The bias of Midnights Edge....

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Infern0, Dec 20, 2018.

1. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

I can only assume they trapped him somewhere. :rommie: AND they knew if they tried to lead him down the road to bullshit he'd call them out or walk away...........

2. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wouldn’t compare TrekYards to the other two, they’re nothing alike.

DaveyNY likes this.
  3. KennyB

Meh

Pindar likes this.
  4. Tuskin38

Yes I get annoyed at their DSC bashing (don’t be shocked). But their non-DSC ship videos are good. Very informative. Especially if they have on someone like Andrew Probert or Doug Drexler to talk about the ship

They do good work when it isn’t something 100% opinionated.

But they’re no where on the level of midnights edge and doomcock.

And they actually give DSC a fair chance, they watched all the episodes and are even currently rewatching them as a lead up to S2.

5. KennyB

They talked huge shit about it prior to its premier.....then walked it back quite a lot. And I am not a fan of them asking for subscribers to pay for their convention trips.........but if you got money to burn......whateves

Pindar likes this.
  6. Tuskin38

I’m not giving them money.

KennyB likes this.
  7. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    Ummmnnn...
    I'm a 'nobody' and I need a new used car...
    Maybe I should start a "Go Fund Me" page.
    :)

saddestmoon, BillJ and KennyB like this.
  8. NeoStar9

NeoStar9 Commander Red Shirt

Didn't used to be. They've been slowly moving in that direction though. A general dislike isn't what is being called out here. One can not like the show. It's the toxic aspect that gets reinforced and pushed that is the problem. They're not in the same place as those other two but their on the same side of the line.

I think their ship coverage is good and they put in the work there. I'm not taking that from them. They just have no business though analyzing anything outside of that. What I noticed during their Discovery videos is a serious lack of comprehension skills to judge many things. This is something not everyone is good at but when one has already pre-determined something you will look for elements to justify those normally negative impressions. Especially if its something they're not knowledgeable about. They completely misread dialogue and scenes to fit something they already assumed or believed should be happening instead of what is actually happening. That in turns leads them to misinterpret other things and then blame the show for bad writing, etc. There is a number of things regarding the female characters in the show (and there are a good number of them) that ended up like that I feel.

With their ship content they're looking at physical objects. What you see is what you're going to talk about. The more specs you have and models you have the more detail you can talk about. When it comes to talking about character motivation, emotions, the hows and whys a character is doing something, saying something, etc they're not at all qualified and shouldn't be talking about this stuff let along judging it and making a determination that their viewers are going to latch on to. I have held that many people that claim to be reviewers or critics shouldn't be doing that either and I've felt this way for years as far back as my English and literature classes.

It's a problem I have with people that try to review things right after watching it. They're not paying attention and absorbing the content the way one normally would. They're so busy trying to get out ahead of the show they're not paying attention to what is actually happening in the show. The guy Sean Chandler on youtube is horrific about that. Getting tons of things factual wrong in his desire to get reviews up from him and sister. If you claimed to have just finished watching and you can't remember the name of a character or location that was just on screen right before the credits rolled don't bother critiquing anything.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    Pindar, KennyB and Lord Garth like this.
  9. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I want to build a border wall. ;)

Pindar and BillJ like this.
  10. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    Heh...
    That particular fund is destined to be mismanaged right into The Donald's pocket one way or another.
    :rolleyes:

11. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

It's not just DSC that has these kinds of videos. Because I've watched the Doctor Who season 11 trailers I now get a bunch of recommendations for videos about why the show is supposedly dying and all the other idiotic rumors. I've never watched any Midnight's Edge videos or these Doctor Who related ones, but I do wonder if they're the same person since they have such similar audiences.

12. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Here's a question: What does Midnight's Edge like? More specifically, what do they like that's come out since 2000? Do they have a slant in favor of anything current (or recent) out there or is it all against, against, against?

13. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

To be fair, the majority of us talked shit about STD at the start. :)

14. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Maybe so. But still. What's the Current New Thing they think everything should be like? Assuming it even exists.

15. thribs

I like Trekyards but I prefer when they cover just the ships and Orville. The STD stuff is fine but there’s way too much of it and it isn’t very interesting

saddestmoon and CaptainMurdock like this.
  16. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I'm still talking shit about it! :lol:

CaptainMurdock likes this.
  17. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wouldn't say nothing alike, Trek Yards are maybe not as bad as the others, but they certainly help them out when they're busy.

KennyB likes this.
  18. thribs

Trekyards have been critical of it, yes but I wouldn’t say they have ever “bashed” it.

19. Tuskin38

Not really

20. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Yeah, I'm surprised to read that, they have been critical (mostly of the designs because they are into visual continuity a lot) but I don't remember them ever bashing it. I could be wrong but I think they even said they wouldn't have any problems with the show it all of it was a reboot because then it wouldn't matter that it has its own visual identity.