The bias of Midnights Edge....

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Infern0, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't know if this thread will be allowed but I just watched some of their videos and was pretty disgusted.

They seem to pump out constant videos bashing Discovery, quoting unnamed "sources" that say the show is failing, and leaking money, and the ratings suck, and netflix are furious, and it's going to be cancelled etc.

These videos actually started over a year prior to Discovery airing, as they seemed to take issue with the casting.

They say Discovery is the "worst show on tv" and claim that "real star trek fans" are being "tortured" with it's presence, all the while praising the Orville, i literally heard one of them say "thank god for the Orville, it's the only thing keeping star trek alive"

I take offence with the "real star trek fans" comment, as I have been a fan for over 20 years and certainly consider myself a real fan.

I don't think discovery is perfect, I wish that they didn't change the klingons, and that they had made more effort to make the visual design fit better with the other prime universe shows, but overall I do enjoy the show and think season 1 was a solid entry.

2. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Haters gonna hate, and post to youtube. You can't stop them, but you can try to ignore them.

I mean, they're here too for sure, just not as loud as the types you're talking about.

I see the kind of vids you mentioned, then I click "not interested" and hopefully never see them again.

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

They're simply playing to an audience for clicks. Most folks know it.

4. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

I really am starting to dislike all YouTubers that are trying to make a living off of talking Trek. As a hobby, fine, if that's your thing, but the ones that are making money for clicks AND starting go-fund-me pages to go to conventions? NO---Get a fucking real job.

Pindar, Lord Garth and guyute03 like this.
  5. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Exactly so.

KennyB likes this.
  6. Serveaux

I feel this way about just about all YouTube chatterers. Be funny or GTFO.

Doomcock probably does believe most of what he says, more or less, but he knows he's clowning for dollars.

Cyrus, KennyB and BillJ like this.
  7. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Just ignore them, as more and more people are starting to do.

8. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

Dennis--agreed. Cat videos, news bloopers........and trailers. That's my use for YouTube these days.........oh and maybe DIY shit for the house and car.

Blooded and Spectre Of The Fun like this.
  9. Serveaux

YouTube is a font of good DYI, it's true.

Pindar and KennyB like this.
  10. Ar-Pharazon

I would probably never have known how to cast an ant colony in molten aluminum or make an axe out of a piece of rail without it ;)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    saddestmoon and KennyB like this.
  11. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

YouTube is weird, man...
    It's personalized for everyone to SUCH a degree, it's really not fun anymore. I watched a lot of movie-making and analysis videos (like "Every frame a painting"). But now my entire Youtube-page is bombarded with these types of videos and less else... I also like "Crash Course" or DIY-videos. But I watch them fewer, and now I have to seek them out specifically, because I don't get recommendations for these anymore, because they're overwhelmed from the one other category of videos...
    Also, there is almost no useful discussion about "YouTube" in general possible anymore - it's SO personalized, no two people have a similar experience on it, not even with close friends.

YouTube really should split up it's user-interface into "this is generally popular", "this is the main type of videos recommended for you" and "hey, here is some stuff related to the stuff you checked out infrequently might new but interesting for you!"

Because Jesus Christ, I don't want to always be bombarded with the familiar stuff in less and less good versions, I really would appreciate to randomly stumble upon some new good stuff I'm unfamiliar with!

Goddamn.

12. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Never heard of them. Only read posts about them here.

13. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    Whose Line is It Anyway; Train Riding/Hobby; Movie Trailers & Non-Critique Star Trek VIdeos...

That's about the extent of my Youtube watching.

Also, MidnightsEdge is not the only one out there posting Trek-Rant vid's.
    After watching part of a ME video, Youtube started pushing other ones into my feed.
    :cool:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  14. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    I forgot to add The Muppets. :biggrin:

15. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

ME are a bunch of muppets. :p

Turtletrekker and KennyB like this.
  16. Serveaux

I watch almost no fan content on YouTube. Certainly not crap titled "Tribute to..." anything or anybody.

Also, anything with "Banned" in the title is stupid clickbait shit.

17. Ar-Pharazon

A big one for me on YT is the DUST channel. Many many short subject sci-fi vids there, and not a bad one to date.

DaveyNY and BillJ like this.
  18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Stuff like this is why I love YouTube...

There are nights I go to sleep with the feed from the ISS playing on my TV.

PT109 and Rahul like this.
  19. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Midnight's Edge is what happens when sad, bitter fanboys find a way to monitise their hate by telling other sad, bitter fanboys what they want to hear. I know for a fact several of their "trusted" Star Trek sources are delusional nutcases.

It's the modern version of this

20. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just clear your browser cache and start hitting more of the YouTube videos you like, and you'll see those type of videos re-populate on your 'YouTube recommends' lists.