The Classic/Retro Pop Culture Thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by The Old Mixer, Jan 11, 2016.

1. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

One of the most achingly beautiful songs ever written, IMO. “Change” not only captured perfectly the very serious and somber tone of the times, but was also closely associated with Sam’s untimely death.

Sam was a musical artist who actually did have a profound affect on the civil rights movement during his life and after his death. “Change” was used to incredible affect in Spike Lee’s Malcolm X as Malcolm is preparing to go to the Audubon Ballroom where he will die. Even if you don’t know the story, the sound of those mournful strings in the song’s intro just rips you to shreds.

The song’s melody, arrangement, and lyrics, have the kind of gravitas that will forever keep it as an integral link between a national movement that changed, and continues to change this country.

2. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Amazing. This was another album that I listened to endlessly as a child (giving my Mother some hope that the atheism thing would pass :rommie: ). Not just the incredibly clever and creative lyrics grabbed me, but the distinctive and diverse music throughout-- every song as catchy as a hit single.

I didn't think I'd know this, but I do-- I just never knew it was proto-Fleetwood Mac. It's good.

This is pretty good.

This is Creedence!

This is also Creedence!

Wow, that's pretty sweet. :bolian:

I think the only one that reaches that level is "Live And Let Die."

Sorry about that, but I appreciate it.

Not to mention the Second Molasses Disaster of 2061.

Yeah, it's a small quiet place for a bunch of really nice people, where you are certainly welcome (just give me warning, because I had to close registration due to the Bot Apocalypse).

I do, but it scares me. :rommie: I peeked in there before and found a torrent of fanboy slappy fights. But I'll go over and post my post when I'm done here.

I know, I have to find them. But it just aggravates me.

3. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Another major civil rights anthem, by different artists, will be coming our way in a couple of weeks.

:lol: I wasn't sure what you'd think of this one, given its subject matter!

Post-proto Mac also did it later, on a live album.

Kinda lightweight and unmemorable in my book, but we'll see if it grows on me.

They are indeed...from what will be their fifth album over a span of barely over two years...a rate at which acts just weren't releasing albums at this point. I've read some stuff about how Fogerty was pushing the band to capitalize on their success.

I'd put "Nobody Does It Better" up there.

It's actually been a remarkably well-behaved forum thus far...if crazy busy the last couple of days. I volunteered...! :crazy:

I was surprised that you didn't get an "OK, boomer!" for that first main paragraph! :p

4. RJDiogenes

As fiction, it's great, as well as culturally significant. I've used Christian mythology a few times in my own work.

Hmm, maybe that's where I actually know it from.

And with no loss of quality.

I don't really like that one. I thought the Bond movies really went off the rails after Man With The Golden Gun, until For Your Eyes Only.

That's a long freakin' thread.... :rommie:

Me, too. :rommie: Ideologues of any stripe don't like uncomfortable truths. Although I have seen more and more examples in the media and arts that the times they are a'changin' when it comes to Millennial culture-- not the least of which was Obama's recent speech.

5. The Old Mixer

_______

55th Anniversary Viewing

_______

12 O'Clock High
    "The Lorelei"
    Originally aired January 22, 1965
    Crowe has just assigned Col Royce (Rip Torn) as Savage's new deputy group commander--primarily for evaluation purposes, to determine if he's ready to lead his own group--when the Lorelei lands and nobody gets out. Kaiser finds everyone inside dead, and guesses that the pilot must have died right after landing. The ground crew determine that the plane can fly again with some repairs, and Royce is assigned to command her against his protests. He renames the plane the Four-Leaf Clover, and we see him rubbing a rabbit's foot during his first bombing run on her.

The bombing run goes well, but the flight controls jam afterwar, just as the Luftwaffe attacks. The plane's path takes it into some cloud cover and the crew eventually manages to regain control. On the ground, Royce gives his bombardier (Bruce Dern) a talking-to for treating the plane like it has a mind of its own. Dern points out to him how the bomber's original name is now showing through the Four-Leaf Clover insignia. Royce requests being assigned to another craft, but Savage denies it. On the next run the bomb release malfunctions, delaying long enough to cause the whole group to drop on the wrong spot.

During Royce's next mission, Mrs. Royce (Diana van der Vlis) has dinner with Savage, trying to intervene on her husband's behalf because Royce can tell that Savage doesn't like him. Mrs. Royce provides some awkward exposition about how Col. Royce is warm and sensitive and everybody else loves him. Savage goes back to base to learn that Royce didn't lead his mission because he was sick, and another man died in his place. He's trying to get to the bottom of things when Crowe pops in to micromanage the situation as usual. It turns out that Crowe had to ground Royce when he wouldn't stay on the ground because of food poisoning. In his office, Savage shares his belief with Crowe that Royce's superstition is only a symptom. He thinks that Royce has enjoyed too many advantages and won't hold up when things get really tough.

On the next mission, Royce has to abort because of two engines failing. The bombs won't release, and the colonel has the crew bail against Savage's instructions. Now unmanned, the Lorelei flies on over England with a full bomb load. Savage and Cobb go after her in the Lily, catching up over Liverpool. Once the rogue bomber is over water, he has his gunners blow her to smithereens.

The Epilog finds Royce heading for a temporary desk job. It's unclear what's in store for him after that, but Crowe has apologized to Savage and Royce says that his time with the 918th has been instructive.

It definitely seems like the show was falling into a formula by this point--Savage has to deal with an unlikeable guest officer with issues, Crowe intervenes in a way that counters Savage's better judgment. In this case, I'm not sure that the situation really got any on-camera resolution...Royce's story just sort of ended for us.

Royce's co-pilot is recognizable two-time Trek guest Barry Russo.

_______

Gilligan's Island
    "Little Island, Big Gun"
    Originally aired January 23, 1965
    The first sign of Jackson Farrell's (Storch) presence on the island is when Gilligan smells bacon. He subsequently runs into Farrell while gathering dates by shooting them down from trees with a bow and arrow. Farrell initially claims to be a shipwrecked doctor who was headed for an island with natives. It's a bit of a stretch that everyone else buys his story, even the Professor.

Gilligan hears a radio report about Farrell, and is in the process of trying to covertly warn the others when everyone hears another broadcast. Farrell ties the men up on their...cots? What happened to the hammocks? They escape and make some unsuccessful attempts to get the upper hand on their captor. A rival mob comes looking for Farrell, so he has the castaways dress as natives while holding Mary Ann hostage. The ruse works, and Farrell's partner comes back for him. Thanks to Gilligan, the loot bag falls into the lagoon and gets chopped up by the boat's motor. With Farrell's gun waterlogged after his attempt to save the money, the hoods find themselves having to escape from the angry castaways.

The coda has Gilligan gluing the fragments of the money together into "one long million-dollar bill".

_______

So it looks like the Weigel networks will be undergoing some weekend lineup changes starting February 8-9. H&I will have a war show block on Saturday nights, which will include Black Sheep Squadron, Tour of Duty, Combat!, The Rat Patrol, and 12 O'Clock High. They'll also be doing something like their old Comic Book Heroes block on Sunday morning/afternoon, which includes bringing over Wonder Woman. This made me check MeTV's schedule, and sure enough, after several years they're taking Wonder Woman out of their Saturday night lineup. What will be taking its place? More Three Stooges--looks like they'll be airing it for two hours now!

On H&I, the Big Three will be airing back-to-back-to-back again, starting at 11 a.m.: Adventures of Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. Superman, Batman, and The Green Hornet will also be maintaining their current H&I slots on Saturday and Sunday mornings.

6. RJDiogenes

No puncture wounds on their necks? Rip off!

I'm surprised they didn't use this one on Halloween.

I think it would have been better to really explore how superstition affects people in wartime and combat situations.

Now there's a tense situation.

It's a stretch that anyone would believe anything Larry Storch said, ever. He was a great guest star for this show. :rommie:

Why that dirty--!

A work of modern art that even Mr Howell could appreciate. :rommie:

Yikes. That's not good, and also weird-- I wonder if MeTV was taken by surprise. There's been nothing in their emails about schedule changes. Two hours of Three Stooges is a lot, especially since the show really is out of their usual wheelhouse. I wonder if it's getting better ratings than Wild Wild West did, or if they're just getting paid a lot to air it.

7. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Despite using the last week of Christ's life as its story, the song and musical was so loose with the historical/spiritual account that it was as far removed from truth as The Untouchables TV series was from the real (and far less adventurous) career of Eliot Ness. Songs referencing Jesus's life, mission, or belief in Him which were far more effective were Norman Greenbaum's 1969 hit "Spirit in the Sky" (despite the fact Greenbaum was Jewish by belief) or The Doobie Brothers' cover of "Jesus Is Just Alright" (1972), ever the listenable song.

Crap, crap and more crap!

That song was on fire. Instant classic.

Good song, but not one I revisit often.

I've always felt that those who associated the song with his death were just absorbing the tragedy and song--sort of conflating their meanings, when one had nothing to do with the other in any way, even as a hint of what his fate would be.

Personally, I've felt Nina Simone's "Mississippi Goddamn" (1964) & The (SNCC) Freedom Singers' "In the Mississippi River" (1965) were far stronger comments on what was one of the most significant "ground zero" locations/targets of the Movement. Because of its incredibly powerful senate-to-local authority-to-average-white-citizen smothering, violent enforcement of what has been accurately described as "American Apartheid," so many horrifying events took place there, paralleled with major events such as Freedom Summer--both capturing the attention of the nation--and many nations around the world.

Those songs just paint the cold, brutal, disheartening truth of a region that could not stay out of the news, or even avoid the begruding attention of the federal government.

8. The Old Mixer

_______

50th Anniversary Viewing (Part 1)

_______

Mission: Impossible
    "The Falcon: Part 3"
    Originally aired January 18, 1970
    As the episode commences, Fake Nicolai plants the list in the safe and slips away in time, as expected. Vargas finds his name on the list as Vinsky told him.

At the prison, Jim commences his fake interrogation of Prince Stephan, and Sabattini is called back to the palace by Vargas before Jim has obtained any fake results. Meanwhile, a simulated gas leak and some phone-patching trickery has gotten Barney into the prison as the gas man. A more-extended-than-usual sneaking around and breaking into places sequence ensues. Well into his truly unsuccessful fake questioning, Jim whispers his true motives in Stephan's ear, but Stephan loudly refuses to believe him before Jim convinces him to just keep his mouth shut. As the fake interrogation continues, Stephan begins to see bits of Jim's plan coming together...like Barney drilling a hole from the other side of a wall to extend a device behind an archway where the guards can't see it.

Buccaro has a clock delivered to (Fake) Nicolai that's really a bomb meant to kill him and Sabattini. Vinsky learns of it and is emphatic that Nicolai must live. They keep us hanging for a commercial break as Vargas tries to call Buccaro to cancel his manual triggering of the device...and surprisingly, the device actually gets triggered! It was a lousy assassination attempt, as both Fake Nicolai and Sabattini survive...but in the aftermath of the explosion, Paris is unmasked. Tracey slips away and gets a phone call to Jim at the prison to let him know everything's gone to hell. Jim in turn calls Willy to cut off communication lines to the prison while he also distracts the guards and remotely deploys the projection curtain gimmick (consisting of vertical blinds) that was demonstrated in Part 1's briefing and included in this week's recap, which makes it look like Jim is interrogating Stephan while they work at their escape from behind the curtain.

Having learned that Francesca isn't in her tomb, Sabattini attempts to question Paris and Tracey and begins to put it all together, ultimately realizing that Jim is working with them and plans to free Stephan. Sabattini heads for the prison despite his injury, and Paris signals Willy to release his secret weapon: Lucifer! Heading straight for Paris's device, with the help of an open window he attacks one of the guards and Paris overpowers his captors.

Meanwhile Barney has managed to cut a hole in the wall between the shaft and Stephan's cell, despite regular interruptions from the elevator, during which he has to stand very snug against the wall on his tiny ledge (you know he loves it). But as Sabattani's elevator comes down, one of Stephan's cut chains snags on something, so he and Jim have to flatten themselves underneath the car. Sabattini tries to shoot Rear Projection Jim and eventually hits the projector in Jim's briefcase. Inspecting behind the curtain, Sabattini succumbs to his injuries. In the meantime, Barney, Jim, and Stephan blow their way out via charges that Barney had set earlier and get picked up by Willy in his gas van. Paris and Tracey manage to make their rendezvous with the van, and we find the trio they were trying to rescue--Nicolai, Stephan, and Francesca--reunited in the back of the Willymobile. Mission: Accomplished.

I have to say, that may have been the best "unforeseen kink in the plan" moment yet. The last 20 minutes were pretty damn good.

_______

Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In
    Season 3, episode 18
    Originally aired January 19, 1970
    This week's Quickies:

Ernestine calls a "Mr. Milhous":

The News intro song is stripper-themed.

The Fickle Finger of Fate goes to the Farmers Home Administration:

A salute to women:

Not sure what the painting theme is about here.

_______

TGs4e17.jpg
    "That Metermaid"
    Originally aired January 22, 1970
    It turns out that Donald's New Boss of the Week, Lewis M. Franks (Dennis Weaver), is very casually friendly with Ann...going back to when she met him five years ago when she was still living in...Fenwick? This is now said to be where the Maries lived before they moved to Brewster. Never mind that we know she went to high school in Brewster. I'm sure there were plenty of other references that linked her childhood to Brewster and the family's home there, and I'll certainly be on the lookout for them in the future. I suspect that they just made up another town (which appears to be completely fictional...and looks like it's in California) to avoid any problems with the real Brewster in New York state, given what the story gets into.

In her flashback story, Ann is so reluctant to write out her first ticket that puts another coin in herself. She's more eager to call a tow truck for a car parked in front of a hydrant. But it turns out to be the mayor's car, so the police don't want to cooperate with her. Ann gets all worked up when she learns about the corruption in the system that lets all levels of city officials get out of tickets...then she gets fired and takes her story to the local weekly paper, which Lewis publishes. He prints her letter to the editor, which gets Mr. Marie in hot water, though he stands up for her. The paper also loses a major sponsor, a department store that the mayor owns. Ann forces her way into the mayor's (Tol Avery) office to confront him about the matter.

Supposedly Mr. Marie's Fenwick restaurant subsequently went out of business and that's why they moved to Brewster. And the mayor is said to have gotten voted out of office in the next election.

In the present, Ann, Donald, and Lewis decide to go to lunch and Ann makes a comment that if Donald's buying, there's a nice little hamburger place they could go to!

"Oh, Donald" count: 0
    "Oh, Daddy" count: 2
    "Oh, Lewis" count: 1
    "Oh, Mr. Franks" count: 1

_______

Ironside
    "Beware the Wiles of a Stranger"
    Originally aired January 22, 1970
    Candy (ex-"the movie star" Tina Louise) is working as a cocktail waitress in a gambling den that gets robbed. It turns out that she's actually an accomplice, and tasked with finding "a body" to take the fall for the robbery. She's subsequently picked up while hitchhiking by Mark, who's heading back to Frisco from somewhere.

Mark and Candy have trouble getting checked into a hotel together even though they're asking for separate rooms; and more trouble getting waited on in a coffee shop. Meanwhile, a couple of mob types from the group who were robbed are on their tail--the actual robber, Fred (John Ericson), who was wearing a mask for the robbery, and Bryce (former substitute Artie Charles Aldman). They're waiting in Candy's hotel room when Mark and Candy return from a day of shopping.

The plan had been to make it look like Mark was the robber, but alone with Fred, Candy seems to be having second thoughts about it. Mark overpowers Bryce and he and Candy make a break. Mark calls the Ironsidecave--a full halfway into the episode, which is the first we see of the rest of the team. Pretty sure they haven't done that before. The pair continue running, and Mark has by this point figured that she was setting him up, noting how she went out of her way to draw attention to the two of them everywhere they went. She shares with him that the plan was for Fred to send him over a cliff in a burning car. Bryce tagging along with Fred was an unanticipated complication, so he now plans to off him in the same crash. Mark figures that Fred was planning to off Candy as well so he wouldn't have to split the money. When Fred and Bryce find them, Mark tries to tell Bryce what the score is. Bryce listens, so Fred tries to pull a gun and gets himself shot. The loot is retrieved but Bryce wants to take Mark and Candy to his boss so he can decide what to do with them.

The Chief doesn't make the scene until the last quarter of the episode. Liaising with local law enforcement, he finds Fred's body. When Bryce, Mark, and Candy arrive at the boss's gambling den, the Chief and the police are there, having found the place with the help of a long-distance call that had been made from the hotel. Mark won't help Candy cover for her role in the affair, but Ironside thinks they'll go easy on her for turning state's evidence.

The front credits are back and Louise and Aldman are in them. William Boyett appears uncredited as a policeman blocking a closed road.

_______

A Black Sheep episode did something like that. IIRC, it was an episode about a pilot nobody wanted to fly with because he had a reputation for being a jinx. There was a scene that had Pappy pointing out the good luck charms that everyone was carrying with them.

The Three Stooges will gradually consume more and more of Me's schedule until it becomes ThreeTV.

You should have said: "The Crapper".

9. gblews

True, in fact I think Change had been released sometime before Sam’s death. The reason it’s related to his death by some, is probably because of the the song’s melancholy beauty, IMO.

But just like MLK’s anointing of the gospel tune, Free at Last, which is a song about being freed from sin by Jesus, as a civil rights anthem in hsI Have a Dream speech, sometimes songs do get associated with people or events with whom they have no real connection.
    I also agree that there were and are, some great and very powerful civil rights anthems, songs like Mississippi Goddamn, and Nina Simone, in particular. But she and Sam were playing in different sandboxes. In addition to being as stylistically different as two artists could be, with Nina as far from being mainstream as Sam was a mainstream ico, Nina could afford to be as strident and direct as she wanted. Sam and others in pop music, had to couch their messages in metaphor and dance grooves, but the messages were the same.

TREK_GOD_1 likes this.
  10. RJDiogenes

Go, Lucifer! He should have been made a regular, too.

:rommie:

When you subtract all the recaps and everything, this probably comes out to a movie-length story. It's kind of surprising that they didn't release it as a movie, like they did with Man From UNCLE.

There's a notable lack of video here.

Modern art? They seem to be having fun, anyway. :rommie:

Retcon!

A rare episode that makes Mr Marie look good.

Only to discover that the mayor and his staff are the vanguard of an alien invading force. After several hours strapped into the Brain-O-Tron, she is allowed to leave, her memories of the incident forever erased.

Ah, a rare appearance by that actress who was too good for Gilligan's Island. :D

It's a Mark solo adventure!

She was sentenced to three years solitary confinement on a deserted island.

I'm sure there was a ton of stuff like that.

At least we'll have a better chance of seeing Shemp episodes. I wonder if tomorrow's email will say anything.

11. The Old Mixer

_______

50th Anniversary Viewing (Part 2)

_______

Get Smart
    "Rebecca of Funny-Folk Farm"
    Originally aired January 23, 1970
    In the teaser, Max calls the Chief from his plane on a balloon phone, which he has to blow up to use.

Max and 99 get involved in a half-baked, weird murder mystery. The Chief and Larabee eventually show up, and Larabee saves the day when he accidentally knocks the killer down the stairs.

Max directly addresses that he doesn't know 99's name. Seems pretty unlikely when they're married, living together, and have had children, but whatever.

_______

The Brady Bunch
    "The Undergraduate"
    Carol thinks that Greg must be sick when he doesn't go to the movies with the other boys. Then Greg has to show Mike a math test that he flunked. Following that, he tries to talk to Marcia about how girls think about things. This includes a pretty cute scene where she's describing traits of various celebrities--Steve McQueen, Gene Barry, Paul Newman, Dustin Hoffman, and Dean Martin--and Greg does a non-verbal imitation of each while she's not looking. His ultimate takeaway from the exchange is that he needs to grow a mustache, but biology isn't on his side for that one yet.

Light is shed on the situation when Alice finds a love letter in Greg's laundry to a Linda, quoting Shakespeare and Robert Burns. Carol looks through Greg's annual but can't find a Linda in his class. We get the final piece of the puzzle when we find Greg mooning over his math teacher while staying after school. His mind clearly isn't on what she's trying to teach him.

Mike tries to have a man-to-man talk and, when he broaches the subject of girls, Greg thinks that he's trying to have "that talk"...and this time we're told that Greg and Peter have had it separately, and Bobby hasn't yet. Marcia brings some classmates home to work on a project and one of them happens to be named Linda, so Carol thinks that's the one, but when Greg comes home, there's no reaction. A letter from Greg's math teacher finally shines light on the situation for the parents. Mike goes to the school to talk to her...

Miss O'Hara: Well something's wrong, I'm just not getting through to him.
    Mike: Oh, you're getting through to him alright.​

Mike finds out about O'Hara's fiancé, who's waiting for her outside, before he even gets around to telling her what the situation is. He immediately goes out to enlist Wes's aid, which is successful, as hero worship displaces Greg's crush.

In the coda, Carol finds Greg in his room daydreaming about his substitute teacher in biology, whom he's a lot more immediately open about to serve the gag.

This was a pretty cute episode overall, though the solution to Greg's issue seemed a little too easy and contrived.

_______

Hogan's Heroes
    "The Softer They Fall"
    Klink enlists Kinch's help to be Bruno's (Chuck Hicks) sparring partner in preparation for an upcoming stalag championship. The prisoners learn of a classified plan to knock out British radar that's being worked on at the Stalag, so in order to steal intel, they have to arrange a distraction. They have Kinch knock out Bruno in one of their sparring matches while Klink and Burkhalter are present, which motivates the general to arrange a real fight between them to prove that a German can beat an African American. Burkhalter specifically references that Kinch is black and compares the situation to Jesse Owens at the 1936 Olympics.

Going into the fight, Kinch's main concern is stringing out his victory long enough to achieve their objective. But as advertised, Burkhalter wants to make sure they win, so he has Bruno put metal knuckle-guards in his gloves. Now Kinch actually has to worry about staying in the fight long enough. Meanwhile, Carter's manipulating the volume on the sound system so that the guards listening from outside get closer to the speakers while LeBeau does his thing. Kinch manages to knock out Bruno despite his handicap, but Hogan forfeits the fight, expressing concern for what will happen to Kinch after Bruno gets back up...which he doesn't.

At one point, Hogan sarcastically refers to his men as "Hogan's Cowards". This is the first time I've seen the show's title referenced in-setting, but I didn't start at the beginning.

Carry on.

_______

Adam-12
    "Log 14: S.W.A.T."
    Originally aired January 24, 1970
    The episode opens with Reed and Malloy rushing onto the scene of a backlot rooftop sniper incident. Ducking low in the car, they drive up to a wounded man, get him into the car on the side facing away from the sniper, and get him around a corner where an ambulance takes him. Then a motorcycle cop with a broken radio drives onto the street and gets wounded, but is rescued with the help of a brave citizen who pulls him off the street, Ron Thompson (Adam Wade). MacDonald makes the scene and sets up a command post, quickly determining that he'll use S.W.A.T. teams to deal with the situation. In the meantime, the officers evacuate the tenants of the apartments across the street from the sniper, who include a boy who goes into the street after his dog and a woman who was shot in her apartment.

S.W.A.T. leader Sgt. Baron (Lew Brown) arrives, and it's established that Reed and Malloy have trained with him, so they suit up and join his team. A reporter also arrives and gives MacDonald an opportunity to deliver some exposition about Special Weapons And Tactics teams for the benefit of the audience. Thompson recognizes the sniper as an acquaintance of his called John Kursko (Thomas Bellin), a disgruntled former employee of the theater whose roof he's been shooting from. Baron sends a sniper of his own to the roof of another building and, with the help of smoke grenades and noisemaking fireworks, two three-man S.W.A.T. teams climb up to the rooftop where the sniper is. Malloy tries to talk down Kursko while Reed sneaks up on him. The officers tackle and cuff him.

They've used this backlot before, but it's so obviously fake that at the beginning, I was expecting the sniper incident to be a training exercise.

_______

Wait'll you see this week's guest agent. The IMF is becoming a trained animal act....

Only for lack of being able to find the clip. It was, of course, very tame...a mere suggestion of a striptease act.

He tends to have those moments where we see that he's ultimately motivated by his love for his daughter. I don't always mention them.

12. RJDiogenes

I'm just proud of her for not changing her name to Ninety-Smart.

The title is a spoof of the movie The Graduate.

Ah, Mrs Williams. Seventh Grade French. That cleavage would probably be considered child molestation these days.

It's The Brady Bunch. Easy and contrived is the name of the game. :rommie:

Because all the other meeting space has been reserved again.

Personally, I suspected as much.

Which is kind of amazing for Hogan's Heroes.

I remember this. Pretty exciting for Adam-12.

Ah, so he's just acting out.

"Computer, end simulation."

Groovy! I want to see dolphins, apes, and elephants!

As long as Teresa was involved.

Oh, well that's nice.

13. The Old Mixer

Wouldn't that be 96?

:lol:

If it is, it doesn't usually make itself so obvious.

That took a second reading.

Me has caught up to where I'm at with Adam-12, so I've now deleted my Cozi recordings and am rerecording them from Me, hoping that the syndication editing will be a bit better. As a bonus, it temporarily gains me some DVR space.

Where I left off with Dragnet is about to start recording on Friday as well.

You'll have to settle for something a little more domestic. Meet the title character of "Chico":
    MI32.jpg
    He's no Eartha Kitt, but seeing him belly-crawl through a ventilation shaft is pretty darn cute.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  14. RJDiogenes

Good point. Marrying Max is kind of a demotion. :rommie:

:D

Chico is da man! :bolian:

15. The Old Mixer

55 Years Ago This Week

Selections from Billboard's Hot 100 for the week:

Leaving the chart:
    • "Amen," The Impressions (11 weeks)
    • "Any Way You Want It," The Dave Clark Five (12 weeks)
    • "Sha La La," Manfred Mann (12 weeks)
    • "She's a Woman," The Beatles (9 weeks)

New on the chart:

"Midnight Special," Johnny Rivers

(#20 US)

"Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood," The Animals

(#15 US; #3 UK; #315 on Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time)

"Come Home," The Dave Clark Five

(#14 US; #16 UK)

"Hurt So Bad," Little Anthony & The Imperials

(#10 US; #3 R&B)

"Ferry Cross the Mersey," Gerry & The Pacemakers

(#6 US; #8 UK)

And new on the boob tube:
    • Branded, "The Vindicator"
    • 12 O'Clock High, "To Heinie, with Love"
    • Gilligan's Island, "Gilligan Meets Jungle Boy"

16. gblews

One of the prettiest and best songs to come out of the first wave of the British Invasion. I understand that the song has become somewhat of an anthem for the city of Liverpool. Nice anthem.
    “Jamal David!” I remember this show. I think it may have been the first, or one of th first, westerns to feature a black actor in a lead role.

17. The Old Mixer

Chuck Connors...? :confused:

18. RJDiogenes

A great song, whoever does it.

Also a goodie.

I don't think I've ever heard this. It's okay.

Classic.

I love this song. I love it for the title alone. :lol:

19. The Old Mixer

50 Years Ago This Week

Selections from Billboard's Hot 100 for the week:

Leaving the chart:
    • "Ain't It Funky Now (Part 1)," James Brown (11 weeks)
    • "Cold Turkey," Plastic Ono Band (12 weeks)
    • "Come Together" / "Something", The Beatles (16 weeks)
    • "Down on the Corner" / "Fortunate Son", Creedence Clearwater Revival (15 weeks)
    • "Evil Woman, Don't Play Your Games with Me," Crow (15 weeks)
    • "Holly Holy," Neil Diamond (14 weeks)
    • "La La La (If I Had You)," Bobby Sherman (11 weeks)
    • "Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye," Steam (16 weeks)
    • "She," Tommy James & the Shondells (8 weeks)
    • "Up on Cripple Creek," The Band (14 weeks)

New on the chart:

"Do the Funky Chicken," Rufus Thomas
    (#28 US; #5 R&B; #18 UK)

"Never Had a Dream Come True," Stevie Wonder
    (#26 US; #31 AC; #11 R&B; #6 UK)

"Shilo," Neil Diamond
    (#24 US; #8 AC)

"Call Me," Aretha Franklin
    (#13 US as double A-side w/ "Son of a Preacher Man"; #1 R&B)

"Son of a Preacher Man," Aretha Franklin
    (#13 US as double A-side w/ "Call Me")

"The Bells," The Originals

(#12 US; #4 R&B)

"Easy Come, Easy Go," Bobby Sherman

(#9 US; #2 AC)

"Come and Get It," Badfinger

(#7 US; #4 UK; written by Paul McCartney)

"House of the Rising Sun," Frijid Pink

(#7 US; #4 UK)

"Bridge over Troubled Water," Simon & Garfunkel

(#1 US the weeks of Feb. 28 through Apr. 4, 1970; #1 AC; #1 UK; #1 song on Billboard's 1970 Year-End Chart of Pop Singles; 1971 Grammy Award for Record of the Year; #47 on Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time)

And new on the boob tube:
    • The Ed Sullivan Show, Season 22, episode 19, featuring Jackie DeShannon and Gwen Verdon
    • Mission: Impossible, "Gitano"
    • Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In, Season 3, episode 20
    • That Girl, "Ugh, Wilderness"
    • Ironside, "The Wrong Time, the Wrong Place"
    • Get Smart, "Witness for the Execution"
    • The Brady Bunch, "The Big Sprain"
    • Adam-12, "Log 54: Impersonation"

_______

I could definitely come up with some less whitebread versions.

Ah, now this definitely sounds like 1965!

I have this, but it's still completely obscure to me.

To put it mildly.

It's alright. Good British Invasion vibe.

20. gblews

Chuck Connors was black? :eek: :)
    I was a pretty big fan of Simon and Garfunkel back in the day, Paul Simon’s songs in particular. He’s also one my all time fav guitarists. His finger picking style was next level.

Saw them live at one of their reunion shows at Dodger Stadium back in the 80’s. Art Garfunkel sang the shit out of “Bridge.” I didn’t know he had it like that, vocally, He really brought the house down.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020