The Borg are tactically stupid

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Lookingglassman, Jun 1, 2018.

1. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

So far there have only been two times the Borg sent a cube to Earth for assimilation, and both times were defeated by means that were at the time very out of the blue (Data hacking the collective via Locutus, de-borged Picard still having a certain connection that allows him to find a cube's weak point).

I think after two times the Borg will have learned not to take any more chances and send more than one. That's assuming they really think Earth is that vital enough to send two, otherwise they'll just let it be until new developments turn up that changes their mind.

2. Herbert

Herbert Commodore Commodore

"Tactics? What are tactics to Borg?" - Dr Doom (after assimilation by the borg)

Jinn likes this.
  3. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Borg want civilizations to evolve to counter them. They thrive on "anti-Borg" technology being developed and instituted. Their policy, at least in regards to the bigger polities like the Federation and probably the Romulans, is to send out sacrificial cubes to push them to develop these "out-of-the-box" techniques and countermeasures, which they are incapable of conceiving on their own.

That way, when they inevitably conquer their foe, they are smarter, stronger, and closer to perfection.

4. Herbert

Maybe the borg need to travel back in time to 19th century and assimilate Carl von Clausewitz.

5. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Given what Admiral janeway did to them ... good plan.

Greysun likes this.
  6. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Going by the events of the novelverse, all Admiral Janeway did was piss them off.

7. Herbert

That's an interesting idea

Tim Thomason likes this.
  8. SpyOne

SpyOne Captain Captain

No, the point is that if you are that massive German force and the US keeps sending one tank at a time at you, your probable reaction would be, "Well, since Eisenhower isn't an idiot, he clearly isn't trying to defeat us. So what is he doing?"

So why assume the Borg tried the exact same plan to conquer the Federation twice, when logically they would have adapted after seeing it fail the first time? Why not consider that conquest wasn't in fact the goal, and both missions did what they were intended to do?

9. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

UFP provides a buffer zone between Borg systems and the Dominion, as well, who they may already share one front with, and have no interest in opening another. The Federation is the most advanced political entity in their area and the one most like Borg in many ways, making them easier to comprehend. It makes sense the Borg sent a couple of sorties after then, once they were made prematurely aware of Starfleet, but there's no sign in the shows that anything similar happened to the other Alpha quadrant powers. The Borg aren't in any hurry.

10. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Going off Voyager's final episode, it's possible that Janeway's actions destroyed the entire collective.

Sophie74656 and johnnybear like this.
  11. Herbert

This makes the most sense to me. Why should the Borg have a sense of urgency. If any group can play the long game, it's them. And really, who knows what their motivations are?

12. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

Their long, benevolent actions to defend our galaxy from the Kelvan Empire for the greater good.

Tim Thomason likes this.
  13. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good theory but considering the Kelvan Empire hasn't been heard of in any later Treks may be because they have become extinct due to the high radiation levels in the Andromeda galaxy? And yes I know it takes three hundred years at their super speeds to reach here and didn't the Federation send a message of peace to them at the end of By Any Other Name?
    JB

14. Herbert

I have no idea what you're talking about. Fan fiction? Novelverse? comic books? Some obscure blogger's theories? Fevered fan rantings on TrekBBS? Help a guy out here. :lol:

By the way, the Borg may be tactically stupid but it is tacitly agreed upon that they are not tactilely stupid.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  15. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

joke

Herbert likes this.
  16. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

I was thinking this same scenario. I honestly think it is the most likely one, especially considering the Borg can really go pretty much ANYWHERE in the galaxy at almost any time, assimilate worlds, ans keep going. They really should have already completely assimilated the Milky Way at this point. One likely scenario for why they haven't is exactly what was stated above, because once they finish this galaxy, there are other galaxies and other dimensions.

I've always wondered if the Borg ever tried to send cubes to other galaxies.

Tim Thomason likes this.
  17. Sophie74656

Sophie74656 Commodore Commodore

The last canon thing we saw was the Queen falling apart. Seemed like if they weren't completwky destroyed then they at least took a MAJOR hit

18. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Not if they can essentially create a Queen any time they care to.

19. Sophie74656

Sophie74656 Commodore Commodore

My assumption is that the queen is a program that chooses a drone to embody the queen. That's why we see another queen after first contact. Its possible the virus affected that program

Longinus and XCV330 like this.
  20. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the joke is loosely based on the old Star Wars Legends theory that Emperor Palpatine was building up the Empire in order to combat an invasion from the Yuuzhan Vong (Star Wars extragalactic baddies that showed up in the novels set 20 years after the original movies). That, like the Emperor, the Borg have a benevolent motive in their bloodthirsty buildup of power.

I'm not buying it though. I take them at face value that they're just aiming to be perfect. If they're aware of the Kelvans, then they probably sent a couple Cubes to Andromeda to test them out.