The Artificial Intelligence Thread

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by rahullak, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

As @rahullak states, it's quite subjective how much influence any one person perceives. There ought to be a way to quantify similarity and a threshold for establishing plagiarism. However, the choice of both algorithm and threshold is subjective, so really it's all quite arbitrary. There are Shannon entropy or other probabilistic measures that compare the similarity of two things, but I don't think they can establish similarity by accident rather than by intent. This is one list of algorithms that I found for comparing pictures: https://pypi.org/project/image-similarity-measures/

rahullak likes this.
  2. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

Image not working

3. Asbo Zaprudder

To be fair, the creature design in Avatar did seem original, although it was obvious biologists had been consulted on the adaptation of the Pandoran fauna to their environment. That the creatures had Earth analogues yet were uniquely different wasn't a surprise.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2023
  4. Asbo Zaprudder

More about the lawsuit and a legal analysis:

F***ing lawyers love this sh*t.

rahullak likes this.
  5. Quantum21

Quantum21 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

AI has been behind the scenes in Wall Street, and the military more than people realize. Narrow AI has been in everyone's hands for years now, but there had to be a point when avg people became aware of AI and where it's heading, and active daily use suddenly brought it to public attention. This happened in the tipping point year of 2022.

2023 is already getting wilder. We're seeing a total shift, in some cases, advancing at a pace more than 10 years earlier than predicted. It'll make the space "age" and information "age" feel like child's play.

Some things we don't like are already becoming apparent. It seems when exposed to open human query, AI parameters supply it with all too human-like responses (certainly not sentient yet of course). Chinese chat bots are on the way with 100 million more parameters than ChatGPT, same with Google. What responses will we see?

One thing is sure, Star Trek will feel like it greatly underestimated this technology.

publiusr likes this.
  6. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

What happens when an AI does ask what am I? I mean it won't happen now or in the near future but it could happen

Ronald Held likes this.
  7. Quantum21

Quantum21 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

8. publiusr

publiusr Vice Admiral Admiral

9. Captain pl1ngpl0ng

Captain pl1ngpl0ng Commodore Commodore

10. publiusr

publiusr Vice Admiral Admiral

Last edited: Mar 26, 2023 at 5:43 AM