The Best and Worst Episode Titles

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Spock's Barber, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I wouldn't count "Elaan." Sure, the episode echoes "The Taming of the Shrew," but the title evokes Helen of Troy, whom Shakespeare never really wrote about. (As opposed to Marlowe.)

2. Phaser Two

Phaser Two Commodore Premium Member

Exactly. That's why I wouldn't be the one making that argument. :bolian:

3. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Best Titles:
    "Where No Man Has Gone Before "
    "Dagger of the Mind"
    "City on the Edge of Forever"
    "Balance of Terror"
    "All Our Yesterday's"
    "Devil in the Dark"

Worst Titles:
    "Space Seed"
    "Operation: Annihilate!"
    "Spock's Brain"
    "Requiem For Methuselah"

Henoch and Phaser Two like this.
  4. Phaser Two

Those are all good choices except I like RFM. I feel like more people would like SB, or recognize it for the wildly entertaining and interesting episode that it is, if it had a different title.

Space Seed is terrible given how many great titles TOS had. Surely something like "Seed of the Past" would have been better and more in keeping with TOS title themes.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    Vger23 likes this.
  5. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Do you mean RFM?

Phaser Two and Vger23 like this.
  6. Vger23

In fairness...only reason for not appreciating RFM is that 6-year-old Vger23 could neither say it nor comprehend what it was supposed to mean!

7. Phaser Two

I did. What the heck is ROM, anyway? :lol: :ouch:

CorporalCaptain likes this.
  8. Phaser Two

Hilarious! I am about your age, then, and I didn't get what the title meant either! But I grew out of it . . . ;)

9. Vger23

Well...no I can't claim the honor of being a first-run fan. I started watching at a very young age (probably 2 or 3) in the late 70's. My parents used to sit me in front of the reruns while they cooked dinner so they could have a moment of peace. I was mesmerized (quite literally) by the colors and spectacular visuals.

I've never stopped watching TOS since then! That was 39 or 40 years ago....

10. Phaser Two

That's me as well, just a couple years earlier. And I found the reruns in syndication and showed my parents, but I don't remember how. I think something from late S3 might have been my very first ep.

11. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

He's a Spaceknight!

12. Anthony Dawson

Anthony Dawson Lieutenant Red Shirt

Completely agree Phaser Two. I was thinking about their use as titles in TV generally. Trek was fairly restrained.

Phaser Two likes this.
  13. Anthony Dawson

Anthony Dawson Lieutenant Red Shirt

I always thought something like "Behold The Mighty". That would apply to Khan but also invoke the poem Ozymandias with its theme of the last remnants of a great empire.
    It would also probably be something Khan would say about himself.

14. Phaser Two

Gotcha. I particularly like that the five titles (if I'm right about the number, and since no less esteemed a personage than Greg Cox appears not to have contested that, I assume I am) are not blindingly obvious or routine Shakespearean quotes, with the probable exception of "By Any Other Name." The phrase "dagger of the mind" is somewhat buried in Macbeth's "is this a dagger that I see before me" speech in much the same way as "all our yesterdays" is an uncommonly quoted (IMO) segment of what I might variously call the "tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow" soliloquy, the "Out, Out brief candle!" solioquy, the "tale told by an idiot" soliloquy, or the "sound and fury" soliloquy. That was a pretty packed speech. I'm not even sure Shakespeare originated "wink of an eye" in (I believe - can't check right now to be sure) A Winter's Tale, and even if he did it certainly entered common parlance after that such that the writers may not have even had it in mind in naming the episode. Finally, while "The Consicence of the King" may seem on the nose given the subject matter of the episode, I don't think it's a particularly oft-quoted element of Hamlet either, at least not compared to all the other material in that somewhat loaded play.

That's great! I love that! Or "Ye Mighty and Despair," or maybe "Might(y) and Despair" or "Look Ye Mighty." Perhaps "Ye" was too archaic for a TOS title. But some variant like you suggested would have put Space Seed (oof; the title gets worse every time I type it thanks to the thoughts prompted by this thread) up there with "Who Mourns" in quoting Shelley. Such an improvement. Nice call.

Anthony Dawson likes this.
  15. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

For Space Seed: 80 Frozen Napoleons

16. Phaser Two

"Sneaking Admiration For This One"

17. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

If we count TAS, we have one more Shakespearean title: "How Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth."

From King Lear.

And, I confess, I didn't realize "Wink of an Eye" had Shakespearean roots. I thought it was just a common expression.

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  18. Phaser Two

Greg, it may well be that the writers didn't know either. But I love the ep and like to lump it in with the Shakespeare titles. And since they liked Shakespearean naming conventions and had a lot of Shakespearean themes in S3 (Elaan, the quoting from The Tempest in Truth/Beauty, Flint having a First Folio in Requiem), I prefer to believe it came from A Winter's Tale.

Good call on "How Sharper." That is a memorable quote from King Lear.

19. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Of course, knowing the definitions of the word Archon might give one some insight into why that name was chosen. Writers often pick names which are metaphors for some element in the story.

Henoch likes this.
  20. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Requiem for Methuselah is a good title for the episode! Methuselah being the longest lived of the Hebrew scribes could easily have been one of Flint's aliases and his oncoming death for being away from the earth would be very soon at that point!
    JB