The Art of Star Trek: Reanimated - The Sequel

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Ptrope, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

Ptrope, ever heard of xcalpro.com?

He's got a bunch of TOS models, already made in poser format, and he has the complete transporter room set.

Set list

2. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Yes, I'm actually a member at XCalPro ;). I started out dl'ing some of the sets and props he's got over there, and then I got the urge to model my own - what good is having Lightwave if I don't use it, right ;)? Great stuff, though; he just posted a corridor set that's modeled after the Stage 9 layout, so one could conceivably create animations using the same shots as used in TOS :techman:.

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  3. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

do you have a link to that corridor set?

I'm not seeing it there.

4. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

5. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Just playing around with Pike's quarters - it's not in "The Time Trap," but I'm thinking it might be possible to redress the set as a Klingon set ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Building his 'entertainment center' was fun! The hard part is going to be figuring out what was going on with the chair that had the camera attached to it. Plus, much of this is conjectural, at best, since there's so little material to go on. I'm considering making this a post-pilot set, using details from the ongoing series rather than sticking to the goosenecks and chairs from "The Cage." Who knows, maybe the room continued to exist after Pike's tenure, but Kirk chose different quarters? Maybe this is M'Ress's quarters now? :techman:

6. Raider

Raider Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

What...no wall mounted flat screen? :)

7. doctorwho 03

doctorwho 03 Captain Captain

I kinda wonder if that TV is what led into the design of the breifing room monitor.

Nice looking room, in any case. :thumbsup:

8. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ptrope? You might want to investigate access to your site. Hopefully it's just a temporary server issue or something, but I can not reach it at the time I'm posting.

Just a friendly "heads up". Take care!

Sincerely,

Bill

9. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Thanks! That's an interesting observation; I hadn't thought about it that way, but you may be onto something!
    It's working fine for me; as long as the images show up here, the site should also be up and running. Thanks for the heads up; it may just have been a temporary glitch with the ISP.

Hey, I like this "multi-quote" feature! :thumbsup:

10. TIN_MAN

TIN_MAN Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Has anyone ever thought of using the circular cieling from Pike's quarters as a possible cieling for the bridge? It would make a good one IMHO.

11. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Another interesting thought, that ^^; I may give it a try, since I'm finishing up the bridge conversion. As Scotty said, "I'll let ye know!" :D

In the meantime, here's another shot in the 'Cage' quarters, with Danoz's Horga'hn model also converted to Poser. Nice model!

[​IMG][​IMG]

I also have added a (re)movable divider, seen here on the left, to both add a bit more interest to the room and to continue its refit as a TOS-era set that we simply didn't see during the run of the series. I find it interesting that only in "The Cage" did we see someone's quarters where they might just relax and watch a little TV ... I don't think that happened again until Tom Paris's TV in VOY, did it?

12. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

Are you going to do this in Widescreen? I think it'd look good in widescreen...

13. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Yep; I'm planning to render this at 800x450, which is 16:9. I've already done some of the artwork at that ratio, and I like the way it looks, too. It just happens that my Poser default is 800x800, so that's why most of the Poser WIPs are big and square ;)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
  14. Raider

Very nice.

15. Redfern

The circular ceiling partition...Wasn't it also used to partially "dress" the briefing rooms we saw in both "The Cage" and "Where no Man..."? Or was that a separate, dedicated element? I know the "WNMHGB" briefing room "ceiling component" was supported by grilled pylons, but I can't check TrekCore at the moment to see if "The Cage" briefing area also had those tapered support dividers. I rather liked that design and thought it might have worked well for the main production.

Oh, well, a missed opportunity.

Sincerely,

Bill

16. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Yep, the overhead grille also appears to have been used in the briefing room:

[​IMG]
    (image courtesy of TrekCore.com)

I liked that briefing room; it definitely had a Forbidden Planet vibe to it ... :bolian:

17. Raider

...only Klingon Captain's get a chair...

:)

18. Redfern

Ah, I see you've already posted this one onto ShareCG:

http://www.sharecg.com/v/23734/poser/Starship-Pilot-Quarters---Refit

Kinda' "snuck" this one out there, didn't ya'? No announcements or anything...

Since I just noticed it and I'm at work, obviously, I can't load and render it. Ergo, no armchair reviews until I return home. However, I can "see" this set being redressed as other rooms, say, like the (literally) central computer core, a StarBase office, etc.

Sincerely,

Bill

19. Redfern

Well, I had a chance to try this set. I will admit I had some problems loading the .PZ3 scene file; it kept "freezing" both Poser 4 and Poser 6. Fortunately, the individual parts loaded fine. I'm linking a couple renders.

I call the first one, "Traitor!!!" (I mean, look what's on the tele'!!!)

[​IMG]

(Just kiddin' any LiS fans present. Since I own a life-sized animatronic replica of B9, I can't loathe the show too much, can !?)

This second is a slightly more serious experiment, playing with shadows. That ceiling element can certainly create some interesting moods.

[​IMG]

You'll notice Ptrope modified the set from his earlier samples posted earlier. The "Porthole" and the bunk is now more or less centered with two "night stands". Ptrope already mentioned the new wall and grille divider.

Sincerely,

Bill

20. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Sorry to hear about it "freezing" your Poser, Redfern; I'll look into the PZ3 and see if there are rogue elements left in there from the problems I had previously with the individual pieces. It loaded fine on my machine, but that may not be indicative. [EDIT: I found a couple absolute references in the PZ3 - I've corrected all the references and re-upped the file]

Very astute, noting the movement of the bed; I had originally based that nook on the art at Ex-Astris-Scientia, but upon rewatching "The Menagerie," I noticed that Pike sat up on the bed and swiveled away from the camera, putting his feet down on the floor on the opposite side of the bed, making it obvious that there was floor space over there and that the bed was not up against the wall. That also made more sense for the placement of the window, so I shifted things into the center and went for some symmetry :bolian:

I like those images! As you said, you can build some moods with that ceiling, since it is unattached to the side walls and allows for some interesting light play in the room. Here is my own most recent render of the room:

[​IMG][​IMG]

I included Danoz's horga'hn again, and my own Tubular Bell model. I got the chess board from R'osity, way back, and the communicator from XcalPro. Once again, I could easily see this set redressed as Klingon - I'm thinking about using it for the scene where Kor gives the female Klingon the bomb to plant on Enterprise ... :D