie:

5. The Old Mixer

The Haitian must've gotten to you...

Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
  6. DarrenTR1970

Tonight, I'd thought I'd do a little British "Glam" rock. I'm trying to stick within the 50-55 year timeframe, so, these are all from '72.

First is Slade.

Here's one from Sweet.

Finishing up with Wizzard. This one slips in just in time. Released in December '72, charted in '73. The lead singer is Roy Wood the co-founder of Electric Light Orchestra. He left in the spring of '72, taking pianist Bill Hunt and cellist Hugh McDowell with him, after disagreements with Jeff Lynne about the musical direction ELO should take and formed the octet Wizzard

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
  7. RJDiogenes

I was just about to type another confused response when it finally sunk in. Honestly, I didn't even remember that this kid existed. Now if it had been Noah Bennett.... :rommie:

This is pretty good. I'm not sure if it's the same guys, but I seem to remember an 80s band called Slade.

I love The Sweet. This isn't their best work, but it's good.

If nothing else, Glam Rock is fun. :rommie:

8. DarrenTR1970

You might be thinking of Quiet Riot; they covered a couple of Slade songs in the early '80s. It did lead to a Slade resurgence, and they scored a couple of top forty hits here in the US and it kept them going in the UK 'til the end of the decade.

Yeah, once they broke free of the Chin-Chapman production/writing team and started writing and producing on their own material, they got better; but that's in a year or so.

Just wait 'til The Old Mixer gets to '73, that's peak "Glam" material.

9. DarrenTR1970

You know, this Frampton kid, he's got potential. Steve Marriott's not bad either.

10. RJDiogenes

I looked it up yesterday. It was "Run Runaway" that I was thinking of.

I think the first song I remember from them is "Little Willie."

I know Humble Pie, but I can't remember how. It's not this song.

11. DarrenTR1970

Yeah. This was their post "Quiet Riot" bump that they got. I remember listening to this while at the skating rink.

I remember that one from elementary school and another one we listened to at the skating rink.

Is it this one? This one seems to pop up in all the "end of year" lists on the classic rock stations. Bit of trivia - Steve Marriott was one of the musicians brought in to audition to be Mick Taylor's replacement in the Rolling Stones. Mick Jagger vetoed the suggestion because he didn't want a guitarist who could sing better than he could.

12. The Old Mixer

The best part of Lyle was the way HRG said "Lyle...".

I don't get to '73...'73 comes to 50th Anniversaryland...in realtime.

Maybe too retro even for this thread...:crazy:

I missed episodes of The Incredible Hulk for the damn skating rink...:mad:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
  13. The Old Mixer

50 Years Ago This Week

September 24
    • Twelve children and 11 adults were killed when an F-86 fighter aircraft crashed into a Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour in Sacramento. The store, located across a highway from the edge of an airport runway, had at least 100 people inside at the time.

September 26, 1972
    • North Vietnamese negotiator Le Duc Tho dropped demands that South Vietnam's President Nguyen Van Thieu be removed from office as a condition for ending the Vietnam War, a breakthrough in peace negotiations.
    • U.S. Patent No. 3,693,535 was granted for the first automatic drip coffee brewing machine for homes, marketed under the name "Mr. Coffee". The machine went on sale as early as October 8 with the suggested retail price of USD $49.95, roughly $292 in 2017 dollars.

September 27
    • Died: Rory Storm, 33, British musician, [Lewisohn]leader of the now-disbanded Liverpool group Rory Storm and the Hurricanes, with whom Ringo drummed before he joined the Beatles,[/Lewisohn] died of a combination of alcohol and sleeping pills.

September 29
    • Under a Joint CommuniquĂ© of the Government of Japan and the Government of the People's Republic of China, Japan, normalized diplomatic relations with the People's Republic of China after breaking official ties with the Republic of China (Taiwan). On August 12, 1978, the two nations would formally end their state of war with a peace treaty.
    • In a story headlined "Mitchell Controlled Secret GOP Fund", Washington Post investigative reporters Carl Bernstein and Bob Woodward broke the story that "while serving as U.S. Attorney General, Mitchell personally controlled a secret Republican fund that was used to gather information about the Democrats, according to sources involved in the Watergate investigation."

Selections from Billboard's Hot 100 for the week:

Leaving the chart:
    • "Hold Your Head Up," Argent (15 weeks)
    • "I'm Still in Love with You," Al Green (12 weeks)
    • "Join Together," The Who (10 weeks)
    • "You Don't Mess Around with Jim," Jim Croce (13 weeks)

New on the chart:

"Funny Face," Donna Fargo

(#5 US; #5 AC; #1 Country)

"If You Don't Know Me by Now," Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes

(#3 US; #1 R&B; #9 UK)

And new on the boob tube:
    • M*A*S*H, "To Market, to Market"
    • Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In, Season 6, episode 3
    • Hawaii Five-O, "You Don't Have to Kill to Get Rich--But it Helps"
    • Adam-12, "Airdrop"
    • The Brady Bunch, "Pass the Tabu"
    • The Odd Couple, "The Princess"
    • Love, American Style, "Love and the Lucky Couple / Love and the Mail Room / Love and the New Act / Love and the Overnight Guests"
    • All in the Family, "The Threat"
    • Emergency!, "Show Biz"
    • The Mary Tyler Moore Show, "Who's in Charge Here?"
    • The Bob Newhart Show, "Tennis, Emily?"
    • Mission: Impossible, "The Deal"

_______

Timeline entries are quoted from the Wiki page for the month and Mark Lewisohn's The Beatles Day by Day, with minor editing as needed.

_______

14. RJDiogenes

That's definitely familiar, so it's probably what I'm thinking of.

That's Mick. :rommie: It's interesting to think what would have happened if it had gone the other way.

It's been such a long time... :rommie:

My first dates with my first girlfriend were at the skating rink. I learned a harsh lesson about letting the girl decide what to do. :rommie:

Plans for a Marvel tie-in comic featuring "The Most Caffeinated Superhero Of All" never worked out.

On the one hand, I'm touched that she's singing about Funny Face, but on the other hand I'm hurt that she didn't mention Goofy Grape specifically.

Stone Cold Classic.

15. DarrenTR1970

Our local skating rink was located between our house and elementary school. There were a lot of field trips and birthday parties held there, that's why I have memories of it.

Family had one of those on the kitchen countertop. I would sometimes make the coffee in the morning, even though I don't drink it.

Nope. Doesn't ring a bell.

This, on the other hand. Classic.

16. The Old Mixer

_______

50th Anniversary Viewing (Part 1)

_______

M*A*S*H
    "Pilot"
    Originally aired September 17, 1972
    Series premiere
    The date is established in the episode by an onscreen caption:

KOREA 1950: a hundred years ago

A brief humor montage featuring the various cast members segues into an episode-specific version of the opening credits sequence as patients are helicoptered in. During surgery, there's a voiceover of Hawkeye narrating a letter to his father about the job. The animosity between Hawkeye and Burns is quickly established, as is the relationship between Burns and Hot Lips (Loretta Swit). Good lord is Alda's hair way too '70s for 1950--the Beatles are fourteen years in the future! Hawkeye gets a letter from the dean of his alma matter that Ho-Jon (Patrick Adiarte) has been accepted into the school. Good lord again, not only have they carried over from the film the nickname for Capt. Oliver Harmon Jones (Timothy Brown) that was offensive even by 1972 standards, but when the guys are thinking of a way to raise money for tuition, Trapper's first idea is to sell him...! :wtf: Hawkeye comes up with the idea to raffle the date with his girl of the episode, Lt. Maria "Dish" Schneider (Karen Philipp). But when Blake goes away on business, he leaves Burns in charge, who cancels the raffle party.

Hawkeye ends up sedating Burns and having him bandaged as a patient. The party goes on, but Hot Lips, demanding to know what happened to Frank, goes directly to Blake's superior, General Charlie Hammond (G. Wood), who arrives just as Father Mulcahy has won. (Along the way, Hot Lips has found Frank, having recognized his butt when she was about to give him his shot.) Hammond wants Hawkeye and Trapper arrested, but they convince the general to let them go in order to operate on incoming patients, and enlist his help in the operating room. Afterward, the general declares the pair to be the best surgeons he's ever seen, and tells Blake not to let them go...which causes Hawkeye and Trapper to have second thoughts about their tactic, as it'll likely be harder for them to get out of the service.

The episode ends with the camp announcer (an uncredited Jamie Farr) naming the cast members. Gary Burghoff reprises his role of "Radar" O'Reilly from the film, and Bruno Kirby appears briefly as Pvt. Lorenzo Boone. While Karen Philipp's recurring role was very short-lived, she can be seen (if not clearly) in the opening credits throughout the run of the series, because they used the footage from this episode's opening.

_______

Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In
    Season 6, episode 2
    Originally aired September 18, 1972
    The episode opens with Dan and Dick introducing Dyan Cannon onstage. All of the guests are in the cocktail party:

A skit with Dyan and Ruth Buzzi, in which Dyan's uncontrollable laughter seems to be unscripted.

The news segment, which includes a brief joke about female impersonator Jim Bailey, whom we've seen on Ed Sullivan:

Dyan as a woman subbing for a trained seal:

Laugh-In Salutes Guns:

Lester and Willie Tyler as Sandwich and Son:

They're still doing the Farkels. Apparently there'll be a serialized gag about one of them having a baby, which will be a source of clips in upcoming episodes.

Dyan in a song segment about a singles apartment.

_______

Hawaii Five-O
    "Death Wish on Tantalus Mountain"
    Originally aired September 19, 1972
    The episode opens with racecar driver Alex Pareno (Ricardo Montalban) overseeing the delivery of his wheels via Seatrain. At the dock, he introduces an old colleague, Gordon Miles (John Stalker), to his son, Niki (Michael Margotta), and fiancée, Angela Sordi (Diana Muldaur)...the latter of whom spots a man in the crowd of obvious concern to her (Steve Merrick). In the wee hours, somebody breaks into Pareno's garage to gain access to the car and, when seen, kills Pareno's mechanic, Dmitiri Burgholtz (uncredited, looks like Peter Whitney).

When questioned at Pareno's seaside digs, Sordi says that she saw a young man bringing a drunken Dmitri home in a taxi. Pareno is with his son scoping out the hairpin-laden racecourse on the titular geological formation, so McGarrett drives up to see him, accompanied by state department official Saunders (Wendell Martin), because Pareno is considered a diplomatic VIP. Pareno doesn't want protection, and in private Niki tells McGarrett of how he followed Angela on the night of the murder when she sneaked out to meet the man he noticed her looking at on the dock, and indicates that this isn't the first time she's had such a rendezvous. Pareno has an expert mechanic flown in from the mainland to check the car for tampering, but when the mechanic test-drives the car on the Tantalus course, he loses control and crashes into the mountainside, the car obligatorily bursting into flames.

During the group questioning that follows, Pareno indicates that there's no shortage of men who might want him dead, but that he doesn't believe his ex-wife, Niki's mother, would be capable of having it done; and Angela denies knowing anybody in Hawaii. Afterward, Niki confesses privately to McGarrett that he was the one who brought Dimitri home, having previously denied it, not wanting his father to know. A check of their records indicates that Angela and Niki both have sordid incidents in their pasts, but nothing to motivate murder. Later, Niki creepily leans on Angela about what she's up to, and she insists that he doesn't understand. Chin and Ben are tailing Angela when she makes another rendezvous with the mystery man to hand him an envelope full of bills. Pareno's record check turns up an incident years back in which he hospitalized Dmitri after catching him drinking, which McGarrett confronts him about for glossing over previously. Alex has a new car brought to the island, and he and Niki thoroughly inspect it mechanically before Pareno takes it for a test drive himself.

The drive goes fine, but Chin and Ben tail the mystery man, raid his bungalow with uniformed backup, and arrest him after he attempts to escape, finding him armed and carrying the $10,000. He's identified as con man/extortionist Frank Brill, and a search of his car turns up the blood-stained wrench that killed Dmitri. Angela is brought in on suspicion that she tried to have Alex killed because she's in his will. Alex comes in accompanied by a lawyer and, after being confronted with the evidence against Angela, questions her himself. She reluctantly confesses that she was being blackmailed by Brill over an affair she'd had with him before she knew Alex, which provided him with compromising photographs. Pareno storms out, feeling betrayed at how she went behind his back, and Steve presses her for the full truth.

McGarrett has experts of his own brought in to inspect the new car, and after it passes with flying colors, agrees to lift security from Pareno. But Alex later catches Niki tampering with it in the darkened garage, admiring his son's technique of loosening bolts and retightening them by hand, so they'd pass inspection but loosen with vibration. Five-O are there to catch Niki when he tries to run, and he breaks down, expressing his resentment over how his father treated his mother. McGarrett shares with Pareno that Angela knew of Niki's issues but kept them from Alex. Pareno forgives Angela, but she packs her bag and leaves him. Pareno proceeds with his solo race to beat the record for the Tantalus course, now a much lonelier man.

_______

Adam-12
    "The Late Baby"
    Originally aired September 20, 1972
    Malloy notices the attractive new girl in Records, Marilyn Tate (Christina Sinatra), when she needs his signature on a report. When he asks about her in the break room, Wells tries to warn him off her by claiming that she's a cold fish...then she pops in to fetch her Uncle Ed. Later Marilyn explains that she and her uncle are only a few years apart because he's what the family refers to as a "late baby".

Malloy: I'll just file that away for use at some appropriate time.​

Wells starts hovering around overprotectively and wants to know more when he finds out that his niece has agreed to a date with Pete.

On patrol, Adam-12 responds to a 209 for a prowler there now. At the address, the officers look around and Malloy rings the bell to talk to the homeowner, Mrs. Fowler (Winifred Coffin). Malloy returns to the car, loudly declares that it's a false alarm, and drives off, while Reed opens and closes his door but stays behind. From a position of concealment, he sees a man fleeing the property and arrests him.

On patrol again, the officers pull over an old flatbed truck overloaded with flowers. The driver, Mr. Archer (Herb Vigran), has an expired license and a couple of unpaid traffic tickets on his record, but wins the officers over with a sob story about needing to sell the flowers to marry his fiancée, so they let him deliver his cargo to his stand and call her to man it before the they take him downtown. Wells drives by to try to steer Pete into bringing Marilyn to a barbeque at his place, but Pete shoos him off.

Back in the break room at HQ, Marilyn is late for her date with Pete because, as Malloy anticipated, Uncle Ed tried to warn her about what a rotten guy he is--including that he drinks too much! The next day, Ed presses Pete for details about what he did with Marilyn, and it comes out that he drove around all night looking for them. On patrol, the officers pursue a recklessly speeding green Corvette, but lose it in Laurel Canyon. Back at HQ in the locker room, Wells tries to get Reed to spill what he knows, and another officer, Tom Boyd (Frank Sinatra Jr.), boasts about the moves he'd use to woo Marilyn ( :eek: ).

Pete and Jim are discussing how Wells is making Marilyn seem like not such a good catch when they spot a gardening truck at a property off its usual schedule. They find the gardener (John Gilgreen) trying too hard not to act suspicious, see that the place has been broken into, and catch his partner (Stuart Nisbet) coming out with stolen goods. Back in Laurel Canyon, the officers stop to help a man with a broken leg sitting on the side of the road (Glenn Stensel, I presume). He describes how he drove his car off the road and had to climb his way back up for help. His wrecked vehicle turns out to be the green Corvette.

At HQ, Wells pesters Pete for details about his date with Marilyn that night, but it turns out that Pete hasn't made a date with her...a smug-looking Boyd has ( :ack: ).

_______

The Odd Couple
    "Big Mouth"
    Originally aired September 22, 1972
    Felix is anxious about Cosell being late for a soda ad shoot when Oscar drops by to borrow money. Felix tries to get rid of his roommate, Cosell shows up (himself), and it turns out that Oscar and Cosell are previously acquainted, in a bad way. As their old feud intensifies, Cosell walks out. Back at the apartment, while Felix frets about his career, Oscar writes a column to get back at Cosell. Felix guilts Oscar into promising to apologize to Cosell in the press box at a game...which Felix shows up for, causing Oscar to miss important plays. When Oscar goes through with it, his apology is met with insults, but Cosell agrees to come back and do the ad. Then Felix inadvertently insults Cosell by offering him advice about his sinuses, and the shoot is off again.

Now the shoe's on the other foot as Oscar tries to convince an infuriated Felix that he has to humble himself and apologize to Cosell. Oscar ends up trying to smooth things over himself, using the presence of a Boy Scout contest winner named Charley (Michael Morgan) as leverage. The shoot is back on, only for Oscar to learn that Myrna had his anti-Cosell column printed in spite of his attempt to kill it, so Oscar hightails to the studio to warn Felix. Felix tries to rush through the shoot, but one of the models has a paper. Cosell reads the insult-filled piece and storms out. At the next game, Felix and Oscar contritely go to Cosell's area of the press box together. Cosell announces them on the air, and after letting Charley take an impressive turn at describing the plays, hands the mic to Oscar. Cosell insults Oscar on the air over his loss for words, but Felix tries to cover for his friend, improvising completely wrong play descriptions while laying on his commentary a bit thick.

In the coda, Felix and Oscar have Cosell over for coffee, and while things seem to be going better among them, the announcer leaves with a verbose insult for both. After he's gone, Felix and Oscar take turns doing impressions of Cosell's announcement style.

_______

Love, American Style
    "Love and the Amateur Night / Love and the Cheaters / Love and the Love Nest / Love and the Unbearable Fiance"
    Originally aired September 22, 1972

In "Love and the Cheaters," Gladys (Brett Somers Klugman) catches Harry (Jack Klugman) trying to get lipstick off his collar and reacts matter-of-factly, already aware of her husband's history of extramarital affairs. He acts more upset than she at her lack of concern, but she encourages him to go through with his date that night with the woman he's currenntly seeing, Delores. He comes up with the backwards idea of Gladys engaging in her own fling so he won't feel as guilty. For this purpose, he dedicates himself to helping her get back in shape, at the expense of seeing Delores. He's ready to resume dating when he fixes Gladys up with a friend, Jack Harper (Robert Karvelas), who balks when he learns what he's getting involved in, but gets into the idea when he sees how good Gladys looks cleaned up. Taken aback himself, Harry drives Jack away to reignite his marriage.

"Love and the Love Nest" opens with Irene Thompson (Marian Hailey) catching neighbor Morris Phelps (Bob Dishy) crawling into her twelfth-floor window, claiming that he's only looking for his pet chicken, Herbie. While Irene had been attracted to Morris from afar, she, next-door neighbor Mrs. Benson (Ruth McDevitt), and the patrolman (Ron Masak) all assume the worst and Morris is arrested. But Irene ends up finding a chicken at her door and realizes that she's sent an innocent man to jail. Phelps is set free after spending time getting to know an alleged degenerate named Bernie (Al Lewis). Morris returns to Irene's apartment for Herbie, but isn't interested in apologies. However, it turns out that Herbie is nesting in Irene's closet, and Mrs. Benson advises that Herbie has to stay in place for three weeks. Irene offers to let a reluctant Morris visit as often as he wants. After he's left, Mrs. Benson reveals that she planted a hard-boiled egg as a means of hooking Irene and Morris up.

Morris starts dating Irene, and when the day comes, the fertile egg that Mrs. Benson acquired ends up hatching a baby turtle, causing Irene and Mrs. B to confess to what they've been up to. Irene gets a disillusioned Morris to stay by declaring that she loves him, and it looks like Herbie's found a new home with Mrs. B.

_______

For the record, I enjoyed the skating rink in its proper time and place...which was not making me miss The Incredible Hulk!

But a metaphorical baseball legend who'd been married to Hollywood's most iconic actress would have a regular TV commercial gig for years to come.

A country artist who had two crossover hits that oldies radio forgot. For the purposes of my collection, I'm happy to leave things that way.

Yeppity yep.

I saw something of vague interest in Decades' upcoming schedule...on the weekend of Oct. 8-9, they're going to binge a show that appears to be new to the Wiegel networks, The Best of Flip Wilson. Don't think I'm going to try to work that into my already packed 50th anniversary viewing season, but it should be worth putting on. It looks like Sullivan did guest appearances on the show.

17. RJDiogenes

Seems like they were everywhere in those days, and they all had that same terrible sound system. :rommie:

Egad! We're halfway there.

Well, that started early. Maybe it was an element from the movie, which I've never seen all the way through.

He was a man ahead of his time. :rommie:

But without animosity (unlike All In The Family), which is consistent with what I've read about Korea (and WWII). And the entire plot is about sending the Korean kid to medical school in the States. An interesting mix of elements going on there.

They should have had Klinger do it. That would have gotten him out of the Army. :rommie:

:rommie:

I remember that.

Was that disembodied head on the silver platter supposed to be Groucho?

That's great. Reminds me of the Reed and Malloy skit. I'll bet everybody but John Wayne had trouble keeping a straight face. :rommie:

All of the Moon rocks brought back since Apollo 1? :rommie:

Your host, Mister Roarke.

Doctor Pulaski, along with a couple of TOS characters.

"Check it for sabotage? Sure! Hold my beer!"

I assume this means beating him severely, and not checking him into rehab.

Sounds like a good episode, which I'm sure Montalban delivered on admirably.

It's fascinating to watch these advanced law enforcement techniques in action. :rommie:

Now he'll need the money for bail.

"Get away, fly" :rommie:

For crying out loud, Ed, Pete is probably the best guy in the State to get her hooked up with. :rommie:

Good grief. :rommie:

He's lucky he's in Adam-12 and not a 50s girl group song.

Never let it be said that Adam-12 wasn't prepared to deal with edgy topics.

Now there's another guy whose career is inexplicable, but he was a pretty good sport about it (no pun intended).

That must have been great. :rommie:

He was certainly good for America's vocabulary, that's for sure.

He was one of the most frequent targets of the Rich Little types. It's funny how there don't seem to be any celebrity impersonators around these days-- maybe it's because of the quality of the celebrities. :rommie:

Another LAS happy ending that should not be examined too closely.

It's amazing how many times people crawl in through windows on this show. :rommie:

Miss Emily.

Grampa! Playing what appears to be a totally irrelevant character.

Pretty bitter for a dude who came in through the window.

So much plotting and scheming, but all in the name of love. :rommie:

This guy doesn't sound like such a great catch to me. She went through a lot of effort for him.

And that is perfectly understandable. I guess. I never really enjoyed the skating rink. :rommie:

So that's where he's gone.

That should be good. He was always pretty funny. But, we still haven't gotten Decades back.

18. The Old Mixer

We're over 70 years from 1950.

To be joined in that department soon enough by the cast of Happy Days.

He's not even a character yet.

I'd considered crediting him as "(De Ricardo Montalban! De Ricardo Montalban!)," but that seemed a bit clumsy.

Yet her most noteworthy contribution to pop culture was falling down an elevator shaft on a legal show.

Ah, yes...hadn't realized the ambiguity there.

And Trek-noteworthy in pairing him with Muldaur.

Ah, I think I forgot to note the beat where he was released and expressed his gratitude to Malloy and Reed at the station.

Seriously...Joe Friday himself couldn't ask for a better prospective nephew-in-law.

I should have done some Sinatra family screencaps before I deleted the episode. Frank Jr. was definitely sporting a strong familial resemblance to his old man...which just makes the "perving on his sis" angle that much creepier.

I know you think of the early '60s as part of the '50s, but gotta get your facts straight in a case like this.

Indeed, he seems to have been a celebrity with a healthy self-awareness that he could appear in something like this. Even within the fiction of the episode, there were beats in which he welcomed the negative attention because it was good for his image.

When it comes to sports, I'm enough of a Felix that I couldn't have told you that the plays were described wrong, other than that it was obviously what they were going for.

It's amazing there are still comedians at all these days...they're certainly navigating minefields of cultural taboos.

Had to look that up...and it figures. :p

Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
  19. DarrenTR1970

When our local franchise went out of business sometime in the nineties, one was turned into a casino and the other a Harley Davidson dealership. Which makes sense in that they've got a lot of floor space for tables and motorcycles.

20. RJDiogenes

Math and math! What is math? Also-- oops.

I wonder if they'll ever release a digitally enhanced edition of Happy Days with all the anachronisms corrected. :rommie:

We heard his voice, so presumably he's running around in drag in the background somewhere.

But funny. :rommie:

I'm actually vaguely aware of that.

That's true.

Ah, that's nice.

I shudder, even without pics.

Einstein proved that time is subjective and dependent upon the relative position of the observer. Also-- oops.

I also recall him showing up on variety shows from time to time. Actually, as I type this, I seem to remember that he actually had a variety show.

I'm the same. :rommie:

Which is part of their job, so kudos to them for hanging in there through dark times.

I don't even know what's in the spot of my old skating rink these days. I very seldom go down that way. But if I remember, I'll swing around on Saturday morning on my way to Mom's and take a look.