The BORG, and the Lost potential

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by STEPhon IT, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When I asked about the time zone, I meant that literally.

Whether or not those other examples are sexist is not relevant.

The character was established, popular, and so adapted to the Voyager storyline. Since Voyager had a Borg main character, it made sense to bring her back. Perhaps the upcoming Voyager reboot should introduce a Borg king to quell this new criticism.

There's a reasonable answer to all this that is readily available: Villains who happen to be female are not examples of sexism(or misogyny). This is the kind of thing that makes words like sexist lose all meaning.

The Borg Queen is some sort of protocol for the Borg who is assembled when a nonborg person is interacting with them. It seems she can be assembled anywhere, since she is destroyed in all 4 appearances(actually 5, if you include BoBW). If anything it is the Borg Queen who is asexual.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  2. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

If the Borg Queen was supposed to come off as asexual, I don't think it worked very well. :p

STEPhon IT likes this.
  3. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not in FC, but in all her other appearances, she's pretty devoid of sexuality

4. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Commodore Commodore

One would think Jeri Taylor who wrote an interesting asexual episode like "The Outcast" could gear her writing staff how to write the Borg? Voyager could've explored the Borg's asexual nature and why it would be important to choose a sex or not... maybe being asexual is as unique and wonderful as a female or a male? But Voyager seemed to be too stuck on TNG-lite, Data episodes like the Doctor wanting a family or falling in love with a female Data of the show 7 of 9. Star Trek pushing certain stories has been benchmark for it's franchise, sad I haven't seen that for a very long time.

5. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Are we talking about asexuality or androgyny? Because "The Outcast" was about the latter, not the former.

6. STEPhon IT

I was thinking Soren's therapy made her/him asexual by the end of the story.

7. STEPhon IT

I mentioned on another thread about Star trek Generations missing a huge opportunity not showing the destruction of the El Aurian world by the Borg to lift the backstory of Guinan and of course the villain of the piece Soran. There were evidence to the Borg's aftermath where it appeared landscapes from cities were ripped out of the ground, I could only relate my imagination to Unicron in Transformers. I would like to know what you would visualize the Borg does to a technological world or city and their methods of doing it? Could a Cube simply enter a world's atmosphere and start the horror from there?